Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

instrument bezels for Beaufighter arrived , and I just noticed that they are in 1/48 scale. Still ok, useful  for something . Back to ordering 32nd scale this time.  Oh well more time for the dolphin nose with brand spanking new sanding blocks and few sheets of save 220 and 180 grit sand paper. :)

IMG_0560.thumb.jpg.a0d1ed02bc283ad54010bed041cdd1bf.jpg 

• Like 4

On 4/17/2019 at 11:00 AM, Martinnfb said:

instrument bezels for Beaufighter arrived , and I just noticed that they are in 1/48 scale. Still ok, useful  for something . Back to ordering 32nd scale this time.  Oh well more time for the dolphin nose with brand spanking new sanding blocks and few sheets of save 220 and 180 grit sand paper. :)

IMG_0560.thumb.jpg.a0d1ed02bc283ad54010bed041cdd1bf.jpg 

Dude,

What do you use that coarse stuff on?  The roughest I've used is 400, and then I regretted it because it scratched the plastic too much.  I use 800-1500 for normal modelling.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Not all of them are new to the stash but I finally collected them all together. Didn't realize I ha so many. 

IMG_20190415_214537-L.jpg

The force is strong with this one!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

What about the Bandai's new Death Star did kit?

1deathstar.jpg

I always wondered how the energy blasts from the x-wing, which normally shoot straight managed to make that sharp turn down the tubes....

• Like 3

On 4/18/2019 at 12:17 AM, Martinnfb said:

What about the Bandai's new Death Star did kit?

1deathstar.jpg

That's the plan. I've got two of the Tie fighter sets so i can have Vader and his two wingmen chasing Red 5 down the trench.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2019 at 2:01 AM, GazzaS said:

I always wondered how the energy blasts from the x-wing, which normally shoot straight managed to make that sharp turn down the tubes....

Plot device? They were torpedoes though so maybe they were designed to do that...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Plot device? They were torpedoes though so maybe they were designed to do that...

On 4/18/2019 at 4:08 PM, Martinnfb said:

drugs were cheap in seventies :)

Anyway...  Lucas lost me with Ewoks.  Vertically challenged peoples with stone-aged technology beating trained troops with armor and blasters?  A glider with a 6 foot wingspan that can drop a boulder... Come-on! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Anyway...  Lucas lost me with Ewoks.  Vertically challenged peoples with stone-aged technology beating trained troops with armor and blasters?  A glider with a 6 foot wingspan that can drop a boulder... Come-on! 

No less fanciful than the notion of having a spherical Space Station the size of a small Moon that is capable of both real and hyperspace travel about multiple axes, while having just a single 2 metre wide exhaust port situated on the equator.

• Like 4

Probably in fairness to George Lucas,

I remember the original intent of A New Hope, was to be more like the Flash Gordon / Lone Ranger 30 minute serial films of the 1930's and 40's. A nod to a different era; itself now also part of a different era, in this current age of Keyboard Warriors and empowered Geekdom. You weren't meant to question that the Kessel run and return would take 78 years to complete, and that everyone else Han and Chewie knew would have aged accordingly; or that the Death Star could have simply come out of Hyperspace at the exact position required to destroy the Rebel base, and there would have been no Battle of Yavin as such.

It would have made it far less entertaining for a 10 year old Yours Truly.

• Like 6

On 4/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, GazzaS said:

The Ewoks happened because Lucas suddenly had kids who were old enough to go see his movies and he wanted something cute in them. 

• Like 3

On 4/20/2019 at 12:41 PM, Wumm said:

No less fanciful than the notion of having a spherical Space Station the size of a small Moon that is capable of both real and hyperspace travel about multiple axes, while having just a single 2 metre wide exhaust port situated on the equator.

Heh...  remind me never to get into an accuracy debate with you!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The Ewoks happened because Lucas suddenly had kids who were old enough to go see his movies and he wanted something cute in them. 

R2D2 was cute.  Jawas acceptable.  I can even accept the prissiness of C3P0. OK...  I'm just gonna say it.  I'm an ex-Marine, Damnit!  With my M-16 in my hand I was the baddest motherfucker in the woods.  I would find it terribly insulting for my fire team to be unable to cover the forest floor with dead Ewoks.

You know...  When Cortez got to the new world, he conquered the Aztec Empire with 150 flintlocks and a few cannon.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 2:03 AM, GazzaS said:

In Avatar, you get the same plot, btw (only they are vertically challenged the other way round ;) )

Hubert

• Like 4

Just got a new piece of hi-tech gear :D, encouraged by what I saw from MIke (Swinburne) on Ernie's Lancaster thread.

The price on Amazon was too good to miss, for what is said to be the best at this price (below USD 500) : I paid 400 €, including P&P to Portugal... Not exactly cheap, but comparable with a big 1/32 kits with some AM and books ;), of which I have a few ....

I am about to fly off for work, then some vacation. It's going to be another two weeks before I get it levelled and can try some printing :ph34r:

Hubert

i-wZPFKjL-338x450.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, HubertB said:

Just got a new piece of hi-tech gear :D, encouraged by what I saw from MIke (Swinburne) on Ernie's Lancaster thread.

The price on Amazon was too good to miss, for what is said to be the best at this price (below USD 500) : I paid 400 €, including P&P to Portugal... Not exactly cheap, but comparable with a big 1/32 kits with some AM and books ;), of which I have a few ....

I am about to fly off for work, then some vacation. It's going to be another two weeks before I get it levelled and can try some printing :ph34r:

Hubert

i-wZPFKjL-338x450.jpg

You guys all get such cool stuff.........................

• Like 3