The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/48 Tamiya Finnish Bf109G-6 . Russians hunting for downed pilot , 1943/4 - Completed !

PanzerWomble

Diverting slightly to the left ....

Bought one of these ...soooooo cute . Odd how I like 1/48 aircraft but not armour. 🥺

08-B4-E51-A-4174-49-E6-9628-0-D7-EF5-FBB

Zats all zere is volks 

405-C6-F85-28-E6-444-F-8438-7-B724972-A9

teetny weeny 

0406-B2-E8-3-F4-B-4-CB2-91-E6-ADF9-E5675

82235-E1-C-A790-43-F2-BD19-C47-B002943-F

Not much paint used 

2238-AC87-9-F5-E-4-C44-A5-D2-DB85-AE82-A

Looking for Maarti

IMG-0813.jpg

Getting closer , need to complete the land side next . "5 minutes head start"

IMG-0815.jpg

• Like 7

On another note, Suomi produces some cracking films about their wars with the Russians . Given they were largely a citizen militia fighting on their home turf, the flavour of their films is unique, far less gung ho or "sir yes sir". The also have a lot of vintage armour to use in filming .  

Fun Fact - Finland was the only mainland European nation not to be occupied by an enemy in WW2

1984 Talvisota IMDB here

1999 Ambush 1941 IMDB here

and the series I've been watching last week , The Unknown Soldier 2017. IMDB here

• Like 3

Ye gods ....finally got this over the line . Learnings are .......plan the base better and use resin with caution . TBH if I hadn't posted it on here it probs would have been lawn darted . 

Anyhoo - it's finished - @Martinnfb can I please enter this as part of the group build as Maarti's 109 is certainly wet ?😇

"Five Minutes behind".....Russians hunting downed Finn pilot , Karelia 'winter 43-44 .

1-35-Centurion-Mk110017.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110019.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110015.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110013.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110011.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110010.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110004.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110003.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110006.jpg

• Like 10

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/48 Tamiya Finnish Bf109G-6 . Russians hunting for downed pilot , 1943/4 - Completed !

Wow, really well done!!  If you were going to turn that into a lawn dart, I'd hate to think of what you would do with my models!  That's a really fantastic diorama!

If you don't mind, can I ask what blue you used for the insignia?  I have to paint similar Finnish swastikas on an upcoming Finnish Buffalo build, and was trying to find a paint that matched that blue.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow, really well done!!  If you were going to turn that into a lawn dart, I'd hate to think of what you would do with my models!  That's a really fantastic diorama!

If you don't mind, can I ask what blue you used for the insignia?  I have to paint similar Finnish swastikas on an upcoming Finnish Buffalo build, and was trying to find a paint that matched that blue.

Cheers - and says the conscientious man filling injection marks inside a Walrus 😀 ??? that's way beyond my patience !

for the blue I mixed Tammy XF2 and XF8 in a cup till it matched references in one of my books . Couldn't decide about the surround , I went with white circles , but some pics they also appeared more pale cream . I'm no expert so reckoned both worked and went with white. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 3:51 PM, PanzerWomble said:

Fun Fact - Finland was the only mainland European nation not to be occupied by an enemy in WW2

Hmmmm… I thought Finland were forced to cede a part of Karelia to Russia in 1940, and this annexation still stands today ? I’d have said this stands as a long-lasting occupation, doesn’t it ?

I don’t know whether the transparent resin melted some of the kit, but the result looks very convincing 👍!

Hubert

• Like 3

This looks fantastic. I like the scenery and the overall idea. Pretty cool execution as well..

As of the Wet GB, Ernie is in charge of it, he is ok with belated entry and  I think that this is perfect contender for it and fits to the timeframe too. Thumbs up :)

M.

• Like 3

Great display, love the water effects and general setting, as well as the low budget, but effective trees. I wonder how the heat build up happened with the clear resin. I only worked once with the stuff, a 2K resin, which worked fine and the manual said, never to build up layers of more than a centimeter, but yours is shallow, strange.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/21/2023 at 6:52 PM, PanzerWomble said:

Ye gods ....finally got this over the line . Learnings are .......plan the base better and use resin with caution . TBH if I hadn't posted it on here it probs would have been lawn darted . 

Anyhoo - it's finished - @Martinnfb can I please enter this as part of the group build as Maarti's 109 is certainly wet ?😇

"Five Minutes behind".....Russians hunting downed Finn pilot , Karelia 'winter 43-44 .

1-35-Centurion-Mk110017.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110019.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110015.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110013.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110011.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110010.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110004.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110003.jpg

1-35-Centurion-Mk110006.jpg

Stunning build 👍. And it warms my heart to see others have interest in Finlands history🥰.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, HubertB said:

Hmmmm… I thought Finland were forced to cede a part of Karelia to Russia in 1940, and this annexation still stands today ? I’d have said this stands as a long-lasting occupation, doesn’t it ?

I don’t know whether the transparent resin melted some of the kit, but the result looks very convincing 👍!

Hubert

Yes. You are correct. Finland holds a grudge against Russia in this matter. Some day we will take Karelia back...some day...😠

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.