Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

The Jaguar XJR-8 arrived today. I had to wait a bit to find one of the kits with my suppliers. The kit itself is simple without engine and some flash, but nothing to worry about. This one will be about finish, either decal or masked and airbrushed with the fitting Zero Paints. I had to add the tobacco sponsor decals, as they are not included :raincloud:.

IMG_E1462.thumb.JPG.9d2140f916bc699efb681fb8997c1c73.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DocRob said:

The Jaguar XJR-8 arrived today. I had to wait a bit to find one of the kits with my suppliers. The kit itself is simple without engine and some flash, but nothing to worry about. This one will be about finish, either decal or masked and airbrushed with the fitting Zero Paints. I had to add the tobacco sponsor decals, as they are not included :raincloud:.

IMG_E1462.thumb.JPG.9d2140f916bc699efb681fb8997c1c73.JPG

Cheers Rob

Nice! ... What scale? ... I loved that era of Group C.

I'm waiting on a Meng 1/12 Mp4 McLaren (Prost / Senna) with the same decal issue ... I think my Beemax 1/12 Lotus 99T (when it arrives!?) is also missing it's traditional Camel cigarette logos ...

This obsession with trying to cover up or denounce history in any regard (same deal with swastikas on model aircraft, ships etc) is ridiculous ... 

I like to display my models in historically, period accurate (as far as possible) livery ... and the thought police trying to retcon history can go get knotted!

Rog :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The Jag is 1/24. Hasegawa did the XJR-8 and XJR-9 in both Group C and IMSA spec.  

MFH has them in 1/24 and 1/12 but they're a bit more expensive. Oh, they have the correct markings as well. 

As for the censorship, Europe in the late '80s, issued a ban on tobacco marketing on toys and sadly, models were considered such. The ban then got expanded to the actual race cars in the mid '90s. Eventually it made its way to Canada and we lost the Players CART team and other events. Some teams though got creative with them: Ferrari did the Marlboro logo in a barcode on one of their F1 cars while on the McLaren F1 GTR, the Davidoff logo was changed from "Have a Davidoff" to "Have a Day Off".

So it's not really a retcon.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Nice! ... What scale? ... I loved that era of Group C.

I'm waiting on a Meng 1/12 Mp4 McLaren (Prost / Senna) with the same decal issue ... I think my Beemax 1/12 Lotus 99T (when it arrives!?) is also missing it's traditional Camel cigarette logos ...

This obsession with trying to cover up or denounce history in any regard (same deal with swastikas on model aircraft, ships etc) is ridiculous ... 

I like to display my models in historically, period accurate (as far as possible) livery ... and the thought police trying to retcon history can go get knotted!

Like Carl said, it's 1/24 and seems to be a kit design first in 1987. I don't like the obsessive tobacco ad ban on kits in general, but with this kit it's especially bad. On close inspection the purple color of the tobacco ad decals don't match these of the kit decals. How everything fitted with the Zero Paints purple, I have not tested yet.
There is another 'non controversial' Castrol version made by Hasegawa of the XJR-9. They only pollute the environment with oil drilling and refining, never mind.

I have 1/20 McLaren MP's and a JPS Lotus 79 in stash, but with these, I have complete decal sheets and therefore no color issues.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
On 9/28/2023 at 7:25 PM, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

I just received HK models A– 20 Havoc Metal landing gear!!!

Art Scale Kits ASK  Guns for the above mentioned, Also, Nakajima Ki-84 Frank decals Part seven and eight.  Also razor, saw blade and Offset saw handle!!! 

IMG_9735.jpeg

IMG_9736.jpeg

IMG_9738.jpeg

where did you get the metal landing gar? Directly from Hk Models? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Had a paint resupply and added this to the order. Blown away by the chrome finish it gives, amazing…….

Does it really work Phil? I had the Molotow chrome pens and they worked only in recesses, like the headlights of my Ford GT II build. On landing gear oleos, they completely failed. If the AK pens are better, I would give them a try.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

Does it really work Phil? I had the Molotow chrome pens and they worked only in recesses, like the headlights of my Ford GT II build. On landing gear oleos, they completely failed. If the AK pens are better, I would give them a try.

Cheers Rob

Rob, I tried it on a very thin bomb bay door jack and it was perfect. Just three strokes it covered and look instantly mirrored……

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 10/3/2023 at 9:52 AM, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Rob

Unfortunately, I had the same results as you with the Molotow chrome pen on the oleos. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 8:52 AM, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Same with me.  Didn't like the results  on the landing gear ....harv 

• Like 3

On 9/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Peter,

If Andy comes out with a VVSS Sherman in 1/16, I'll most likely get one of those. He's almost there with his Easy 8 Sherman and the VVSS suspension in the Achilles/M10 kits coming out. He just need to combine the two. 

I'm in. Might be a year or so to build it !! ....harv 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Sticker actually. You cut it ti the width you need, slightly longer than the diameter and wrap it around. It's very thin and has a bit of stretch to it. 

I have used foil in the same way...harv 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Here you go, Mossie bomb bay jacks……..

Looking relatively good and maybe the only choice instead of spraying Alclad or Extreme Metals, because the rods are very thin for foiling.

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I use Hasegawa Mirror Finish. It's like Bare Metal but much tougher and high gloss

Just yesterday, a pack of this foil arrived here. I'm eager to see, how it works compared to BMF.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Looking relatively good and maybe the only choice instead of spraying Alclad or Extreme Metals, because the rods are very thin for foiling.

Just yesterday, a pack of this foil arrived here. I'm eager to see, how it works compared to BMF.

Cheers Rob

Same here Rob. I use BMF on my Tamiya P-38, looked good but for the work involved to get it to fit and look good, I am leaning back towards using my gold old Alclad Chrome over gloss black. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1