Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

It was a busy day for the postman.

DSCN3081-1.jpg

I got the Nick in a trade with a local club member. It cost me a WNW Albatros.

I looked for a Quinta Studios set for the Ki-45. but none exists. The Yahu panel is for the Z-M Ho229.

Slowly but surely, I'm switching from Model Master enamel to Mr. Color lacquer. I want something with a wide range of colors that I can spray and brush.

DSCN3083-1.jpg

I hope the metallic paints compare favorably to the Model Master Metallizers that I've been using forever.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Coming from Amazon today,......an ancient kit from Tamiya.

Tamiya's Ford GPA Amphibian 1/4  Ton 4x4 truck (35336) has been around since

about 1974, however, more recent boxings of this kit have included new details.

These include; some new photo-etch parts, a new set of figures, some engine details

that are new, and some placard decals. A quick look at the kit shows some simplified

chassis (tub) detail especially the molded-in leaf springs. Otherwise, the kit seems OK, at

least, it could make a decent little replica of the vehicle. As far as I know, this is the only

kit of this subject in 1/35.

DSCN1039_kindlephoto-82090751.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to find reference material for my Vosper build but most seem to be OOP or just plain hard to find. Somehow this book popped up and for 1/4 if the price it was at on my Amazon wish list. 

PXL_20230207_215354843_MP.thumb.jpg.841656b0f7e79eb2025305fbe4650c21.jpg

Now I've got some options for the camo rather than just a plain grey. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've been trying to find reference material for my Vosper build but most seem to be OOP or just plain hard to find. Somehow this book popped up and for 1/4 if the price it was at on my Amazon wish list.

I know your pain Carl. I’m going with the little I can find as I’ll never finish…….have you tried Pinterest…..

E1C1D8E4-5AFA-4FA3-915A-B8759943E876.thumb.jpeg.edf3e38315cf8bfc51c5fd78ca5578b7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:18 PM, ScottsGT said:

1CD97185-D0FE-4E6A-A116-6CCE4D88DF14.thumb.jpeg.839c380f130d896a2f70a851afd240a2.jpeg

Are we going to do a group build of the Tamiya Mk VIII that so many of us purchased? :grouphug:

Here is one of my other projects - the 6" hairpin legs showed up today for the upper shelf.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b8c2858b15c48f8a0ebc0e4b568ff62.jpeg

Different workbench time!

• Like 11

This afternoon came a package from Sprue Brothers.

This time, from Takom, came their ; WW I Heavy Battle Tank Mk.I Male (No.2031).

This one can be built with or without the extended steering arm depending on which

decal/marking option chosen. The kit also includes the option of installing the sponson

lifting crane or not. The box illustration shows this installed. A disappointing issue with

the Takom Mk I kits (there's also a Female) is that there's an issue with accuracy of

the forward driver's cabin....It's too narrow according to reviews, being more like later marks of these tanks. This issue is said to be less noticeable when the tracks are installed. Oh well, Hell..can't be perfect I guess! Anyway, I had planned to buy

The Female version......it has the grenade screen... but probably won't now. Anyway, it

still looks like a pretty good kit...having some nice camouflage options. The early paint

schemes resemble the French style with the different colors outlined in black. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/takom-2031-mki-male--961925

DSCN1041_kindlephoto-2773708.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

This afternoon came a package from Sprue Brothers.

This one can be built with or without the extended steering arm depending on which

decal/marking option chosen. The kit also includes the option of installing the sponson

lifting crane or not. The box illustration shows this installed. A disappointing issue with

the Takom Mk I kits (there's also a Female) is that there's an issue with accuracy of

the forward driver's cabin....It's too narrow according to reviews, being more like later marks of these tanks. This issue is said to be less noticeable when the tracks are installed. Oh well, Hell..can't be perfect I guess! Anyway, I had planned to buy

The Female version......it has the grenade screen... but probably won't now. Anyway, it

still looks like a pretty good kit...having some nice camouflage options. The early paint

schemes resemble the French style with the different colors outlined in black. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/takom-2031-mki-male--961925

DSCN1041_kindlephoto-2773708.jpg

Ok I've genuine kit envy there .....I love Takom's desings even if they are never quick builds .

• Like 4

On 2/10/2023 at 10:14 PM, CANicoll said:

Does it leave a mark behind?  A residue on the paint?

That's my primary concern with using the stuff. I've put a blob on a clean white paper towel; I'll leave it sit for a day or two and report the results!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Nice Paul, I love these quirky almost steam punk designs. I have a Takom MK. IV kit and helped me to an extra set of tracks, which are one piece links and click together. Takom claims, they are for MK II - MK V and Whippet and Tadpole. I've no idea, if the MK I had different tracks, but I liked to make life a bit easier on these boring redundant jobs.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5