The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/16 scale Tiger VI Ausf E early build

Hey all 

Ok, it's glued together turret and hull. I gave it a coat of Tamiya lacquer clear so it's ready for chipping and weathering.

20230823_160346.jpgThis view shows the ammo storage bins and gertzaks added.

20230823_160248.jpgThis view shows the front area.

20230823_160228.jpgAnother view of the ammo bins.

20230823_160730.jpgThis view shows the front radio operators position and all the gertzacks and ammo boxes added.

20230823_160423.jpgThis view shows the instrument panel and the gauge decals in place.

20230823_160647.jpgThis view shows the radios and some of the wiring.

20230823_160943.jpgThis view of the turret shows all of the details added.

20230823_161117.jpgAnother view of the Turret, but with the gun breach in place.

20230823_161416.jpgThis view is the turret sitting in place in the hull without the top deck.

20230823_161241.jpgAnd this view shows all that you will be able to see after everything is assembled...:omg: Interiors do seem to be a waste of time. I'm the only one who will know what is in there...lol

20230823_161741.jpgAnd what it will look like when done less paint. Well that's it for now be back with more updates soon.

Ron G 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Irishman1 said:

You have to make the top removable!!! The fabrication and detail work is museum quality!!! Skill and artistry at work here.

Thanks Irish

Ok, but that means more scratch building to add all the detail to the roof interior...lol. I may do that, still debating, everybody let me know what I should do.

Yes, add the roof detail and make it removable.

No, just finish it and concentrate on the exterior.

Ron G 

• Like 2

Being usually in the « yeah, but I know it’s there » camp, I think in this case it would still be better to find a way to display the innards of this beast : it’s too good to be hidden …

Of course, as we say in French, « les conseilleurs ne sont pas les payeurs » ;)

Hubert

• Like 1

Thanks Martin 

1/16 is a great scale to use your scratch building skills. The only T-72 that I know of is the Trumpeter one. It can be pricey, in the $250 to $300 range. The Takom kits are a good buy in the $129 to $150 range. The classy hobby kits are nice also, about the same price range. If it has to be Russian, I'm afraid that Trumpeter is your only bet.

Ron G 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Thanks Martin 

1/16 is a great scale to use your scratch building skills. The only T-72 that I know of is the Trumpeter one. It can be pricey, in the $250 to $300 range. The Takom kits are a good buy in the $129 to $150 range. The classy hobby kits are nice also, about the same price range. If it has to be Russian, I'm afraid that Trumpeter is your only bet.

Ron G 

I have to agree about the Takom ( including Andy's). The Trumpeter T72

tracks were a nightmare... Involving filing and sanding to get each link to fit.

Mine, currently is on hold...just gave up, but I will eventually finish it as there

Isn't much left to do.....There isn't much detail to that kit...no interior and missing details ....headlights an example. Your money, is better spent on the Takom big scale kits....or on Trumpeter's T34s. Their SU 100 is excellent. Will be building that one soon.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Hubert 

Translation please, I  don't speak French.:hsmack:😁

Ron G 

Literally « the advisers are not those who pay », or in other words, words are easy and free, doing is the hard work ;)

Hubert

• Like 2

Hey all 

I think I have all of the interior details finally done. I just need to paint them and install them.

20230826_140504.jpgThis view shows all four of the lower ammunition bins that go in the floor on either side of the turret.

20230826_140325.jpgThis picture is of the two on the drivers side.

20230826_140405.jpg

This picture is of the two on the radio operators side.

20230826_140906.jpgThis view shows the two bins on drivers side in place in the hull.

20230826_141126.jpgThis view shows the two bins on the radio operators side in place in the hull. A little paint and the interior is complete...Ta Da! Except for some weathering. I'm waiting on some Ammo by Mig washes.

Ron G 

• Like 4

Hey all 

Small update, I got the ammo bins painted.

20230830_110744.jpg

I have them installed, but didn't get any pictures.

I FINALLY! got the tracks done, both sides. I don't want to go through that again! I also have all of the wheels done, all 48 of em. Now I just need to paint them and weather them. It's getting closer to the end, I think...lol

Ron G 

• Like 4

I feel your pain on the tracks. At least they're a decent size.

The craziest ones I've done were Model Kasten T-48 tracks for a Sherman. 2 pins, 2 track pad halves, 2 end connectors, 1 duck bill and 2 rivets per track link. All needing removal and cleanup before assembly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I feel your pain on the tracks. At least they're a decent size.

The craziest ones I've done were Model Kasten T-48 tracks for a Sherman. 2 pins, 2 track pad halves, 2 end connectors, 1 duck bill and 2 rivets per track link. All needing removal and cleanup before assembly. 

OUCH!

• Like 2

Hey all 

Small update for the Tiger.

20230831_173553.jpgThese are finally done! And they were a pain in the neather regions.

20230831_173636.jpgThis view shows the difficultie track guide horns.

20230831_173920.jpgThis view shows the other side of the spare tracks, the ones that go on the front of the tank.

20230831_173102.jpgThis view shows the rear of the tank. I'm finally to the point of gluing on kit parts, imagine that...lol. the exhaust shields are only on temporarily, they will come off when I start painting and weathering.

20230831_173032.jpgThis view shows the AFV MODELLER exhaust caps. These are the open running ones. There is still a lot of work to be done, some more painting, weathering, chipping, etc., etc.

Ron G 

• Like 6