The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Royal New Zealand Air Force SBD-4 Dauntless

This is a fantastic looking NZ SBD.  Really really nice job!  Could not do better myself.  I am being asked to build this SBD in 1/32.  I will be using the Trumpeter kit also.  What if anything is not included in the kit?  I saw the response regarding the FLAPS.  Nice flaps OOB.  ANything that I should know about this kit before I jump in.  Do you know if all the Trumpeter SBDs are of the same quality, same mold, or were there improvements made with newer releases?

• Like 1

On 14/04/2018 at 4:07 PM, jjetmec said:

This is a fantastic looking NZ SBD.  Really really nice job!  Could not do better myself.  I am being asked to build this SBD in 1/32.  I will be using the Trumpeter kit also.  What if anything is not included in the kit?  I saw the response regarding the FLAPS.  Nice flaps OOB.  ANything that I should know about this kit before I jump in.  Do you know if all the Trumpeter SBDs are of the same quality, same mold, or were there improvements made with newer releases?

I went very light on the aftermarket just the masks and rest was out of the box.  This is my second 1/32 Trumpy Dauntless, the first one being built as a Banshee, see below.  I am not aware of any changes between releases other than the parts needed for the version depicted.  I would say just jump right in - this is an excellent kit with a Tamiya standard of fit.   The painting instructions, as always with Trumpy, are a bit sparse, so I would just do some on-line research to beef up the interior painting.

Built as per the instructions the kit would have the flaps (dive brakes) open but the photos of this particular aircraft showed them closed on the ground so I modified the kit to that as I was not convinced of the 'look' with them open as I depicted them in my first build.   A pic of that Banshee below:

IMG00819-20120628-0631.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...