The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ju 88G-6, II./NJG 5, "C9+AC >>" (1/32 Revell A-1 w/AIMS)

• Members

Leikhardt Ju 88G-6.jpgJunkers-Ju-88G-Stab-II.NJG5-(C9+AC)-Hans-Leickhardt-1944-0B.jpg

OK, this is a good excuse to drag this one off the shelf of doom.  I did some preliminary work on the cockpit on this bad boy a couple of years back and then put it back in the box and it hasn't seen the light of day since.

I'll have some shots up by this weekend.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, I think Ralph is getting a little lonely and in the interest of not letting the new guy show us up figured I better post some progress! ;)

The cockpit is pretty much OOB.  I did add a CMK radio set since the radio arrangement on the G-6 was different than the A-1.  The seatbelts are Verlinden hardware with lead foil.  The other parts and some of the decals were included with the AIMS set and the rest were sourced from Airscale's "Luftwaffe Placards".

017_zps225cd8c3.jpg

016_zpsd01e3c9b.jpg

015_zpsdf68b8b6.jpg

020_zpsff9c6643.jpg

The PE instrument panel didn't have a whole lof of "pop" so I scratched one using plastic and Foto-Cut bezels with the AIMS decals.

025_zpsa297b1a7.jpg

I didn't feel like doing a complete rivet job so I used the rivetting attachment on my "Mr Brain" soldering iron and gave it some rivet detail along the panel lines.  This attachment gives a divot while raising the area around it, nice effect but difficult to get consistent results because you're using heat to do it.

026_zps8629ff66.jpg

028_zps9ac0d57e.jpg

The AIMS set provides a vac-u-form belly pan but I really didn't like that so I converted the kit belly pan to G-6 specs.  I'll cut the gun pod off the vac part and affix it later.

029_zpsda29eefc.jpg

• Like 4

Yay Mikester!!!! Finally someone to keep me company, lol!!! Love seeing your work because I've had nothing to compare my work too.

Love the rivet work and the idea of the soldering iron. I can see that you would have to be very careful and of a steady hand to produce consistent rivet sizes without burning clear through the fuselage, lol!!

Will be interested to see how your nose installation goes. I posted several pictures of my tub install today.

Great job!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Guess what I pulled off the shelf of doom today!  All the old WIP pics were wiped out courtesy of PB a couple of years back but I took these last year.  I spent a good part of the day getting the resin engine nacelles off the pour stubs and cleaned up as well as some touch up work on the wings.  Still lots of little areas that need some massaging but once I get the nacelles mounted on the wings that will be a huge step forward.  Will post some more pics tomorrow.

DSC01933.JPGDSC01937.JPGDSC01935.JPG

• Like 5

• Members
8 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Good to see this one back up on the blocks Buddy.

S

Yeah I've pulled it out a few times over the last couple of months and I was waiting for some filler to dry on the 190 so I figured what the heck.  The P-40 is almost done and that dates back to about the same time I started this one, really want to get the shelf queens off the shelf!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been making sporadic headway on this.  Truthfully it's just so big and with all the work that goes into into integrating the resin pieces into the kit I have a tendency to just lose interest and move on to something else.  But, what I have done...there's a bank of instrument dials on the starboard side of the cockpit that I was never happy with so I redid these with some MDC decals and PE bezels, looks much better.  Just about ready for the forward canopy section to be installed.  I won't be using the vacuform canopy supplied in the conversion kit.  I'm just going to go with the kit canopy with some Kristal Klear over the MG porthole.  Not 100% accurate but I think it will look much better.

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

The wings and nacelles are the biggest challenge of the conversion.  The resin nacelles are big and heavy and I want to make sure they stay put once secured.  I'm considering drilling holes in the nacelle and the mount and inserting brass rod to help support the weight, probably need to do some more thinning with the Dremel too to remove some of the excess and lighten them up.  Still a lot of sanding and smoothing to go.  Once I get over the wings I anticipate things moving along much faster.

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

• Like 3

Me like :D, nice work with the cockpit, it looks very lifelike. When heavy resin parts are involved, I tend to add more stability to the structure by using brass rods. with the help of the rods, alignment and sanding is a lot easier too.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• Members
16 hours ago, GusMac said:

Are you substituting brass landing gear? All that resin might make the kit plastic ones groan a bit!

Most definitely!  I've got a set of G-Factor gear, this one will have a about 3 pounds of resin tacked on by the time I'm done.

• Like 2

hi Mike, I wasn't real happy with the canopy in my set either as i found the frame definition to be a little poor in some areas. Actually it kind of put me off the conversion to be honest. I'll be very interested to see what you do with the kit canopy.  I wish you all the best for your build,

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 2