Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Good catch Ernie.

I had the Avia once in the past, then although it's a very good looking aircraft of my ear of predilection, I decided I would not build it and sold it off.

As for Fisher kits, they soon been rarer than hen's teeth, unfortu ately for Paul.

And finally, the Hornet needs correcting around the nose / vanopy rails area. Did Iain not have a WiP on LSP ?

Hubert

• Like 5

Ordered, and received very quickly, some additional HobbyZone modules.

Two brilliant additions to their range: the "electronic device holder", and the instruction sheet holder, that clips on top of the upper row modules.

I had to move my instruction sheet holder to the sidez, as they woudl have interfered with my bench lighting. And I glued an additional ridge at the extremity of the electronic device holder, so that I coudl use it to hold reference books.

(and now, I have a bench that can accomodate even Ernies's biggest kits, or a 1/200 battlewagon :D)

Hubert

i-6FDZWQB-600x450.jpg i-FMtsqRC-600x450.jpg

i-TdcnWsN-600x450.jpg

i-zV4W3xR-338x450.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Hubert, to tidy......

I do my best to untidy it, but frankly, I clean and order it after each working sequence (few and rather sparse, unfortunately). I have found this makes my modelling more enjoyable in the end, and it also protects whatever little work I achieve from a probing, nosy, curious cat ;) 

Hubert

• Like 5

Hubert, your new setup looks great. 

Ernie, nobody has ever conquered HpH Avia .....wait ...or was it Afghanistan ? :),  anyway good luck and let me know once you are ready to start, I will make sure, you are readier :).

This is what I just ordered....times two..... that way the first one won't be lonely

live-resin-35-lre-35172-uh60-mi-mi-17_1_

• Like 6

• Administrators

I’ve seen one or two ancient builds on the HPH Avia, and all seemed to fizzle and die. You gotta stick with resin, or don’t completely shelve it after you power out.

I’m a sucker for Czech and Polish designs, so it’s pretty much resin for me.

• Like 3

I am slowly working on my fear of resin kits, this week I finally got ahold of one of these...took me almost three years to find one. Every time I tried to buy one, I was told it just sold. This time I jumped on it right away.

FD5756BA-AEE1-448D-BDC7-42F215EEEC5E.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators

Martin, I have the P.11c. The cowl has been giving me fits. I need to build a jig. Those exhaust stubs into the collector ring are driving me insane. Typical British radial, exhausts to the wrong side of the engine....grrrrr

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I am slowly working on my fear of resin kits, this week I finally got ahold of one of these...took me almost three years to find one. Every time I tried to buy one, I was told it just sold. This time I jumped on it right away.

FD5756BA-AEE1-448D-BDC7-42F215EEEC5E.jpeg

Mark, that is a SWEET kit that falls together effortlessly, until you get to the flaps. They’ll drive you to drink copious amounts of the byproduct of corn squeezin’s.

Just be aware, the seat is way too wide, like almost like some areas of the cockpit were done in 1/28 scale.

• Like 4

On 4/13/2019 at 11:11 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Mark, that is a SWEET kit that falls together effortlessly, until you get to the flaps. They’ll drive you to drink copious amounts of the byproduct of corn squeezin’s.

Just be aware, the seat is way too wide, like almost like some areas of the cockpit were done in 1/28 scale.

Good to know. My flaps will be in the closed position!

• Like 5

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Good to know. My flaps will be in the closed position!

Yep, but you still need to build the basics. 

I’m thinking mine will be posed with the landing flaps down and the upper dive brakes closed. 

I’m just not going to totally hide that extraordinary level of detail. 

But like we said in the Army. “All plans are valid right up to the moment the first bullet flies”.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2019 at 10:04 PM, harv said:

Oh hell yeah ! I have about 5 resin kits in the stash. One of these days.....harv :popcorn:

Same here. Although I have 6 and have built one. 

Ernie, the Twogar is a great kit. Just be careful with the intake splitter plates that are part of the wing assembly. It's easy to break them off. Ask me how I know. 

Carl

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, harv said:

Witch kit did you do Carl ?.....harv

I did the Planet Models XF5U Flying Pancake. 

20171130_214851_HDR-L.jpg

It's too heavy for the MLG though and has collapsed twice now so I have it placed on a stand after the last repair. 

Carl

• Like 6

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I did the Planet Models XF5U Flying Pancake. 

20171130_214851_HDR-L.jpg

It's too heavy for the MLG though and has collapsed twice now so I have it placed on a stand after the last repair. 

Carl

Carl I have this kit. Was it a decent build, or a dog?

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Carl I have this kit. Was it a decent build, or a dog?

I'd say it was like a limited run IM kit. Fit wasn't bad,  it needed some tweaking here and there along the main seam. The trailing edges needs to be feathered too. The big hurdle is the somewhat unconventional approach needed to avoid some nasty work on the intakes. I glued the front section and the leading edge together first using epoxy. Then after the intakes were on and the seams cleaned up and painted (inside and out), I inserted the fan discs through the trailing edge which was unglued. The fuselage has enough give to open wide enough to get the fan discs in which is why I used epoxy so the front wouldn't split. To guide the fan discs in, I drilled a hole in the back of the fan deep enough to slip a rod into them. Then with glue on the edges you slip them in and into place. Once the glue dries, pull the rod off the back. I think it'll make more sense when you have the parts in front of you. 

I also used brass rods to pin the prop blades on. If you have a prop jig, do the front pair first and then you can raise the base to do the second pair of props.

20171117_212744-L.jpg

20171117_215035-L.jpg

Hope that helps. 

Carl

• Like 3

• Administrators

Thanks for the tips, Carl. It’s not my favorite aircraft in the world so I haven’t messed with it. But thanks for that. It looks like a simple build so I might give it a go if I’m bored with nothing to do.

Ernie

• Like 4