The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter TBM-3 finished

This thing makes for a sizeable model and it's one of their better kits. I didn't have any BIG problems, just the usual fiddly bit and clumsiness problems. I substituted the Black Box cockpit set which is much more detailed and crisp than the kit parts (although they aren't that bad). I also used the VERY nice Signifer wheels. Although this kit is a TBM-3 I chose to convert it to a -3E by scratching the AN/APS-4 radar pod and enclosing the underside gunner's position. I used a combination of Model Master Gloss Sea Blue and Colourcoats GSB. I used my own interior green which I mix to suit my eyes which is a mix of Testor's Field Green, Leather, and Zinc Chromate. Decals are a mix of kit decals, Techmod, and "stash". After all that I oversprayed the whole model with Alclad Semi Gloss Clear. Now I have to find room in one of my display cases for it! I hope you guys like it. :)

9-3-18 002.jpg

9-3-18 003.jpg

9-3-18 004.jpg

9-3-18 005.jpg

9-3-18 006.jpg

9-3-18 007.jpg

9-3-18 008.jpg

• Like 14

55 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Lovely result John and sooo fast. Takes me a minimum 4-6 months to do anything this size. :unworthy:

I'm glad you like it, thanks! I just have plenty of time now that I'm retired. :)

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, harv said:

Ok, stop bragging and start something else all ready. I'm retired and can't build nearly as fast, like an ice flow......Harv

:rolleyes:

LOL Harv. Right now I'm trying to decide on my next build. Decisions decisions! :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

John, any thoughts to finishing that P-61?  That’s one that’s on my list of things to do in the future...

I'll pull it off the SOD and take a look Ernie. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see. :)

Okay Ernie, I looked it over and decided to resume the build. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Awesome build and a joy to follow. Aces on the finish: yours are always a gem.

Peter;)

Thanks Peter! It took me forever to decide on WHICH markings I was going to go with and I'm happy with the one's I decided on. :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Super clean build John, I like the radar pod , makes it into an unusual looking Avenger. Bravo!

Cheers

Martin

Thank you Martin. Something a little bit different than just OOB. Scratching the pod was easier than I first thought. :)

• Like 1