The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby Whirlwind

Peter, 

I know how you feel. The frustration of thinking you're almost across the finish line and then to hit the biggest speed bump. 

Taking a break sounds like a good idea. The bench will be there. Hopefully without a mojo killer on it. 

Carl

• Like 3

Thanks Dennis

For me, there is a line in the sand I won't cross and when I do, frustration and aggravation has surpassed enjoyment and relaxation. Working on a kit with zero enjoyment and problems still piling up, I know that no matter what stage it's at, I'll never go back to it; re as it is, it's off to the bin. Lesson learned and hopefully time to move on.

• Like 2

Peter, I’ve almost been there myself.  My Fisher Cougar almost met the same fate right near the end.  I walked away, poured myself a good stiff Scotch and relaxed a bit.  Had to keep reminding myself that building models is fun and relaxing. All I could see was $$$$ and I think that’s the only reason it survived. 

• Like 7

Thanks Scott

For what the Cougar cost and the fact there aren't any around, you made the right choice. The Whirlwind was halfway to the bin but when I spilled the extra thin on two of the gear doors, that all it took to push me over the edge. 

I do feel a lot better today and once the recyclables are picked up on Wednesday, I'm sure I'll start to feel the juices retuning.

• Like 4

I fully understand, there are simply moments in life, when the relief of binning it,  is actually a satisfactory pay off for all of the frustration along the way. I know, this sounds like complete heresy , but that is just it. Building kit should be pleasant and enjoyable mental exercise , not a semi-masochistic, whip me harder kind of ...

P-40 will fix you up my friend 

• Like 5

Peter,

I have a newish philosophy/plan when it comes to tin engined or new-to-me birds:  Before I get too deep, I tape together those nacelles, snip the lg covers from the sprue (taping on the part number on each, just in case) and seeing how they will fit and if they might have troubles competing for space with the lg legs later.  

Newer kits usually have a lot of tab to fit into a notch...   But you cant trust anyone. 

• Like 4

Peter, completely understand, I’ve undergone over 20 major orthopedic surgeries and always thought modeling is a good therapy to have in all those “down” days.. the frustration of just everyday pain and lack of mobility combined with a “temper” sometimes ended with a model ending with far more pieces than the kit began with.. many kits thrown across the room for premature flight tests.   I always come back after a time tho and I’m sure you will too! Hang in there buddy

mike (irishman1)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks Martin, you hit it right on the head. I should have been a lot smarter and realized that when the enjoyment and fun evaporated, I should have just packed up the Whirlwind and moved on - struggling and fighting the kit was completely opposite of why I look forward to building. I've had enough frustration and issues to deal with these past few years and surely didn't need a model kit to add to it. Lesson learned.

• Like 3

Gaz

I was just too bull-headed and should have done just that, but I kept on plowing ahead, trying to resolve issue after issue - some caused strictly by me and others by the kit. Unfortunately, the undoing was the gear assembly and gear doors, which couldn't be test fitted until after painting and then it was too late - I was committed and paid the price. I've learned my lesson and moving on.

• Like 4

Thanks Mike - right there with you I should have been smart enough to accept the fact that when the fun and enjoyment left the party, I should have packed it in. Same here, way too many serious issues to deal with, the Whirlwind was just a bad choice. I'm moving on with the P-40 when the juices start to flow and the modeling mojo is back - hopefully sooner then later.

• Like 4

On 10/19/2022 at 8:39 AM, Peterpools said:

Thanks Mike - right there with you I should have been smart enough to accept the fact that when the fun and enjoyment left the party, I should have packed it in. Same here, way too many serious issues to deal with, the Whirlwind was just a bad choice. I'm moving on with the P-40 when the juices start to flow and the modeling mojo is back - hopefully sooner then later.

Perhaps just a fondle of the sprues and a read through the instructions may fire up the mojo, nothing like a fondle……

• Like 3

I really hate to hear this Peter as the Whirlwind was really looking good. However, I completely understand as I too have "been there done that". I expect it happens to anyone who builds models for any length of time. Thankfully not a frequent occurrence. Step back for a bit and chill. When you think you might be ready to resume building, pick a easy peasy kit to get your mojo back. Hopefully that will be soon.

John:)

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Unless it's Pearl Harbor. What a travesty. 

27 minutes ago, JohnB said:

True but it sure had some good flying sequences. Those were the only redeeming factors.

I was thinking Flying Tigers .    But I didn't feel the need to be so direct with the title.

• Like 2

Phil

I'm calming down and fell the juices starting to flow. I've been reading the instructions for the P-40 and am going to try and make a start with the engine, as my Quinta Studio Decal set hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle this weekend.

• Like 2

Thanks John

It happens and I just didn't see it coming as I managed to square away all the other obstacles. For lesson learned and I'm sticking to the type of kit I enjoy and if it looks like a fight right from the start, at my age, might just be better to move on right there and then and build a kit I find satisfying and rewarding without the need to keep banging my head against the wall.

• Like 3