The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1D/FG-1D

Yes children, ANOTHER Corsair build. LOL :)

I had started this build last year but set it aside to finish "later". Now is "later". I want to do a overall GSB a/c that isn't too heavily weathered. Either a carrier borne a/c or maybe a Marine one on Okinawa. At this point none are set in stone but one that I like is "Skipper's Orchid". I just ordered the decals from Fine Art of Decals so I guess this is the one I will do. 😀

11-23-20 001.jpg

Vought-F4U-1D-Corsair-MAG-22-HQSS-22-White-99-Skippers-Orchid-Ie-Shima-1945-01.jpg

Vought-F4U-1D-Corsair-MAG-22-HQSS-22-White-99-Skippers-Orchid-Ie-Shima-1945-02.jpg

• Like 15

John

Go Buddy Go. I'm all charged up for another Corsair build. Your front office looks brilliant and if I didn't know any better, I would swear the seat belts and shoulder harnesses were the real deal. How did you do them?

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Go Buddy Go. I'm all charged up for another Corsair build. Your front office looks brilliant and if I didn't know any better, I would swear the seat belts and shoulder harnesses were the real deal. How did you do them?

Keep 'em comin

Peter

John is the only person I know that had managed to get the Fine Mold seat belts to look and drape like the real thing. Every time I tried, they either melted or snapped apart. Which is why I sent him all the ones I had left. 

Oh, and awesome start to the Corsair John. 

• Like 5

John

Keep 'em comin

Peter

LOL Peter. Thanks! Those belts are the plastic Fine Molds belts. All you have to do to them is, using some tweezers, hold them up to a hot light bulb and warm 'em up. THEN you can bend them to shape, etc. :)

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

John is the only person I know that had managed to get the Fine Mold seat belts to look and drape like the real thing. Every time I tried, they either melted or snapped apart. Which is why I sent him all the ones I had left. 

Oh, and awesome start to the Corsair John. 

And I appreciated the belts too! :)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JohnB said:

LOL Peter. Thanks! Those belts are the plastic Fine Molds belts. All you have to do to them is, using some tweezers, hold them up to a hot light bulb and warm 'em up. THEN you can bend them to shape, etc. :)

Do you have any hot light bulbs left, that's so 19xx :D. Belts and pit are looking great John.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Do you have any hot light bulbs left, that's so 19xx :D. Belts and pit are looking great John.

Cheers Rob

LOL Rob! I keep a good supply on hand. :) Thanks!!!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Working on the engine. Got the "spider" glued up! :)

7-31-21 001.jpg

That looks great John!

Clever idea to glue the wires to the back of the ring!

I sweat tears to drill 2 tiny holes into each of the outlets for my Corsair engine:

C050803C-45D3-4664-872F-3944821969FE.thumb.jpeg.9b5db72c62f979a88362debe3012c167.jpeg3CF35168-43AD-4200-B18F-0E3314E145F2.thumb.jpeg.63b518e83c29ce2bdd67e6be3c3b934c.jpeg

Curious how your engine will turn out! 

• Like 7

John

Thanks for the "tricks of the trade" and absolutely the best way to attach the ignition leads to the ring. Technique added to my tool chest👍

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

Thanks Peter. :)

• Like 1

I decide the copper wires I used were just too stiff and were hard to bend resulting in them popping off the harness. I pulled all of them off and used lead wire instead which is much more malleable. That's what I had used in previous builds with good results. :)

8-1-21 001.jpg

• Like 7
  • Confused 1