Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

13 hours ago, CANicoll said:

This is the LED magnifying light I use: it has buttons to change the color profile of the light, but most of the time I just go for full illumination on both the red and blue buttons.  It actually has two rows of LEDs, Red and Blue (ish, not really red or blue, more warm and cool) and five degrees of adjustment for each one.

The light is good, the adjustment of the head is so so.  But it is LED and it is very bright.  But I would love to also have a wider LED light for the overall workbench.

Thanks Chris

I'm looking into it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mark31 said:

This is what i think off my new work light.

you have 2 power settings bright and low

for me personal the bright is to hard for me so i go for the low setting and still light enough for me.

Its worth the money.

And yes im in europe so maybe this one is not availible for you

Mark

Thanks Mark for your thoughts on the LED lamp. of course, what I thought would be an easy replacement, now the options are starting to be overwhelming.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Very, very jealous. Nobody around here has them much less second for cheaper. 

47 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Mark

That some 'steal' for sure and I'm right with Carl.

Yes the go between 670 an 750 euro over here

Found it for 430 shipping included

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Got a some items in the mail today:

First, from Sprue Brothers came a kit that I've been looking at for a while;

from Takom it's their Skoda 42 cm M. 1917 Heavy Siege Howitzer in 1/35.

An interesting subject, ......it comes with a figure of Erich Von Manstein....strange, that.

I also got another bottle of Tamiya's formidable airbrush cleaner. I buy this stuff whenever , wherever I can. Good stuff.

From  Scale Hobbyist came another kit from Takom; ...this time, their  WW 1 Heavy

Battle Tank Mk.IV Tadpole. This is an odd, extended version of the Mk.IV tank meant

to deal with wider German trenches. It had its problems and was never put into mass

production.

DSCN1069_kindlephoto-76988318.jpg

DSCN1071_kindlephoto-77085339.jpg

DSCN1073_kindlephoto-77043996.jpg

nevington-mk-iv-tadpole5_1_kindlephoto-3653444.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Got a some items in the mail today:

First, from Sprue Brothers came a kit that I've been looking at for a while;

from Takom it's their Skoda 42 cm M. 1917 Heavy Siege Howitzer in 1/35.

An interesting subject, ......it comes with a figure of Erich Von Manstein....strange, that.

I also got another bottle of Tamiya's formidable airbrush cleaner. I buy this stuff whenever , wherever I can. Good stuff.

From  Scale Hobbyist came another kit from Takom; ...this time, their  WW 1 Heavy

Battle Tank Mk.IV Tadpole. This is an odd, extended version of the Mk.IV tank meant

to deal with wider German trenches. It had its problems and was never put into mass

production.

DSCN1069_kindlephoto-76988318.jpg

DSCN1071_kindlephoto-77085339.jpg

DSCN1073_kindlephoto-77043996.jpg

I just found out a few weeks back the airbrush cleaner is the same as their cement.  :o

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

More stuff today: From Burbank's House of Hobbies two essential

products; yet another bottle of Tamiya's Airbrush Cleaner, and from Mr Hobby some

of their Leveling Thinner 400. Good stuff at what I thought was a good price from

The House of Hobbies.

https://houseofhobbies.com/products/mr-hobby-mr-leveling-thinner-400ml

DSCN1074_kindlephoto-28620218.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Embracing the native cultures. 

99F4219D-8B7D-4C1F-B3B1-73FBB51DF4AC.jpeg

What do you think of the kit?  I don't want to get into helicopter models, but if I had to build one, it would definitely be the Apache.  Kinda like where I am with modern day aircraft - I don't want to get into them, but did get a Trumpeter A-10 kit.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Are you guys using the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner as actual cleaner, or are you using it as glue?  I just use IPA and lacquer thinner as cleaners - seems much more cost effective.  

I'm with you Mike, buying more chemicals not products. 

Some thoughts ...

I've just bought 10 years supply of Tamiya extra thin ...... 1 litre of MEK for about $14 .....$200 bucks saved 

Add MEK to Acetone ( 1 litre about $7) roughly 1:1 and you get Mr Colour Laquer Thinners $40 bucks saved 

Add Water to IPA ( 1 litre about $10) roughly 70/30 ....and you get Tamiya Acrylic thinners, which I also use for airbrush cleaner paint thinning , bench cleaner , Womble cleaner etc . $35 bucks saved 

Once a while I drop my metal airbrush bits in a pot with some cellulose paint thinners (Toluene) ....and the paint acrylic or enamel falls of with a lil shake . Toluene also cleans up Alcald paints. Melts plastic though 🤕

Chemistry 1 .....Marketing BS 0 

They all have to publish Data Sheets which advise the active ingredients 😃

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mike

For cleaning out my air brush after a session I use straight lacquer thinner from the hardware store. The only exception is when I shoot Model Air or Model Color, I use both their thinner and air brush cleaner as everything turns to goo in the AB. 

For thinning my paints, I use mostly Mr Color Self Leveling Thinner or the paint manufactures thinner when shooting acrylics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Agree with you PW - seems more cost effective if you can get the same unbranded chemicals.

Peter, like you I use Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for thinning Mr. Color and Tamiya paints.  For Vallejo, I also use the Vallejo brand thinner for thinning in the airbrush - for airbrush cleaning, I have just been using water and a brush to physically remove any remnants.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Are you guys using the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner as actual cleaner, or are you using it as glue in place of Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement?  I just use IPA and lacquer thinner as cleaners - seems much more cost effective.  

As a cleaner for my paint brushes and airbrushes. I use it to flush out the airbrush quickly between color changes. I add some to the color cup with an eye dropper, use a large

soft bristle paint brush to give the cup a quick scrub, and then spray out the remaining

solvent. I also buy lacquer thinner, but i use that when i need to soak something. Also

I found that Simple Green works well on parts like airbrush bottles and parts for my

Paasche H when usingTamiya Acrylic paint. I don't use simple green on plated parts. I haven't used the Tamiya cleaner

as glue, somehow I don't think it would flow as well as the extra thin glue. Besides, I

Like to use the cleaner separate as the bottles often get contaminated

I also found that denatured alcohol works well for removing Tamiya Acrylic

paints. I always have a gallon of that around as I use it for steam engines.

I really use the Tamiya stuff when I need to clean items quickly, it removes

paint, all kinds, instantaneously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2