The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Another ZM Bf109G!

Hernia surgery last week - a couple of days after my local club's show/contest. Lots of time on my hands, so I decided to start this kit.

DSCN2922-1.jpg

I don't build many Luftwaffe planes; this will be my first 109 since I built Revell's kit as a kid. I'm sticking with Hartmann's mount, and putting all the engine detail on in case I want to display it with engine cowls off.

I think I counted 57 parts for the engine assembly.

DSCN2923-1.jpg

DSCN2924-1.jpg

Still some plumbing to do on the engine, but everything fits great!

DSCN2926-1.jpg

DSCN2925-1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Bill

Hoping your recovery is as fast as possible and the pain is easing up after the surgery.

Nice start on your ZM 109 .. engine assembly and bearer look spot on. I've been chomping at the bit to start mine but I need to first finish the Whirlwind. Just could be this might be a mini GB at this rate.

Will be following with great interest:popcorn:

• Like 5

Thanks for the kind comments. I got a little sidetracked with the issues experienced by Gazzas... I'm a little farther along than Carl at this point, but I'm certain he'll soon eclipse me.

White glue thinned with a couple of drops of red food coloring.

DSCN2927-1.jpg

It makes a great masking fluid; the red is useful for applying it to the clear IP.

DSCN2928-1.jpg

The engine (minus exhaust shrouds is complete.

DSCN2934-1.jpg

A lot of piping; it goes together very well.

DSCN2936-1.jpg

I masked contact areas between the fuselage halves and the bulkheads to (hopefully) eliminate fit issues when the halve go together.

DSCN2937-1.jpg

I don't know if it was necessary, but the halves go together without any issues.

Quite a bit of the cockpit is done as well. Zero fit issues.

DSCN2938-1.jpg

DSCN2939-1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Bill

Tremendous progress and your detail painting is exceptional. Glad to see you haven't had any fit issues and I'm sure, knowing now what to look for help you to be prepared and ready to adapt to what needs to be done. Looking mighty good.

• Like 2

There is something like a 109 G hype noticeably here lately :D. Nice detail work on engine and cockpit with yours. I don't mask the gluing surfaces on spars and other parts, but clean them with a swipe of a fiber pen, when it comes to WNW tolerances.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I needed to finish the tail wheel assembly; it's the last piece prior to cementing the fuselage halves.

One little trick I've learned... I put a small piece of plastic wrap on the wheel (I do it any time a wheel is trapped by the strut). Pull it tight, and poke a couple of holes where the axle goes. It rips off very easily afterward.

DSCN2940-1.jpg

I find myself using my Molotow pen less and less. I purchased a refill bottle and make a small puddle. Junk mail actually has a use!

DSCN2941-1.jpg

I get better (and easier) coverage using a brush.

DSCN2942-1.jpg

A side note: I was reading Peter's laments on the SH Whirlwind instructions. I brought this kit to my monthly club meeting for Show and Tell. What people were most impressed with was the instruction booklet!

• Like 10

Nice trick on masking the tailwheel. I'll have to remember that one. 

For the tailwheel, it will go in place after the fuselage is together. I've tried it a couple time to confirm that. Just leave out the fairing and and it'll go in fine. 

• Like 3

Bill, thanks for the tip on using the clear plastic wrap - going to give it a try on the Whirlwinds tailwheel.

I originally thought the same regarding the instructions - they look wonderful and complete. But once I was into the build, there are placement and clarity issues. Just curious if the comments were from guys who built the kit or just went through the box. I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion on the instructions, especially guys who are a more familiar with SH kits. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Bill, thanks for the tip on using the clear plastic wrap - going to give it a try on the Whirlwinds tailwheel.

I originally thought the same regarding the instructions - they look wonderful and complete. But once I was into the build, there are placement and clarity issues. Just curious if the comments were from guys who built the kit or just went through the box. I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion on the instructions, especially guys who are a more familiar with SH kits. 

Peter, I don't have the SH Whirlwind; the instructions I brought were from the ZM Bf109G15/U4. Most of the guy at the meeting had never heard of ZM, nor seen one of their kits. They were amazed by the ZM manual.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Peter, I don't have the SH Whirlwind; the instructions I brought were from the ZM Bf109G15/U4. Most of the guy at the meeting had never heard of ZM, nor seen one of their kits. They were amazed by the ZM manual.

Never heard of Z-m?!

Do they live in some 1/72 backwater? 😮

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

Never heard of Z-m?!

Do they live in some 1/72 backwater? 😮

I have to give them a pass - many build only armor, and there are a number of car guys too. I'm the only one who builds large scale.

• Like 3

One of these days, I'm going to tackle the IP. In the meantime, I've started on the wings.

DSCN2949-1.jpg

It's a pity it has to be covered.

Lower wing panels fitted; no shims involved. I had a little bleed-through of Tamiya Extra Thin, but it's nothing a light sanding won't take care of.

The outer rear corner of the radiator sits a little proud, leaving a noticeable gap when I test fitted the upper wing skin.

DSCN2951-1.jpg

Probably something I did.

Five minutes with a sanding stick, and all is well now.

DSCN2952-1.jpg

Time for a little RLM02 on visible surfaces, and it will be hidden for eternity.

• Like 8