Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

On 2/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, belugawhaleman said:

Got this today; supposed to work well with clear parts ....it's meant for repairing

watch crystals  It's G-S Hypo cement. It has a fine needle applicator that includes

a fine wire attached to the cap that goes into the needle when not using. Upon inspection, I had to use my 3.5 power magnifying glasses to get the cap back on!

Anyway, I've heard good things said about this stuff.....thought I'd give it a try.

Anyone else used this stuff? Only thing the tube is very small ( 1/3 fluid oz.)

DSCN1047_kindlephoto-50096217.jpg

I have it as well but found that it was 'stringy'.  It doesn't really put a drop down cleanly, at least in my experience.  I moved on to Formula 560 and Gator Acrylic Glue.  Formula 560 dries very clear, is easy to apply, washes up with water (and thins with water too!).  Perfect for attaching clear parts.  Let me know if you have a better experience with the G-S cement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

I have it as well but found that it was 'stringy'.  It doesn't really put a drop down cleanly, at least in my experience.  I moved on to Formula 560 and Gator Acrylic Glue.  Formula 560 dries very clear, is easy to apply, washes up with water (and thins with water too!).  Perfect for attaching clear parts.  Let me know if you have a better experience with the G-S cement.

Yes, I see what you mean about being stringy.....I was going to try it on my Steyr windshield, but decided to use small dabs of Future instead. Anyway, I'll find a use for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harv said:

Like to know how the Saber kit is. .....harv 

Hey!

I built it before, and I believe it's a pantagraph kit of the Academy 48th Sabre. It's a fairly straightforward build, but it has some minor fit issues. It's the first kit that Kinetic did in 32nd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, harv said:

Is it engraved ?....harv 

Yes!

I'm a terrible reviewer! 

It's decent quality, but you can tell it is scaled up. some parts are clunky, but it comes together like a Sabre Mk.5 ish or F-86-30. There is a also a F-40 boxing.

I got the second one because the first one came together fairly easily... I thought I'd build another! (also the older one was a casualty of too many moves...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

Looks great. I did notice the lamp is 6000K and the light color will be just a bit on the cooler side (slightly blueish), which should be just fine. Seems it's nearly impossible these days to actually find 5000K bulbs or LEDS anymore.  You can just never have enough light and wattage. 

Mark, when you have a chance, could you do a quick review as I need to add/replace one of my OTT lights for the bench and would want to try something a bit different.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Mark

Looks great. I did notice the lamp is 6000K and the light color will be just a bit on the cooler side (slightly blueish), which should be just fine. Seems it's nearly impossible these days to actually find 5000K bulbs or LEDS anymore.  You can just never have enough light and wattage. 

Mark, when you have a chance, could you do a quick review as I need to add/replace one of my OTT lights for the bench and would want to try something a bit different.

Peter i dondt know much about light and the figs but the most importent to me whas day light.

Will try it later today and will post what i think about it.

It has 2 settings for the light soft and full the good thing so far is that the light bar is 51cm and thats already a big win for me.

Mark

• Like 5

Mark

Yes, the light looks fantastic and I do like the idea of two power settings. Kelvin temperature is just the color of light and 6000K is where the world is going these days, which is just fine. Of most importance to me is the actual amount of illumination and how it spreads across the work bench. Eagerly waiting your firsthand feelings after using the light.

• Like 3

Hey Peter, this might be of some interest for you.  My old circular magnifier that had one of the round florescent lights died about the time I got my bench set up.   Amazon has an LED replacement “bulb” that works fantastically.  It’s also a 6k lamp.

Amazon link

But if you run across one of the old work lamps, it’s worth the effort to upgrade it. 
You can see it here in my pic I took when I finished the new bench.  As you can see, I built the bench to hold this specific lamp I had, so I had some motivation to keep it working!  
I9fNUp.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Peter, don't forget Mark is in Europe so what he has may not be available in North America. 

Home Depot in Canada has LEDs where you can adjust the wavelength from 3K to 6k depending on the use. I imagine they should have those in the US as well. I'm using a pair of 48" work lights over my bench I got from Costco. They give off way more light than I used to have and were fairly inexpensive too.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Hey Peter, this might be of some interest for you.  My old circular magnifier that had one of the round florescent lights died about the time I got my bench set up.   Amazon has an LED replacement “bulb” that works fantastically.  It’s also a 6k lamp.

Amazon link

But if you run across one of the old work lamps, it’s worth the effort to upgrade it. 
You can see it here in my pic I took when I finished the new bench.  As you can see, I built the bench to hold this specific lamp I had, so I had some motivation to keep it working!  
I9fNUp.jpg

Scott, now that's a light made for a man cave and any modeler would be proud to have.

• Like 4

Thanks Carl.

When we had the reno done I had overhead lights installed with LED Daylight bulbs - what a difference throughout the house. In my studio, I have two overhead LED's with daylight bulbs but still need extra light when working at the bench and have always used three OTT Daylight lamps, with one also having a magnifying lens. One bought the farm and I'm looking for a replacement the style as the one Mark purchased. 

• Like 3

This is the LED magnifying light I use: it has buttons to change the color profile of the light, but most of the time I just go for full illumination on both the red and blue buttons.  It actually has two rows of LEDs, Red and Blue (ish, not really red or blue, more warm and cool) and five degrees of adjustment for each one.

The light is good, the adjustment of the head is so so.  But it is LED and it is very bright.  But I would love to also have a wider LED light for the overall workbench.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Mark

Yes, the light looks fantastic and I do like the idea of two power settings. Kelvin temperature is just the color of light and 6000K is where the world is going these days, which is just fine. Of most importance to me is the actual amount of illumination and how it spreads across the work bench. Eagerly waiting your firsthand feelings after using the light.

This is what i think off my new work light.

you have 2 power settings bright and low

for me personal the bright is to hard for me so i go for the low setting and still light enough for me.

Its worth the money.

And yes im in europe so maybe this one is not availible for you

Mark

• Like 3

9 hours ago, harv said:

I think mine is close to 10 !!....harv 

I’ll just add that mine was bought for me 30 years ago when I started my job I just retired from.  They were going through and tossing things out no longer used due to no longer doing bench tech work.  I tossed it for them. 😇

• Like 2