Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Cobra Coupe - Le Mans - Model Factory Hiro 1/12

I love the creativity of this hobby.  I also have used various adhesive tapes and paper for various purposes to benefit from the textures.  But not to the extent or the successful result that you have, Rob.  Brilliant!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I love the creativity of this hobby.  I also have used various adhesive tapes and paper for various purposes to benefit from the textures.  But not to the extent or the successful result that you have, Rob.  Brilliant!

@ScottsGT Cool techniques Rob!  When I built my 1/72 Space Shuttle I used cloth medical tape cut into squares and applied to the exterior to simulate the thermal blankets the exterior was covered with.  I had to use very thick enamel paint forced into the weave to fill them up.  

Thank you Scott and Chris, there are indeed a lot of techniques, to come closer to realistic results in builds. Some of them I learned of here or in other places, others, I developed myself, like the cigarette paper technique.
Only recently, a fellow modeler over on MSW showed a technique for replicating 1/12 carbon fiber, using 
tulle fabric over a metallic grey base and then spraying black over it. After removing the tulle fabric and sealing everything it looked very good. I stored the idea for later use.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

My goodness, I really need to read this forum more frequently. Marvelous job of the build so far! I’ve never seen an MFH build thread and this one is certainly a treat 😁

Thank you Seiran, it´s my second MFH build in after my recently Crocker motorcycle build and these kits are somehow addictive. If you are willing to build high detail car or bike kits oob, this is the way to go. They definitely need another approach, as there is a lot of white metal and resin and other materials involved, but to me there is more fun into building these, as there is in most plastic kits.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

Somehow, I managed to get rid of this post in its original place. Luckily, I could copy it from MSW, so it´s only slightly out of order.

I worked on the interior of the Cobra Coupe, lately, installing and decaling the switchboard first, then matte clear sprayed over the decals. Last were the switches, which are glued from the backside.
Next was the shifting lever, which was not easy to install cleanly, with the tiny rivets to add.
Last for these steps was the fire extinguisher, which is fantastically detailed. The chrome band is made from chrome adhesive tape, instead of the kit´s springy PE part.
Then the tub was installed onto the chassis, followed by the seats and seatbelts. I love MFH seatbelts, as they provide double sided adhesive tape for mounting and installing them. No risk of CA blotches, smart.

P1011810.thumb.JPG.5bca253bca18d788837e8aeef1752e21.JPG

P1011812.thumb.JPG.c14b4c38df474d06394f8d979c690819.JPG

P1011813.thumb.JPG.839650a3b6bf22e1787074b0ce942a77.JPG

P1011814.thumb.JPG.b1bce08d3775f0d748723bdf1f72fed6.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Somehow, I managed to get rid of this post in its original place. Luckily, I could copy it from MSW, so it´s only slightly out of order.

I worked on the interior of the Cobra Coupe, lately, installing and decaling the switchboard first, then matte clear sprayed over the decals. Last were the switches, which are glued from the backside.
Next was the shifting lever, which was not easy to install cleanly, with the tiny rivets to add.
Last for these steps was the fire extinguisher, which is fantastically detailed. The chrome band is made from chrome adhesive tape, instead of the kit´s springy PE part.
Then the tub was installed onto the chassis, followed by the seats and seatbelts. I love MFH seatbelts, as they provide double sided adhesive tape for mounting and installing them. No risk of CA blotches, smart.

P1011810.thumb.JPG.054ad7ee14120dcda893a959a2eff919.JPG

P1011812.thumb.JPG.5b392a88b97bdc873c351e23a57650b6.JPG

P1011813.thumb.JPG.7f2a7f342c0243b75db9cee9a319e8cc.JPG

P1011814.thumb.JPG.611b53b3ce918b0f0a577a612efbc94d.JPG

Cheers Rob

Stunner!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rob, X 7.

Details are amazing and with your talented touch, they all look so real and so hard to tell if it is or isn't. And you're so right, the fire extinguisher is amazing - imagine, getting excited over a small detail part but it just captures the eye with its details.

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

@FullArmor, @Bomber_County, @HubertB, @CANicoll, @BlrwestSiR, @belugawhaleman, @Landlubber Mike, @Martinnfb, @Peterpools and @KevinM

Muchas gracias x10 hombres :D. There will be no more updates for some weeks, as I will be traveling a bit and when I´m back, I have to start playing in the sandbox with you guys.

Cheers Rob

Rob, Have a nice break and refill the stash.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, Have a nice break and refill the stash.

Thank you Phil, no plans to purchase kits though, but some AM for my sandbox project and others. Let´s see how long these intentions last, when I enter the LHS :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3