The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Italeri 1/35 Vosper MTB

I've most likely bitten off more than I can accomplish but I told @Bomber_County Phil if he entered his PT Boat I'd join him with this kit. 

PXL_20230101_184705698.thumb.jpg.006c8dced3d983a903d32772d56c5573.jpg

I remember the Airfix kit as a kid so eventually I picked up a copy of the Italeri release. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough and most of the AM was already discontinued by that point. I do have the Griffon basic PE set for it and the Italeri crew set. 

Here's the instructions for the PE set. Most are double sided so I can only imagine what the advanced set must be like. 

PXL_20230101_185001117.thumb.jpg.df5ac5ee19467fb1cc816785b7f4777c.jpg

The one piece hull and deck. 

PXL_20230101_184901473.thumb.jpg.8466f386719b2410dfa878e540141f95.jpg

The plan is to finish the Millennium Falcon and then start on this project. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• BlrwestSiR changed the title to Italeri 1/35 Vosper MTB

Well, I took a small break from the Falcon and decided to try assembling one of the PE cabinets that go in the cabin. 

A basic box, with some dividers in it. Then add some diagonal dividers. 30 of them...

PXL_20230102_215531001.thumb.jpg.e8394625f1b9386d0af4e602b668a8d8.jpg

Then add a frame to the face of the cabinet. 

PXL_20230102_222313104.thumb.jpg.3697b3f1625ebe72d49d573b6dad6c57.jpg

Finally add an upper cabinet to that.

PXL_20230102_222850729.thumb.jpg.aadae5d32365d8f129352bff0fb3e9f8.jpg

Now for doors....

...this build will definitely not be shake and bake.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

WOW, the PE AM looks fantastic and a huge improvement over the kit part. Some mighty fine PE work.

Thanks Peter. It's my first time using Griffon PE. So far, it's been nicely done. The sheets are various thicknesses of brass which adds to the detail. I don't see too much of their stuff around.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Carl, that’s amazing, dare I ask can you see all of this when the hatches are open? I want a Vosper now……

Phil, the cabinets goes at the back of the main cabin so are in full view. There's lots of  internal cabin detail but I wanted to get a grasp of how the PE would go together before committing to the more challenging bits. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

You are a brave man Carl. Your PE work looks great and I have a blueprint for what's awaiting me, if I start mine and the 'if' hasn't become smaller :D.

Cheers Rob

I still can't believe I'm trying this build myself. So far, my plan is to build the PE replacements and if they come off okay, then I'll remove/replace the kit plastic part. That way I have an option to backtrack if needed. 

• Like 6

On 1/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Well, I took a small break from the Falcon and decided to try assembling one of the PE cabinets that go in the cabin. 

A basic box, with some dividers in it. Then add some diagonal dividers. 30 of them...

PXL_20230102_215531001.thumb.jpg.e8394625f1b9386d0af4e602b668a8d8.jpg

Then add a frame to the face of the cabinet. 

PXL_20230102_222313104.thumb.jpg.3697b3f1625ebe72d49d573b6dad6c57.jpg

Finally add an upper cabinet to that.

PXL_20230102_222850729.thumb.jpg.aadae5d32365d8f129352bff0fb3e9f8.jpg

Now for doors....

...this build will definitely not be shake and bake.

Oh.. HELL ...NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  Wow, Carl, your PE work is just amazing.  I would not even attempt such fine work.  :unworthy:  Wow.  What do you use for your bends?  And how do you get that tiny dab of CA to keep it all together?  I'm in awe...

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! This is definitely a challenge. I've been reading the instructions (sacrilege, I know:lol:) and there's more insanity to come. Like adding 156 bolts to the torpedo tubes. 

Anyways the flying bridge is done. 

PXL_20230104_031250008.thumb.jpg.41c0b1a819de8ff5c58ea3cc2aa5511f.jpg

That's about it for tonight. 

@CANicoll Chris, I'm using a CA applicator called the Glue Looper. It's a thin stainless hook that you dip in a puddle of CA and touch to the seam. It really helps keep the mess down. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My Great Uncle served on these and for a year or two he came to live with my Nan and I when I would have been about 10 or so (we're talking ~1982). I remember he had *lots* of war stories which I would listen to with eyes wide, mouth open amazement; he also had a large box of medals, but sadly like so much I didn't record our conversations (never thought to) and now it has disappeared in the mists of time. My Mother bought me this kit on release (the first one I had asked for as an adult) and to my shame it still resides in my stash - my guilt accentuated because she died a few years ago before I got round to building it...Anyway, enough of my reminiscing... I'll be following this closely! 

Which boat will you be doing? I have a few references and researched them quite a bit some years back but I confess I've forgotten it all now and would be starting from scratch. Despite that, seeing this build has prompted me to resolve this will be one of my next builds.

Wishing you smooth progress with the kit and a Happy New Year.

Nick

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks guys! This is definitely a challenge. I've been reading the instructions (sacrilege, I know:lol:) and there's more insanity to come. Like adding 156 bolts to the torpedo tubes. 

Anyways the flying bridge is done. 

PXL_20230104_031250008.thumb.jpg.41c0b1a819de8ff5c58ea3cc2aa5511f.jpg

That's about it for tonight. 

@CANicoll Chris, I'm using a CA applicator called the Glue Looper. It's a thin stainless hook that you dip in a puddle of CA and touch to the seam. It really helps keep the mess down. 

Actually, I have those, and have one in a handle right now!  That's right, then you can burn off the excess CA.  I...Must...use...tools...I...already...have....  LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Carl

Unreal .. fantastic work and your PE skills are topflight. Nice plan and it's like having money in the bank just in case but seeing how you are sailing through the PE, you will be removing the kit parts.

Thoroughly enjoying your progress and following all the way.

I'm just still in the cleanup stages with the Kingfisher as I'm only less then a few work sessions away from finishing he P-40 and then it's an all out assault on my GB entry. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, nmayhew said:

My Great Uncle served on these and for a year or two he came to live with my Nan and I when I would have been about 10 or so (we're talking ~1982). I remember he had *lots* of war stories which I would listen to with eyes wide, mouth open amazement; he also had a large box of medals, but sadly like so much I didn't record our conversations (never thought to) and now it has disappeared in the mists of time. My Mother bought me this kit on release (the first one I had asked for as an adult) and to my shame it still resides in my stash - my guilt accentuated because she died a few years ago before I got round to building it...Anyway, enough of my reminiscing... I'll be following this closely! 

Which boat will you be doing? I have a few references and researched them quite a bit some years back but I confess I've forgotten it all now and would be starting from scratch. Despite that, seeing this build has prompted me to resolve this will be one of my next builds.

Wishing you smooth progress with the kit and a Happy New Year.

Nick

Thanks for sharing that Nick. It seems there's a few of these lurking in people's stashes.  

At the moment, I'll probably built 77 as I don't have much (any, in fact) reference material to pick another option. Some of the other camo schemes do look much better though. 

• Like 5