The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Dragon Panther A with Zimmerit

Hello friends,

With my 1/48 scale build getting a little tedious on my brain, I've jumped into some armor for fun.

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.349e9f5d9db250fa3f9565dbfc6ac187.JPG

The kit had belonged to a member of my club who passed away.  Other members of his multiple clubs divvied up and disposed of over a semi-load of kits, the proceeds went to his family.  There was a pack of Cavalier Zimmerit in the box all of which I got for a nice price.

It's an older kit with a two piece barrel with an integral muzzle brake.   It doesn't have a lot of parts, and I may still have to get some metal grills for the engine hood.

IMG_0328.thumb.JPG.19b7a7a1babcff6f72aaa9fb61f7a8c8.JPG

The Cavalier Zimmerit has to be sanded on the back side to make it thinner and make it rougher to adhere better to the plastic parts.  Here are all of the Zimmerit sheets and their corresponding plastic parts.

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.5e7ffdf32fcffd5fd4606931ff6e740c.JPG

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.58521cdc0c83750ccef8bdf67d026942.JPG

IMG_0326.thumb.JPG.922625935709730c96f6d176f8ed213e.JPG

I haven't worked out diorama or base plans.  I want to keep this one relatively simple...  No other vehicles...   maybe just the crew in a rolling situation...

Anyways...   hope you can follow along!

IMG_0325.JPG

• Like 13

11 hours ago, DocRob said:

That looks sweet Gaz, somehow I have a soft spot for Panthers and Jagdpanthers. The pattern of the Zimmerit looks nicely uneven.

Cheers Rob

Thank you Rob.  I agree the Panthers and Jagdpanthers are very attractive machines.  I like the roughness of the zimm, too... but if I were making it myself I would have tried to go thinner.  But I haven't done this pattern, yet.  I've done it on Tigers I and II, Sturmtiger, and Brummbar. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

A nice start there Gaz. I've used Atak zimmerit a couple times but haven't tried the Cavalier stuff. It does have a nice unevenness to it which adds character.

Carl

Thank you Carl.  I haven;t done Atak yet.  But unfortunately for both of us, Cavalier is long out of business.  This sheet had to be ironed first because after years of storage many pieces were no longer flat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Nice start on the Panther. Not knowing much about armor,  looks quite the project and a bit complicated with the Zimmerit.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter.  You really should give an armor kit a go.  Might be the thing on a day when your mojo isn't up to detail painting nor snow shoveling.  I heartily recommend an Asuka Sherman.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone!

Alas, all that glitters is not gold, and AM made for your specific kit may not fit perfectly.   I found another huge bubble in the Panther's Mantlet.   To make it more interesting I almost dissolved it by causing an exothermic reaction between ultra thin super glue and baking soda, too.

IMG_0336.thumb.JPG.1d356e7d4e4456d4de7d50bba4d4ad5a.JPG

On the bright side, my wife decided we needed another dog.  We got him on the 2nd of January.  His name is Kaiser.

IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.4c4c8ffaee84bc7a48a1ab2acb0e7feb.JPG

He does take me away from the bench quite a bit.

The following three photos show gaps in the coverage of the zimmerit.  Pretty self explanatory and I'll try to fix it when I have a little more time.

IMG_0332.thumb.JPG.9cb6ecee7702ec1ca0e8b2e82ddcc0e6.JPGIMG_0334.thumb.JPG.b1cb63cecdb39e2807cd7ce513b30412.JPGIMG_0335.thumb.JPG.c34e4d3a9d2c65af5def429669f73482.JPG

Happy Modelling!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Peter.  You really should give an armor kit a go.  Might be the thing on a day when your mojo isn't up to detail painting nor snow shoveling.  I heartily recommend an Asuka Sherman.

Gaz

Just might happen as during the reno, I might find a place to build but no painting until everythig is done.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Well done surgery on the Zimmerit Gary!

And Kaiser is so cute! Hope that he won’t reduce your benchtime too much…

Thank you, Kai.  I'll certainly be glad once he is toilet trained.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Being too tired for much modelling during the week I wasted time in the usual way after work...   sitting on the Lazyboy, watching TV and surfing the internet...  Mostly facebook.

So. I happened on a post on facebook where some dude had applied Tamiya Zimmerit on a Tamiya kit.  His results weren't too hot, and you could tell that his zimmerit was on sheets.  Thinking on my build, I had the same problem...   it was just a wee bit less visible. 

So today I did a bit of shaping, sanding, and painting to see how it will look.  Here are some macro photos showing my results.  The smooth spots are the faults.

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

These macro photos are pretty helpful even if you find them boring.

Thanks for looking

• Like 7

This reminds me of a video I recently watched on YouTube about Zimmerit.

They described in detail about how it was applied, its purpose,who manufactured it,its

chemical make up, and the drying process after applying it. Very informative. If I could

find the video again, I'll post it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Looks perfectly regular irregular to my eye. With paint on and normal viewing distance it will shine.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob.  It will bug me if I don't do something about it.  It won;t me a major re-work or anything...   just add a little texture here and there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

This reminds me of a video I recently watched on YouTube about Zimmerit.

They described in detail about how it was applied, its purpose,who manufactured it,its

chemical make up, and the drying process after applying it. Very informative. If I could

find the video again, I'll post it. 

I read what it was made of the other day...   but the only component I can remember is sawdust.

• Like 2