Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

PZL P.11c - Polish Fighter - IBG - 1/32

@KevinM, @GazzaS, @Peterpools,
Thank you Señhores. I'm not finally decided about the body panels, but tend to leave them open in the end. There is too much fine detail to see and I feel, that the open panels don't distract that much from the elegant shape of the plane, a reason, why I normally leave the fuselages closed.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Prime time - err - primer time. Since I can't get my prime Tamiya rattle can primer anymore to my island, I changed to Mr. Surfacer, thinned wit two thirds of leveling thinner and sprayed with one bar air pressure, which works great and looks almost like the Tamiya stuff. The ratio and pressure was a tip of a LHS-keeper here in Spain, and I love the results.

Maybe tomorrow, I will start with oil brush painting, which makes me a bit nervous, as I never tried it before. 

Cheers Rob

IMG_9345.thumb.JPG.10044ae5566276e8924baec2eb2dab15.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks good there Rob. I like the shield for the engine. 

For Tamiya primer, it also comes in bottles. It does need to be thinned but that may be another option for you. 

Thanks Carl, the shield was made, because I don't wanted to use adhesive tape on the fragile backside of the engine and fixed it into place with some strips of tape to the crankcase.
I know about the Tamiya primer, but the Mr. Surfacer does the job very good.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Quick progress, Rob!  I'll be interested in seeing your painting method.   I've never actually painted with oils.  Just weathered over acrylic or lacquer.

Since a year, I'm using oils more often and not only for some thinner spread dots for weathering. It started with replicating wood texture and leather surfaces and the next step was to paint complete figures with oils. I started to enjoy the fine layering and blending effects and the thought was born to paint a complete kit with oils. 
I have no real plan, how to do it and will start and see how everything works. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

First oil color is on. I mixed the Polish gray according to my reference Hataka color (upper dot on the carton), using Abteilung oils, in this case black and faded German gray and Abteilung's fast drying thinner (second dot) as a base layer. 
For application, I used mainly a saw brush and started with a medium thinned (milk consistence) gray mix, to cover the whole underside of the wing.
After a short (not completely) drying time I applied a darker and way thinner mix only on the corrugated metal in the direction of the airflow, working wet in wet.
Another short drying period was followed by a very dry mix of very light color (dot number four), applied with a very flat angled brush from wingtip to wingtip, for highlighting the spars.
Last, I used a darker shade of the heavy thinned mix, randomly dotted onto the corrugated sheets.
Finally I used the dry saw brush, to blend a bit in the direction of the airflow and dotted some dry paint onto the metal planked edges.

I like the result, which is a super thin layer, not obscuring any detail. Hard to see on the pics, though.

IMG_9349.thumb.JPG.e1834560910dcf26cb8e860c57724273.JPG

IMG_9350.thumb.JPG.7fd02ec0aa0316ab207084f113bf4c7c.JPG

IMG_9351.thumb.JPG.d7218f03209871b7050eff7b306f2f17.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Rob

Nice work on some open filed running with switching primers as Tamiya Ratttlecan Primer is no longer available on your island. I've tried Mr Surfacer 12000 thinned with Self Leveling Thinners, which worked very well. Before switching to Mr Surfacer, I tried MRP Fine Surface Gray Primer (MRP-084) and just love it. If you can get it on the island, give it a try.

I'm eating up your oil painting technique and not only find it fascinating and it seems to a be a fantastic painting technique equal to the good old air brush and ahead of it when it comes to painting and weathering in one procedure.  Can't wait to see how it works on the fuselage smooth skin as compared to the corrugated aluminum wings.

Fantastic progress.👍

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Peter, oil painting works as expected, it has it's positive aspects, like very fine layering, perfect ability to blend colors, like you mentioned, painting and primary weathering in one stage, ... But it has limitations as well. Masking would not be recommended as the very heavy thinned oil color will go under the masks and if masking material sticks onto oil painted surfaces without destroying them is also a question.
I guess, oil painting is limited to monochrome (maybe two color) subjects, which shouldn't look new. I can imagine using oils for ships, specially for the hull, where you can accentuate the different panels, easy made with a flat brush. Tanks are also a possibility and If everything works out with the PZL, there is a ready build 1/16 Chinese Tanquette waiting for an interesting monochrome paint job, including the commander.

In the moment, MR. Surfacer and levelling thinner works good for me and if I've found a combo like this, I use it exclusively, as I know all the pros and cons. I try to learn new techniques with every build, some builds, I only started because of new techniques to conquer. This is made easier, if you have some trusty elements in a build and primer is so important.

Cheers Rob  

• Like 4

The first layer of Polish brown is applied. Opposite to the corrugated wings, I used slightly thicker color and worked it into the surface step by step with dabbing moves, followed by streaking brushes, very lightly along the fuselage. I used a mix of Abteilung basic earth and olive green for the mix, which will be varied for other layers, which will be applied after drying.
The result looks a bit streaky, but this will become finer and finer with every pass of the brush. The application method needs some patience.

Cheers Rob

IMG_9352.thumb.JPG.e257676e70a01a68a18195357f47fd66.JPG

IMG_9354.thumb.JPG.cbe0bf8743e1a28b8bb75dd35b02831a.JPG

IMG_9356.thumb.JPG.4a60e290d226603721699d5237e90f6f.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I didn’t even know you could use these as a complete finish.

Thank you Phil, I didn't know before either, but this result is what I hoped for and expected.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Brush-painting is heavily underrated. I use to do everything with brush, but got lazy and comfortable. Great work Rob, this technique is little scary to watch at the beginning , but I already know that the depth you can achieve with patience and careful layering will pay off at the end.

Cheers

M.

full?d=1534672689

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Holy Cow, looking fantastic at this stage and I can only imagine how awesome it is going to look after more layers have been applied and allowed to dry.

13 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Copy Gary. Thanks for explaining the technique Rob.

Great result so far!

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

:popcorn:  Lots of great comments from the crew I can only echo.

Muchas gracias Amigos, this is only the beginning, but it's interesting to see, how different the surfaces have to be treated. The corrugated wings cry for more thinned laers, where the fuselage painting needs a dryer mix, which has to thoroughly work into the surface, to spread the oil color in very fine layers.
The good thing with the oils is, you can easily remove unwanted results with thinner, but this can also happen to a finished layer, which can be ruined by a second coat with too much thinning. It's trail and error and lots to learn :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3