The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

San Marcos

smitty44

• Administrators

Looks like LSM struck out this time around.  Personally, Smitty and I weren’t expecting anything, but Smitty’s brother had a couple really nice cars, and Recon had some stunners.

In IPMS, if you’re a trophy hound, build a small, simple model, and build it flawlessly. Big, short run, resin, or complicated models never seem to do well, because there are no points for merit, only for execution.

WW1 always gets cleaned up by Dr.1’s..

• Like 7

Ernie

Thanks for posting the photos - some mighty good-looking work.

IPMS contests as long as I can remember, have always been based on the quality of the build - least number of flaws and errors. Detailing and the type of kit only come into play after the initial cuts, based on the quality and execution of the build. There are no points for the difficulty of a build, type of kit (per category), corrections and detailing until later in the judging round where the models in that category are now equal to each other being close to flaw free. Now the judges take into account the difficulty of the kit, the difficulty of the extra work and type of kit and how well the extra work was accomplished. 

The old argument has always been, if a builder tackles a very difficult kit, adds loads of details and corrections, why aren't some building flaws accepted because of the work done. The answer has always been, the winners are the best/closest to flawless builds on the table and that is what the contest is all about and not difficulty. 

What seems like a million moons ago, I was a contest judge and contest chairman at every level: club, regional and national.  It's the only way to make the competition fair, which is based on quality of work and not difficulty. 

• Like 3

Question Peter.

When you talk about flaws, are you referring to a modelers skills like painting outside the lines, part glued on crooked or sand scratches in the surface? Or historical data incorrect or possible decal should have been .5mm further to the left in judges opinion? 
I’ve never been in a contest other than a local Hobby Town USA grand opening event that was not IMPS sponsored. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks for sharing the additional pics there Ernie. 

Peter, great insight into how judging works. Just wondering, can one display a model for the sake of displaying it and not have it part of the judging?

Yes you can, and it’s what I usually do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Thanks for posting the photos - some mighty good-looking work.

IPMS contests as long as I can remember, have always been based on the quality of the build - least number of flaws and errors. Detailing and the type of kit only come into play after the initial cuts, based on the quality and execution of the build. There are no points for the difficulty of a build, type of kit (per category), corrections and detailing until later in the judging round where the models in that category are now equal to each other being close to flaw free. Now the judges take into account the difficulty of the kit, the difficulty of the extra work and type of kit and how well the extra work was accomplished. 

The old argument has always been, if a builder tackles a very difficult kit, adds loads of details and corrections, why aren't some building flaws accepted because of the work done. The answer has always been, the winners are the best/closest to flawless builds on the table and that is what the contest is all about and not difficulty. 

What seems like a million moons ago, I was a contest judge and contest chairman at every level: club, regional and national.  It's the only way to make the competition fair, which is based on quality of work and not difficulty. 

To me, the most fun and rewarding contests for me have always been the peer judged shows. Yes, in some instances, an entire club can come out and sway the vote, but that also means they each entered a model. Eagle Quest also made it impossible for people to vote for their own kit because they put your entry number on the top of your ballot.  
Those shows were fun, fair, and rewarded skill and daring along with precision. 

• Like 5