The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya Mk.VIII Spitfire - Lonesome Polecat, Lt. Bill Skinner, 308thFS

So here it is as of 2010 before it was rescued from "The Shelf of Dooooooommmm!"

What it started as.... WIP here - http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/810-rescued-from-the-shelf-of-dooooomm-tamiya-mkviii-spit/

DSC00396.jpg

And finished as Lt. Bill Skinner's Lonesome Polecat of the  308th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group, Castel Volturno, Italy, April 1944.

Quickboost exhausts, Barracuda Resin Wheels and Mk.VIII decals were used for the National Markings and some stencils that were applied. Tamiya Decals used for the Nose art, kill markers and Squadron Codes. Weathered using AK Interactive and some of the Tamiya Weathering Master set.

DSC01088-1.jpg

DSC01096-1.jpg

DSC01090-1.jpg

DSC01092-1.jpg

DSC01093-1.jpg

DSC01094-1.jpg

DSC01095-1.jpg

• Like 3

• Members

Outstanding, Dave!  Did you detail the engine?  I'm thinking about doing a Kiwi version for the Pacific GB but don't feel like getting bogged down with all that engine detail, especially after seeing guys like Wolf Buddee do his I can kind of feel like anything I would do in that department is "amateur hour".

• Like 1

Cheers Guys! Much appreciated!

Outstanding, Dave!  Did you detail the engine?  I'm thinking about doing a Kiwi version for the Pacific GB but don't feel like getting bogged down with all that engine detail, especially after seeing guys like Wolf Buddee do his I can kind of feel like anything I would do in that department is "amateur hour".

I detailed the engine for the Mk.XVI that I did for MIM... I spent 4-5 hours doing it... This time I just glued the cowls in place!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great Job on a nice spit. I think there are some colour pics  of the plae and its pilot in one of the Ethell/Sands books. 

Jean, it is great and encouraging to learn that scale models are watched and appreciated by relatives of former pilots. 

• Like 1