Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope 3rd"

evening ladies & thank you :)

have been sorting out more of the basic structural elements so ultimately I have the airframe ready to skin in one (long) go, rather then the Spitfire where I did it bits at a time and had trouble protecting finished work as I did some pretty violent things like those I am doing now...

starting with the tailwheel well - I started byu cutting just the doors out, but soon realised I could not detail the inside through the small aperture - I won't go mad in here, but I will replicate most of what I can see - here is the real (current) Lopes Hope..

WIP538_zpse4vtpel3.jpg

..I started by cutting out the section between two fuselage stations in between the whole structure and getting rid of all the solid foam inside - painted it black so none of this is seen...

WIP540_zpsnvfjay57.jpg

..then from many scaled plan parts I assembled the main structure from litho, with brass strengthening where the wheel leg will mount...

WIP539_zpsxrenvuuw.jpg

..added some details and skinned the sides of it so it can drop in as a complete pod...

WIP541_zpsuiawerdy.jpg

..this was then added and CA'd into position ready for the fuselage section to be added back & filling..

WIP542_zpswk6qx4ry.jpg

..and after cleaning up, the basics are in there I can come back to later..

WIP544_zpsnnggaekx.jpg

..I also added the airscoop and got the shapes in this area where I was happy with them..

WIP545_zpsxmaxycee.jpg

WIP543_zpsx4ygzrkj.jpg

..the next bit of surgery was around the wing fillets - they seem quite complex on a P51 with the top edge sitting over the flaps and a lower fairing cut away right back to the fuselage wall..

WIP546_zpsjolvlsft.jpg

..the moulded fillet is a bit ugly and will need quite a bit of work..

WIP547_zpsrjm5meug.jpg

..I made a slit in the fuselage and added a brass template from a scaled plan - I also faked a flap from bent litho so I could get the dimensions right...

WIP548_zps9kbghot9.jpg

..then lots of filling & shaping and trying hard to work around and not damage the skinned part of the airscoop...

WIP549_zpsl5b82pzv.jpg

..and finally after a shot of primer to see whats what, the basics seem to be coming together...

WIP550_zpssr8oeep1.jpg

WIP551_zpsakfksuha.jpg

WIP552_zpsh1vm5mlo.jpg

..the skin panels that have to go over that lot are quite distinctive so looking forward to that when the time comes :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Howdy folks & thanks for stopping by :)

just a little update today..

I needed to sort out the landing light - just like this one...

WIP554_zpsfiede5lf.jpg

..started by cutting the section from the wing..

WIP553_zpssqjo2ro2.jpg

..the lamp itself has a rounded rim so I made up a vacform tool and vacformed it from black plastic so I don't need to paint near the glass..

WIP556_zpsq7wchkga.jpg

..made a chrome dome reflector from ali and glazed it, also made up the mounting bracket from plans...

WIP557_zpsfsqoo02k.jpg

..mounted it all and spent some time trying to heat form the leading edge from PETG in boiling water - it's the blue thing at the bottom, still in it's protective wrap

WIP558_zpsmsbmnypj.jpg

..hard to photograph it mounted, but it's all in place - the whole unit had to be virtually airtight so as not to let any dust in while it was faired in - a coat of matt black means the metal won't show when I skin it..

WIP559_zpsr7uiz4py.jpg

..also installed the gun ports by adding ali tube and lining it all up allowing for the vertical offset of the barrel tubes..

WIP560_zps5pcy0fs0.jpg

..not finished, but the grunt work is done..

WIP561_zpsgksbkcqb.jpg

..having done most of the big bits on the airframe, I thought I would move into the wheel bays - I decided to cut the skin back to the mainspar to give some working room and realised the hard foam had crept in and needed cleaning out...

WIP562_zpsitidkkph.jpg

..made up some 'T' stringers from PE and strips of plastic card - I actually made another version to be folded up but it didn't work as I forgot to etch a scoreline into the top fold - these will work just fine though..

WIP563_zpshdoifqvo.jpg

..the best place to start was with the central rib, so I made up a laminate from plastic & ali and scaled the real one's layout - mine is shallower as I have brass sheet in the wheelbay roof to support the leg mounts...

WIP564_zps1t8ohzkc.jpg

..the main details & openings were transposed from the plans and added...

WIP565_zpsfgrpck7g.jpg

..and then the rib itself was detailed - I will only add what is painted Yellow Zinc Chromate (I think - anyone know the right colour?) - so I can spray the complete bay before adding all the gubbins..

WIP566_zpsngvnfs6a.jpg

..and the rib in place with the rear spar faces which are next..

..you can also see I had to cut a hole in the well roof as I found a big opening with loads of bobbins & pipes coming through from the engine bay..

WIP567_zpsxroppmja.jpg

WIP568_zpskuql6k47.jpg

..rear spar wall is next and then the stringers - after that it's all the ribs with cut-outs for the gear legs etc..

..I could be in here for some time...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8

evening folks :)

..I had a full day at the bench today so got lots of the groundwork done in the wheelbay...

..started with the face of the main spars - I took details from the drawings for where there was rivet detail..

WIP570_zpsyo18tdke.jpg

..and added flanges where there are ribs to help with placement and vertical orientation (and they are there on the real one...)

WIP571_zpsume7uxyq.jpg

..there is a central bulkhead at the front of the bay below the engine, so again I took the drawings and made a template I can use..

WIP569_zps5qxktqrc.jpg

..this isthen transferred to litho - in thiscase what actually fits in the model and a best fit made so I can use the detail but don't always have to rebuild everything..

