Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

I tried finding pipe cleaners at my local grocery store last month for my dead frog project I did for my daughter.  Nothing around my neck of the woods.  I guess they just get a new crack pipe when they get dirty around these parts.  Then I remembered I had a pack in my gun cleaning box.  
So Bill, what ya using them for?  Some special painting technique or just cleaning airbrushes and things?  

Oh, as far as the conversion kit, not a lot in the box.  Including any form of instructions.  Has the two piece radome, what appears to be some interior parts and fuselage bottom behind the radome and of course the top piece that converts the green house and turret.   Doesn’t even have any panel lines scribed into it.  It’s a real modelers conversion.  Not a bolt on and go. Oh, forgot.  Also has the stabilizer fins to add as well.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I tried finding pipe cleaners at my local grocery store last month for my dead frog project I did for my daughter.  Nothing around my neck of the woods.  I guess they just get a new crack pipe when they get dirty around these parts.  Then I remembered I had a pack in my gun cleaning box.  
So Bill, what ya using them for?  Some special painting technique or just cleaning airbrushes and things?  

Oh, as far as the conversion kit, not a lot in the box.  Including any form of instructions.  Has the two piece radome, what appears to be some interior parts and fuselage bottom behind the radome and of course the top piece that converts the green house and turret.   Doesn’t even have any panel lines scribed into it.  It’s a real modelers conversion.  Not a bolt on and go. Oh, forgot.  Also has the stabilizer fins to add as well.  

Scott, I use them to avoid a sharp demarcation between paint colors. They bend easily and hold their shape. I tape them to the fuselage and spray from a short distance. I'll have pictures up on my Kingfisher build soon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

BIll

Nice haul for 2022. I spied in your acquisitions a Minicraft 1/72 F9F-8 Cougar. I just love Grumman Cats as a Long Island Boy.  Either last year or the year before I found on line a 1/72 Grumman F11F Tiger - one on my favorite aircraft of all time and nothing short of gorgeous. The only thing that keeps me from building it, is the old decal sheet that came with the kit and I can't find any newer and safe ones; maybe someday. I do have a long range plan to build my favorite aircraft of the 1950's and 60's in 1/72, as in flight for the display case - just never seem to get around to it. 

• Like 5

The Lancaster has been here for a while, carefully resting on a table in the house. I'm still overwhelmed by Ernie's generosity and good heart. I've opened the box, checked the glass and all is well. I do plan on building the Lancaster this year and it is going to be a mammoth but enjoyable long term project. I've never built a model this size nor one this expensive - so the pressure is on from the start. I'm still doing research, bought Richard Alexander's book; The Avro Lancaster MkI/III, researching and will be purchasing selective AM - not much as the kit is as detailed as you can get. The AM list: the Quinta Cockpit set (soon to be released), the ASK Glass Mask set and 1ManArmy Stencil Data Masks and I think that will be it.  Paints will be by the gallon and most likely MRP. 

Logistic wise, I need to hook up my Artograph 1530 paint booth as my current setup is totally inadequate. I'm still working out how to display the Lancaster when done. 

Thanks again Ernie, so very much appreciated and still can't believe it.

VjtJ32.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

The Lancaster has been here for a while, carefully resting on a table in the house. I'm still overwhelmed by Ernie's generosity and good heart. I've opened the box, checked the glass and all is well. I do plan on building the Lancaster this year and it is going to be a mammoth but enjoyable long term project. I've never built a model this size nor one this expensive - so the pressure is on from the start. I'm still doing research, bought Richard Alexander's book; The Avro Lancaster MkI/III, researching and will be purchasing selective AM - not much as the kit is as detailed as you can get. The AM list: the Quinta Cockpit set (soon to be released), the ASK Glass Mask set and 1ManArmy Stencil Data Masks and I think that will be it.  Paints will be by the gallon and most likely MRP. 

Logistic wise, I need to hook up my Artograph 1530 paint booth as my current setup is totally inadequate. I'm still working out how to display the Lancaster when done. 

Thanks again Ernie, so very much appreciated and still can't believe it.

VjtJ32.jpg

Have fun with that one

I whas thinking on buying one but dondt have the room for it.

Mark

• Like 5

Peter, I understand the space issues. I've got a pair of these behemoths, one from Ernie as well. 

There's an option with the Lancaster to have the wing separate between the engine nacelles. This is an actual joint on the real plane and they've included it in the kit to help folks with space issues.

It also helps folks wanting to build a factory diorama that don't have space issues.  :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Phil

Right now, I haven't thought much past Quinta interior set and the two masks sets. over the next few months, I make a list of what other AM I might want to use. I've been following a few builds of the Lancaster and of course, following Nigel's OOB build and from what I've seen, the kit parts are exceptionally very good. 

My plan right now after I finish the Kingfisher, is to build the Revell Spitfire Mk IIa with AM and the Kotare Mk Ia and then devote all my bench time to the Lancaster. 

ve 

• Like 2

Peter, I'd consider Master brass barrels for the kit. They make a set ostensibly for the HK kit but there's no reason it wouldn't work on the Border kit. Border does include brass barrels but they oddly left the cooling jackets out so they're not truly usable. 

Other possible AM you could consider would be:

-Barracudacast resin wheels and radios

-Resin2Detail pilot's seat and controls

-Belcher Bits bulged bomb bay doors depending on the specific plane you decide to model

-Profimodeler does a pitot tube I believe. 

Not all of the above is needed but certainly are some mm ore options for you. 

Carl 

• Like 3