The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Another ZM Bf109G!

3 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

One of these days, I'm going to tackle the IP.

If you're using the clear one, watch out for the locating pin in the bottom right corner. It goes right where the instrument decal is supposed to. I clipped it off and will just use PVA to glue on the knob that is mounted there.

Otherwise the wings look good. 

• Like 2

She's got legs - and an engine!

DSCN2953-1.jpg

Masks removed from the IP...

DSCN2954-1.jpg

I used one of my Waldron sets to punch out individual instrument decals. Getting them centered in the punch can be difficult; I shine a bright light from the bottom to get it right.

DSCN2955-1.jpg

I used future to get the decals to adhere to the back of the IP. I didn't bother removing the paper backing.

DSCN2956-1.jpg

That's it for now. I'm preparing to attend a contest/show in Syracuse NY this weekend.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 10/13/2022 at 4:53 PM, Bill_S said:

I used one of my Waldron sets to punch out individual instrument decals. Getting them centered in the punch can be difficult; I shine a bright light from the bottom to get it right

Bill all is looking good Sir and thanks for that tip always had problems with getting them centered ;)

• Like 3

Bill

Nice work on the IP. She sure looks good up on her legs and the engine installed.

I bought my Waldron Punch set over 50 years ago, still have it and still use it. Except for a few Xacto tools, the punch set was my first real tool - geez, where did all those years go? 

• Like 3

Wings are mounted. At this point, they're only cemented to the belly pan; I'll wait to cement the spar until just prior to fitting the upper fairing.

DSCN2964-1.jpg

The leading edge fairings are just set in place. I think I'm going to have to fill a gap on the bottom.

DSCN2965-1.jpg

I've begun work on the tail as well.

The join is definitely a little high - I spent a few minutes with a riffler file on the other side. It looks like this now.

DSCN2969-1.jpg

I took some measurements on the rudder. From what I can tell, a piece of 0.020" (0.5 mm) Evergreen rod should be a good start.

DSCN2971-1.jpg

DSCN2972-1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Coming together nicely Bill. I hope your tail fix will works and you continue to cruise with the build. I think, you maxed out the possibilities with the IP, but the plastic itself looks soft and toyish to my eye :2c:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've got the tail sorted. It still needs some fine sanding. I got a little over zealous with the file.

DSCN2979-1.jpg

DSCN2980-1.jpg

DSCN2974-1.jpg

The leading edge fairings have a small gap. I hope the mis-fit doesn't cause problems later. Be mindful of which set you use; one (the "long" one) is for open cowlings the other for closed cowlings.

DSCN2985-1.jpg

I've begun on the underside of the engine cowling. I forgot to put in the radiator faces prior to assembly. I checked, and I can pop them in without having to disassemble.

DSCN2983-1.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Bill,

I see that you are now getting some of the same issues I had attaching the wings.  I apologize for modding your photo...

DSCN2985-1mod.thumb.jpg.257d12befca670f901505e9233cddc0b.jpg

The gaps at red arrows required thin shims, and the yellow arrow gap caused me to break the wing joins completely.  Remove some of those interior detail points, and completely re-attach, instead of sanding off that cluster of bolt heads and put filler in the gap.  It was a messy, imprecise surgery.

• Like 5

Hello Bill

from what i've read in a discussion where  Radu Brinzan explained it, there is a missing pipe from ZM.

Sorry I can't find it through LSP.

This one in yellow

3g5xgu.jpg

hope this helps and if anyone can help to find at the discussion?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bill

Nice progress and your 'fixes' worked so sell in correcting the kit issues. Just a shame ZM spent so much time on a lot of never to be seen details and maybe should have devoted that energy to part fit.

Just a shame these gremlins worked their way into a kit that had such great promise  

• Like 2