Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Ok, this is just wierd. I ordered the Val because of the sale. I thought I did. But this showed up thismornig. Not disappointed but now I can't get the Val....harv 

20230509_114305.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, harv said:

Ok, this is just wierd. I ordered the Val because of the sale. I thought I did. But this showed up thismornig. Not disappointed but now I can't get the Val....harv 

20230509_114305.jpg

I know that feeling

thinking you orderd that kit and when the box comes home another kit is there.

Then you check your order and see your mistake.

Mark

• Like 4

I find it rather annoying that some local suppliers refuse to import certain kits ... but at least I know where I'm at right from the start!! ... After months of mucking around with my usual supplier here (Will they? Won't they?), I decided to go international for these kits - Germany to be precise - which arrived at the local post office few days ago....

IMG_9263.thumb.jpeg.190e8aa637e2bc4c688fb41a8abb0db1.jpeg

... and even with shipping charges they were more than reasonable ... 1/16 scale of my favourite chassis and variant The Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.M. ... I might do a comparison with the Das Werk kit while I'm on my week off.

IMG_9264.thumb.jpeg.c9b2bab8448681bd13e0afac66bca4ad.jpeg

I'll probably score another Das Werk kit or two later on ... but these two provide me with the the capacity to build an Ausf.L and M.

I want to work out what I'll need to backdate on a J to create an Ausf.E or F early war Panzer.III also.

Rog :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

This was my introduction to the Skycrane:

201826-cn-tower-heli2.thumb.webp.165cbe058c27db05323cdba0b3c5f880.webp

201826-cn-tower-heli-wiley.thumb.webp.c4e449c0da9e56d00c0a5d03735f0d7f.webp

201826-cn-tower-heli.thumb.webp.ef6e88dd22f5237a1e362da8a2e1494b.webp

They used it to lift the last section of the CN Tower into place. It was the tallest structure in the world when they finished it. 

I wonder if someone will do a diorama of this. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/9/2023 at 5:45 PM, harv said:

that normally happens to me when red wine is involved !

• Haha 8

I had a couple orders show up recently.  

First up are some F-14 bits in different scales. Both are for Tamiya kits though. 

PXL_20230512_195151141.thumb.jpg.326fa1b592f4a01902adfc1a9e1865df.jpg

With the seats, I finally have everything for my Final Countdown Tomcat so I'll probably get back to that shortly. 

Next up is a decal sheet for the Tamiya F-35A kit. 

PXL_20230512_194606915.thumb.jpg.69eed1839db55e0686a860fc3534f57c.jpg

It also includes masks for the aggressor scheme which is what I'll be using. With some of the other choices included, I may just have to get another kit. 

I also got a new tool that's supposed to help with cutting fine curves in tape. We'll see how that works out. 

PXL_20230512_194616494.thumb.jpg.67442d5c7c5b881db0d30e4ed4c8705b.jpg

Lastly, I had a set of 3D printed resin rims and tires but no model for them so I had to solve that problem. 

PXL_20230512_194650820.thumb.jpg.3b165a84cfa9b59267fdb95ceee9eeb4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Some items this week.....

Along with more Tamiya paint, extra thin quick, and airbrush cleaner....

I got some more items;

Today I got another Tamiya kit..It's their Pz.Kpfw. Panther Ausf.D (Sd.Kfz.171)

#35345.

Also, from Syrenshipmodelcompany.com I got two sizes of scale rope in

1.37mm and 1.62mm thicknesses. This rope looks great....I've ordered some

2mm thickness as well...comes tomorrow.

Also, I got three sets of camouflage masks from J's Work; one each to do a

Hetzer, a St. Chamond, and a Char 1 bis.......never tried these before, and I've

been itching to do that Tamiya Hetzer from my stash for a while now.

Lastly, I got some miniature brass chain from A-Line #29216 40 links per inch.

This stuff is impressive! The links are soo tiny.....cool. I have a couple of kits

I plan to use this on.

DSCN1110_kindlephoto-53166960.jpg

DSCN1115_kindlephoto-53292084.jpg

DSCN1111_kindlephoto-53203937.jpg

DSCN1114_kindlephoto-53337233.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

Some items this week.....

Along with more Tamiya paint, extra thin quick, and airbrush cleaner....

I got some more items;

Today I got another Tamiya kit..It's their Pz.Kpfw. Panther Ausf.D (Sd.Kfz.171)

#35345.

DSCN1110_kindlephoto-53166960.jpg

If this is the newer tooled one (It looks to be), it's a great kit of a Kursk Panther ... none of the fit issues of some of the older tooled kits and plenty of accurate detail. I almost pulled the trigger on this one when gathering Kursk vehicles, but went with the Takom one, mainly because of the link and length tracks on sprue (I've never liked the Tamiya rubber band style ones) ... having said that I've seen some great builds of this OOB and they manage to get the tracks to look not half bad! ... Enjoy!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

If this is the newer tooled one (It looks to be), it's a great kit of a Kursk Panther ... none of the fit issues of some of the older tooled kits and plenty of accurate detail. I almost pulled the trigger on this one when gathering Kursk vehicles, but went with the Takom one, mainly because of the link and length tracks on sprue (I've never liked the Tamiya rubber band style ones) ... having said that I've seen some great builds of this OOB and they manage to get the tracks to look not half bad! ... Enjoy!

This one came out in 2015. Tamiya makes a set of click together, individual

link tracks for this kit...in fact, I've already ordered a set from Sprue brothers.

They also sell a metal barrel, and photo-etch set for this kit. The barrel is not

really needed as the kits barrel is in one piece with a separate muzzle brake.

It looks like a decent kit. The "rubber band" tracks actually look ok.....the side

skirts on the tank would hide the top of the track anyway, so you wouldn't see

the lack of "sag". I like the Newer Tamiya kits.....most have their link and length

these days.

https://spruebrothers.com/tam12665-1-35-tamiya-panther-ausf-d-separate-track-link-set-tam-kit/

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-12665-panther-d-track-set--944301

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, belugawhaleman said:

This one came out in 2015. Tamiya makes a set of click together, individual

link tracks for this kit...in fact, I've already ordered a set from Sprue brothers.

They also sell a metal barrel, and photo-etch set for this kit. The barrel is not

really needed as the kits barrel is in one piece with a separate muzzle brake.

It looks like a decent kit. The "rubber band" tracks actually look ok.....the side

skirts on the tank would hide the top of the track anyway, so you wouldn't see

the lack of "sag". I like the Newer Tamiya kits.....most have their link and length

these days.

Yeah ... so it's the newer tooled kit! :)

I bought the old tool kit about 10-15 years ago - not good! The Dragon kit was far superior even though they got the Magic Track wrong for one side initially.

I saw all the 'accessories' kits advertised at the time I went looking - with the indi-tracks it will turn out awesome!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I also got a new tool that's supposed to help with cutting fine curves in tape. We'll see how that works out. 

Nice loot Carl, I'd be interested, how the new cutting tool works, I tried different tools for cutting curves, but none have worked satisfactory. I own one with a rotating blade, which is angled, to drag it, but it only works fluidly with larger radii.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice loot Carl, I'd be interested, how the new cutting tool works, I tried different tools for cutting curves, but none have worked satisfactory. I own one with a rotating blade, which is angled, to drag it, but it only works fluidly with larger radii.

Cheers Rob

One I give it a try, I'll post the results and let everyone know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3