Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Barracuda Decals and Resin

• Administrators

Guys, I don’t normally sing the praises of a Company on the open forum, but I have used Barracuda Products on almost every one of my builds now, for a long, long time. Their stuff is often a direct drop in, and if you want to build a 1/48 KittyHawk MiG-25, they offer a line of parts that fixes all the issues on the kit  

Their decals, and especially their line of 1/32 resin for popular subjects in 1/48, 1/32, and 1/24 is truly spectacular.  
They JUST released some truly EXQUISITE Spitfire control columns, and they are truly a sight to behold. 

C0650D05-5DA1-49E1-BA99-D8B690FA23EF.png

CB308666-40D6-40FB-94C2-DDFBCA8C755C.png

36860961-AFC5-4E97-A0C1-5417015A6B7A.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Yes, there are some things done in 3D I believe.  The one thing that he has are the good old parts we always seem to need: stuff for the top 10 1/32 scale WW2 fighters we never seem to tire of. 109, 190, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-51, P-47, P-40, P-38, Zero, Ju-88, etc…

Other than the two huge Czech companies: CMK and Eduard, we basically have Barracuda, Eagle, Resin2Detail, and ResKit for good, reliable 1/32 output. Yeah we have others, but they’re mostly mom and pop Eastern European companies that you need to read the Czech Model Forum to find out about. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've been a happy customer of Roy's since his days with Cooper Details. Most of his products are straightforward to use and really add a nice bit of detail. 

I just got an email from him saying he's having a sale at the moment. I'll have to see what other new products he has 

Carl

• Like 5

• Administrators

I want to now take this opportunity to welcome BarracudaCals onboard as our newest Sponsor, and they will be given a dedicated area in our Vendor’s area.  They, or we will, upon notification, post any new upcoming product releases here as well.

I think Roy’s Company will be a fine fit here ar LSM, especially with our broadening our scale range to include 1/48, and being friendly to all scales.

Feel free to welcome Roy when you interact with him next.

• Like 13

Just dropped a $60 order.  Someone posted on TOS that Roy’s business is slowing down and had to do a couple of layoffs.  Not good news.  Order up guys, we gotta support our cottage industry if we want them to be around tomorrow! 

• Like 4

It is slowing down for a reason. Time to step up the game. Market is ruthlessly saturated and frankly speaking, as of now  I have multiple copies of almost everything 1/32 and 1/24 WW2 from Barracuda. I wanna see some marketing activities, what to expect in the near future, what is in the works? priming the clientele, that is a huge part of it. 

Demand research, that's a second and equally important part of the story. FB, blogging , on-line presence etc. In another words, sell it to me.

Edit: And I just read what Ernie posted above LOL 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

Well, with Trumpeter dropping a brand new 1/32 kit on the market, (Devastator), the cynic in me is expecting the anticipated trainwreck, and Roy will have his hands full pumping stuff out for this kit. 
I can say already that the main wheels are, (only one guess allowed) yep, rubber, so there’s #1. Then apparently the bombs look closer to the Inspector Clouseau of La Sûreté Territoriale de Paris’s round gunpowder filled black mortar bombs with a sputtering fuze that he’d always dig up than standard US Navy GP aerial bombs,… soooooo…..

3C8E447D-7924-4493-B026-B5D52B36E309.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Just dropped a $60 order.  Someone posted on TOS that Roy’s business is slowing down and had to do a couple of layoffs.  Not good news.  Order up guys, we gotta support our cottage industry if we want them to be around tomorrow! 

I read that as well.  The industry is fickle. BUT, nobody makes the basic stuff we all need like Barracuda does.  
Plus, Corsair and Mustang placards.  Nobody else would have dreamed up those. And they sell them by the crate, I’m sure. 

• Like 4

I've found Roy's stuff to be nothing short of top notch. Those Corsair and Mustang cockpit decals really make the front office pop! It's a shame there aren't similar sets for the plethora of Spitfires out the there. Even some generic data placards would be most welcome.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed on Roy's stuff is great.  I met him ages ago and was impressed at his level of detailed knowledge and the quality of his work.  Glad to see he's still cranking things out and even happier he's joined the forum here.  I'll definitely be doing some ordering.

And I seem to remember ordering a resin nose from Roy for my Tempest.  A few weeks after receiving the part, another one showed up in the mail.  Apparently the first one (which I really had not bothered to look at very closely) had a defect.  Barracuda sent a new one, on their own.  That cemented my opinion of Roy and his company.

• Like 3

Roy's kit is a must for the Revell Bf109 G6 kit. I have a few bits to upgrade the kit and used them in my previous builds. I can only agree with others above that they are all top notch

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:06 PM, CANicoll said:

And I seem to remember ordering a resin nose from Roy for my Tempest.  A few weeks after receiving the part, another one showed up in the mail.  Apparently the first one (which I really had not bothered to look at very closely) had a defect. 

This is interesting and explains a lot. I must have one of the original defective ones. I was doing a test fit earlier today of the Barracuda nose to the kit fuselage and noticed that the top of it was much taller than the kit in that area. The rest fit perfectly so I couldn't understand  how it was that far off. When I checked the other nose set which I had ordered much later for a second kit, the fit on that one is perfect. 

Here's the first one I got. 

PXL_20230701_211309710.thumb.jpg.ec021c68c870559367565f6707483dd8.jpg

PXL_20230701_211301649.thumb.jpg.f532e44f59c71cf203b8a5788ae9bcdc.jpg

I'd just starting cutting the top cowl panel off planning to sub in the kit one when I saw your post. If that doesn't work I have a backup plan. 

That being the only hiccup I've experienced since I've got multiples of all his Spitfire stuff not to mention the Lancaster and Mosquito too. 

• Like 1

Carl,

I just pulled both the original resin part I ordered, and the update which was sent after.  Here are pictures of the two, side-by-side.

One side:

image.thumb.jpeg.cadbef939c5033d06e65ca43966a9d83.jpeg

And the other:

image.thumb.jpeg.f76d27f1e354bbb2f9ea473dcebb6ea0.jpeg

Everything seems to line up ok?

Top view (sorry it's not directly over the top)

image.thumb.jpeg.05c767ea0cadb5e7bf038cf2530f8aa7.jpeg

From the inside:

image.thumb.jpeg.59ecc11ef70a7bd51987e4b5ef179dc7.jpeg

And the inside

image.thumb.jpeg.e761c9bf6bc26298f2e9667f96565e30.jpeg

Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the original, and the 'updated' part.  The new one has the check mark inside it.  But to my eyes I cannot tell the difference between the two.  From the top two pictures, I don't see a height difference between the two.

This is not a lot of help, but interesting to hear your second nose fit perfectly.  I wonder if I will run into the same problem, but with both of mine having the lip?

Chris

• Thanks 1

I can see a slight difference in the transition from the engine cowling to the radiator fairing, but that is all that jumps to me ...(Which one is the release #1 and the the corrected one on the profile shots ?)

Hubert

You guys just got me in trouble.  All this Tempest talk got my “I Wants” all in a tither.  Scored a Special Hobby kit for $80 shipped off eBay last night.  Of course once the CC cools off a little (ordered some aftermarket for my 1/48 Space 1999 Eagle kit)  I’ll be ordering the Barracuda nose correction for it as well.  

I figured since I have the old Revell Typhoon kit I needed a Tempest to go with it.  Now I need to build these kits. 

• Like 2