The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hi all,

Time to throw my build into this.

The kit is great but I am a sucker for Aftermarket so I bought:

1. Eduard Big Ed Etch Set,

2. Eduard Brassin Wheel Set,

3. Eduard Brassin Exhaust Stacks,

4. Profimodeller Pitot Tube,

5. Some Uschi Plywood Decals (awaiting delivery on those).

Going to do the aircraft half bare metal and wood and the other half in a camouflage Im yet to decide upon.

So, looking forward to joining the group build and seeing how everyone else does too :)

Start%20Box.jpg

• Like 4

Wood going to be a challenge.
Still, always up for that and it'll be my 1st use of Uschi Wood Decals - maybe should have started a bit easier but hey what the hell.

Just awaiting their arrival, ordered 5 sheets of plywood not knowing whether thats enough or not!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some actual progress. 
Work busy, litrally all over the place and not been in the UK for very long at a spell since November.
Anyway enough of the excuses here we go.

Managed to get some paint down on the Cockpit and the Engine Nacelle structures.  Been using Ammo WW2 British Cockpit Set so the colour is A.MIG 219.  Ive been having some  issues airbrushing this in that it, in places, just doesn't want to stay in place which manifests itself in little 'holes' in the paintwork.  A subsequent coat seems to fix it but the coverage, for me anyway, doesn't seem as predictable and Mr Paint or even Vallejo Air.  Has anyone else seen this?  It has the same effect whether straight down on the plastic or undercoated.  Its pretty apparent on the 3rd picture below.

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-2.jpg

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-3.jpg

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-7.jpg

Also managed to do the 1st layer of etch on the Instrument panel and some of the radio equipment as well as do the etched Rudder Pedals.  The Pedals were a right pain in the ass but thankfully came out pretty well I think, I just hope they are visible once the cockpit is in place.  I'll start weathering and picking out the details in the cockpit parts in the next session.  

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-14.jpg

The landing gear is done too.  Well the basics are.  Again I used some Eduard for the mudguard fittings.  It was then painted in Alclad Semi Gloss Aluminium after an undercoat of their Gloss Black Base.  The same was done for the Eduard Brassin wheel hubs.  The tyres themselves are in Tamiya Tyre Black.

Those who know the kit will see that I managed to damage one of the gear sets by somehow snapping the loops where the lower piece joins.  Luckily enough there will be enough plastic left to ensure theres enough support for the weight of the model.

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-6.jpg

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-5.jpg

Ive also undercoated the amazing resin renditions of the crew. These have to be seen to be believed, they are gorgeous.  I just hope I can do them justice but think maybe something of this quality needs a better figure painter than I am.  They almost looked to be in a black and white photo whilst I was airbrushing the Alclad White Primer and Micro Filler on them and I almost left them just like that.  

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-9.jpg

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-12.jpg

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-11.jpg

HK%20Mosquito%20Group%20Build-10.jpg

As per my 'Half Naked' build the side thats bare plywood and aluminium wont be weathered other than maybe a little shading but the other, camouflaged side, will get weathered.  Plenty more fun to come.

• Like 1

Great start mate

Looking good despite the issues you are having. I have experienced similar problems in the past ( fish eyes in the finish ) when using Vallejo Modelair and though it was down to me not washing the parts but even after a good scrubbing and a coat of primer I have still had a "spotty" finish. I couldn't pin down exactly what the cause was but more than likely contamination with the remnants of something in my airbrush cup.

I still have a huge number of these paints in my stash but mainly use them for brush painting figures and small details. I switched to Tamiya and Gunze acrylics/ lacquers a while ago and get much more consistent results using self levelling thinner.

The figures do look very nice indeed, beautifully detailed

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice words Brundledonk.
I wondered if somewhere in the Airbrush is some cleaner or something thats contaminating it Im usually very careful when cleaning the brush out but maybe now and then something gets in there or some paints are more susceptible.
I know what you mean, I have had it here and there before with all sorts of paints, I just wonder if my airbrush is in need of a good deep clean.

The figures are stunning.  The detail in them is amazing and the fact that things like the Bomb Aimers helmet is so well rendered amazes me how they do these to this standard.

Wood going to be a challenge.

Still, always up for that and it'll be my 1st use of Uschi Wood Decals - maybe should have started a bit easier but hey what the hell.

Just awaiting their arrival, ordered 5 sheets of plywood not knowing whether thats enough or not!

I used about 3 three full sheets on my woodgrain Mosquito in 1:72. There are so pictures here, and a WIP is linked in case your interested:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4396-172-tamiya-dehavilland-mosquito-wood-finish/

This did include a hell of a lot of trial and error (mainly error) on my part, but once you get the hang of it it's fine.

One problem I had was orientating the grain and slight colour differences on the sheet to get a symmetrical finish port:stbd. I did 'waste' a lot of decal sheet trying to do this.

FWIW, after talking to Alex at UvdR, along with my own experience, my tips are:

* Don't forget to use PVA solution to stick the decals - they don't have much adhesive left once put in water.

* Don't use Microsol - it's not really necessary, and it caused blistering on mine.

* Try to plan the finish so you don't have to mask over the decals. They will lift if given the slightest opportunity.

* Use the lightest base colour you can - it's easy to darken the finish, but pretty much impossible to lighten the grain after application.

* Cut the decal panels oversize slightly, and trim them with a new #11 blade along the panel demarcations. If you cut a decal too small, it's trash, cut it too big and you can save it. Old blades are useless for this...you will get through a lot of new blades!

* Cut small hatches and panels in-situ - it's way easier than trying to do it via. a template.

There are a lot of "woodgrain" Mosquito models out there with errors in the panel materials.The panel demarcations and orientations are in fact very difficult to figure out from photographs. I did a lot of research and I think it's a fair representation of reality, although not perfect by any means. I made an error on the crew door - it should be planked not solid. The other subtle detail is that for aircraft with an aerial mast, the circular (or oval) panel that the mast locates in on the fuselage I believe should be bakelite red, not aluminium.

Good Luck with the project - really looking forward to seeing your progress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

As I have the Mossie in my stash (along with a lot of AM), I'm really looking forward how your daring planned finish works out. I like the half and half Idea.

Who produces these resin figures you where showing? I like them a lot and would be interested in a hint where to get them.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Hi Jase, thanx for your answer. It is a pity that there seems no way to purchase the figures, because I really like their natural poses. There are not so many convincing RAF-Pilots on the ground out there. Maybe I will contact HK about the source of the pilot-figures. I will not tell them that it is for a Tamiya Mossie build :).

Cheers Rob