I start by drilling pilot holes and then either use a burr in a dremel or a broach (best tools ever you must get some) to widen the hole to the plan diameter - a quick sand or rub with wire wool and the holes are done... for apertures I drill holes and then scribe to join the holes & break out the bit in the middle..

WIP572_zpscnypwtub.jpg

...added the spar walls and all the 'T' stringers in the roof...and also cut out two small square holes for the U/C uplocks..

WIP573_zpswmu2rewr.jpg

WIP574_zpsisbnooqo.jpg

..both sides..

WIP575_zpsyjajijm1.jpg

WIP576_zpsc720wv3a.jpg

..and in a day spent on metalworking added all the forward panels to close the bay off ready for ribs..

found a top tip by accident - using my UMM punch set and I used a 5mm punch in a 5.5mm hole and it flared the edge which is something I have been trying to do for ages & spent hours & lots of fails getting wrong...

WIP577_zps9mhpp7nt.jpg

WIP578_zpszaquj2og.jpg

..ribs next...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 9

Guys, don't be fooled.. i know exactly what Peter is doing here.. he has dismantled a real P-51 and is posting pictures of its component parts.

There's no way that anyone could make a model this realistic and we shouldn't be taken in by it.

• Like 6

evening folks :)

still plugging away on the wheel bay...

wanted to make the big spar attatchement seen here (the long black thing on the left with loads of bolts in it)

WIP586_zpstuywxps9.jpg

scaled the drawing and started drilling lots of holes in a square tube of brass of the same size...(always drill any hole in anything first, before doing anything else...)

WIP588_zpsx4j6znis.jpg

..put a template each side and ground away the waste...

WIP587_zpsq0elrndd.jpg

..and added small lengths of wire & micro nuts...

WIP589_zps373edjak.jpg

..andf fitted to the spar...

WIP591_zpssxafhgyk.jpg

..also made the gear retraction unit from a bit of perspex acrylic - filed & sanded to the shape with a disc added to the front face but allowing for the slide on gear legs to come later...

WIP592_zpsw6npqhgi.jpg

..finished all the ribs...

WIP590_zps20hrxcco.jpg

..and sprayed everything with Xtracolour zinc chromate - nothing is assembled yet, just placed for the photos

WIP594_zpskkc0v0zy.jpg

WIP595_zps0kmasesf.jpg

WIP596_zpsztiuwxwc.jpg

WIP599_zpstz5os2iu.jpg

WIP598_zpso8zw4ico.jpg

WIP597_zpsjrwwl7uc.jpg

..thats it for now - back soon :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8

hello again my friends

sometimes you get to a bit of a model and get a bit overwhelmed - that is me now in this wheel bay. The Spitfire I did was simplicity itself, a few ribs, a few pipes & done - the P51 is a complex aeroplane with many things going on and crucially differences between the C and D model (for which there are more reference pics about...)

..when this happens, I just try and pick a part as at some point it's got to be made, so why not now... I might not fit it to the airframe yet while I work out all the layers of stuff so things don't clash with each other, but to maintain momentum just pick something & crack on...

..this looked fun, so I started with it - its a condenser of some sort and in a 'C' is the opposite bay to a 'D'..

WIP602_zps3gwvbijb.jpg

..I got my lathe out & dusted it off and started turning the end caps - I only took one pic and it's rubbish so sorry about that..

WIP601_zpsva7jtix0.jpg

..I also made some of the pipe unions on the lathe from hex stock and soon had a kit of parts to make it.. the decal for the word 'CAUTION' was letter by letter stolen from a 1/24 Mosquito decal for something or other - the little one says Fuel when it shouldn't but thats our little secret ...

WIP603_zpshgm2yfwf.jpg

WIP607_zpsl3hkxy0o.jpg

WIP608_zpsbmerxtqs.jpg

..next was the inner gear door retraction jacks - again these are in a different place on a 'C' - right up front in the big hole in the roof of the bay, whereas on a 'D' they are on the rear spar face..

..you can see one of the pair at top left with a label hanging off it..

WIP605_zpsywpmdoxx.jpg

..lathed the piston parts and got the size / angles from drawings..

..the three little lugs on the fronts of the jacks had to be made and added one by one as I had no idea how to do it otherwise..

WIP604_zps5ickqntv.jpg

..and painted & decalled - this time stolen from what may have been a Sea Fury..

WIP606_zpsmvwd0w9z.jpg

..one of the most intimidating parts is a fuel selector valve assembly - the multi-pipe thing seen here on the right with all the pipe stubs..

WIP611_zpsicicxa6a.jpg

..had it been a hexagon it may have been simpler as I have some 6mm Hex brass stock, but it's not, it's a pentagon...

..I started by turning the centre boss on the lathe, then measured & marked out where to file flats on some ali rod and filed faces to start the core part, I also ground 'V's' into some brass tube so I could bend it at 90 degrees and solder it as you can see the unions the real one has are not curved like just bending a pipe would be so this was the only option..

..I made the pipe unions one by one...

WIP612_zpsvyvu0k5f.jpg

..cut the core off and drilled it toaccept the unions, I also added some airscale bezels to get the fittings on the faces...

WIP613_zpsbpjpebah.jpg

..and dry fitted - all these unions are at specific angles so I will work that out & fit them properly tomorrow..

..I will add heat shrink tubing for the rubber pipework later on..

WIP614_zpsp8twpeki.jpg

WIP615_zpsje2ct1ea.jpg

..the last little bit was adding the fuel gauge to the centre rib..

WIP610_zpsygqblfyx.jpg

..and the back of the instrument with it's wiring...

WIP609_zps3ccaiqeb.jpg

..if every day I make a part, one day it will be complete...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8