Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

I need a new airbrush

GazzaS

Hi guys and gals.

I want to get an airbrush with a broader coverage for priming and other applications.  I hate trying to prime with coverage of only 3-5 mm wide strips.    Of course...  I have to buy what I can find here in Australia.  What kind of setup should I get?  Needle thickness?  And what else should I know?  I watched a Paul Budzick video on airbrushes once and he recommended an airgun for the purpose.  Airguns seem to be quite expensive.  What do y'all say.

• Like 1

Hi Gaz

over the years, I’ve settled into using four double action air brushes:

Priming and clear cotes - Iwata Revolution with. .5 tip

All color cotes - Two H&S Infinity CR Plus with a .2 and .4 tip

Model Air Paints - Grex with a .3 Tip

Absolutely not necessary at all - just seems to work for me.

if I was going to use just one air brush, any double action AB with a tip either .3-.35 fills the bill nicely.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 3

Gaz, For priming and covering larger area, I use my very first air brush - a single action, siphon feed Badger 350 with a medium nozzle. For priming, I've come to rely on Mr. Surfacer 1500 (black); I read somewhere that it contains very fine particles of granite. I won't run it through my Iwata. The Badger is cheap, and mine's been working well for over 30 years.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Gaz, For priming and covering larger area, I use my very first air brush - a single action, siphon feed Badger 350 with a medium nozzle. For priming, I've come to rely on Mr. Surfacer 1500 (black); I read somewhere that it contains very fine particles of granite. I won't run it through my Iwata. The Badger is cheap, and mine's been working well for over 30 years.

Bill

I wish my' old body' of bones worked that well 🙃

I never knew that about Mr Surfacer 1500 - interesting for sure

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Hi Gaz

over the years, I’ve settled into using four double action air brushes:

Priming and clear cotes - Iwata Revolution with. .5 tip

All color cotes - Two H&S Infinity CR Plus with a .2 and .4 tip

Model Air Paints - Grex with a .3 Tip

Absolutely not necessary at all - just seems to work for me.

if I was going to use just one air brush, any double action AB with a tip either .3-.35 fills the bill nicely.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

17 hours ago, mark31 said:

you cant go wrong with H&S

I have two and very happy with them

Before i had a badger not bad but when i had my H&S wow what a difrence

Mark

12 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Guys,

Thank you for your thoughtful answers.

• Like 1

Tamiya make a very simple gravity feed trigger style airbrush. I have one somewhere that I completely forgot about until your post. In fact it was my first airbrush. It's black and red,  and mostly plastic.  I'm going to try and find mine if I can and I'll post pics if/when I do. 

Carl

• Like 3

For coverage of larger areas, and for clear or flat coating, I use my old Paasche model

H single actions. They are reliable, easy to use ,and cheap. They work very well. For everything else I use my 5 Iwatas; with their .3, .35, and .5 tips.

The Iwata Eclipse bcs bottle feed is also great for covering larger areas with

its .5mm tip, but its harder to clean than the simple Paasche models.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GusMac said:

For all 'proper' paint work l use my H&S Infinity but for priming and clear coats l use a cheap Chinese replica l got off evilBay for roughly 20 euros with a .5mm tip. Works like a dream.

I was about to argue the same. If the goal is broad coverage, the cheap knockoffs you find on EBay and other sites are good enough in most cases.

Hubert

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

So I found my old Tamiya airbrush. Man, is it simple. It's mostly plastic and single action. There's no air valve so the air just seems to flow through it constantly. I can't recall if that's the way it's always been but I tried it and it still works. HLJ has them for around $30 so I was half tempted to get a new one to see. 

That of course led me down a rabbit hole and I ended up getting something else instead. I found a Procon Boy double action trigger style airbrush on eBay for $130 CAD and the seller shipped it via FeDEx. 

PXL_20210903_192443987.thumb.jpg.ce3059bf052da22627da482fde2efb0f.jpg

It's got a fan style spray pattern that you adjust from vertical to horizontal so should give the coverage desired. I'll give it a try later this weekend and let you know how it works. 

Carl

• Like 5

Buying the cheap Chinese airbrushes doesn't make sense to me. Why would you pay

$150.00 for a model but pay so little on an Airbrush? If you want a quality tool as important for our hobby as an airbrush is you should be willing to pay a bit more than

$39.00 for some knock off. The Iwata Eclipse series are great, versatile airbrushes that

are not all that more expensive yet work very well plus they have Iwata's great reputation behind them. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. I recently got a very nice Iwata HP-C plus

at a sale price that was ony slightly higher than was paid for my Eclipse. It's a beauty.

• Like 5