The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

• Administrators

What’s crazy is that those little Japanese 4 banger econo boxes will, given the correct bolt on goodies and programs, outrun, outcorner, outbrake, and outperform the best tuned hottest 1960s muscle cars, day after day, hour after hour, year after year, with the A/C on.

Technology is a beautiful thing.   But..  I’ll still take a rumbling, snorting V8 over a winged dingey sounding little sewing machine motor any day.  I may lose, but I’ll look and sound cool doing it. 

hahahaha. Love you guys!

• Like 4

• Administrators

The only Japanese car I’ve ever owned was a 78 Subaru Brat.  I absolutely LOVED that little thing. I couldn’t kill it, even as it rusted out around me.

I had that truck buried up to the doorsills in mud, stuck tight. The winch in the front pulled me out, military style. Tied the cable to a tree and pulled myself forward. I went a half mile that way. 150 ft at a time :)  no turning around. Don’t ask me why I got there in the first place.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Guys, I have a question for you. I am thinking to add some more rubber on my 15GT. And within the style that I have chosen are 3 options .

Liquid graphite

(...)

Liquid Graphite. And if you don't clean them, you'll get that bronzish look anyway. ^^

• Like 3

You guys and your fast cars.  Can it carry an 8' sheet?  A complete sofa suite in one load?  I drive a beat up 98' Toyota Hilux 3.0Litre diesel with a tray.

I've driven for years, most of it professionally.  I just don't see any romance of the road.  I've always been more about the destination.  The first car I really (I mean really) wanted to buy:  A VW Karmann Ghia.  Guess what...  my 6'3" frame didn't fit...  and that was before I got a gut.

My life situation kept me in Firebirds for a while, but each one was A BAD-LUCK-CAR.  The better they looked, the more trouble.  Had a Ford Maverick...  great little car...  but ugly as sin.

Maybe I've gotten old and cranky.  I just wanna get where I'm going and be done with it.  I have models to build.

My wife just bought a Honda CBA 500 RA.  She's still in the process of getting her motor Cycle license.

Don't want a motor cycle, either.

She'll ride with her brother.

I envy you...  but I just don't see the point.

Gaz

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Well, it's just a hobby. And in many cases "hobby" and "reason/practicability" have very little in common.

In terms of practicability, I much prefer my daily drive - a hybrid Volvo V90 station wagon. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

What’s crazy is that those little Japanese 4 banger econo boxes will, given the correct bolt on goodies and programs, outrun, outcorner, outbrake, and outperform the best tuned hottest 1960s muscle cars, day after day, hour after hour, year after year, with the A/C on.

Technology is a beautiful thing.   But..  I’ll still take a rumbling, snorting V8 over a winged dingey sounding little sewing machine motor any day.  I may lose, but I’ll look and sound cool doing it. 

hahahaha. Love you guys!

I'm actually short 1 cylinder. The Beat is a 660cc 3 cylinder. Which means my entire engine has less displacement then a single cylinder in any of the pony cars here. 

Ernie, you're absolutely right in that there's nothing that sounds like a good ol' V8. One of the dads at my sons' school drives his kid there in a '70s  Beaumont. Love hearing that car rumble up.

Carl

• Like 4

• Administrators

We all have our hobbies.  Try explaining my joy of shooting and my antique firearm collection to an anti gun person  it’s like trying to put out a volcano by peeing into the crater.

Same with fast cars and bikes.  I’m ‘mostly’ over the fast car and bike thing, but I live to ride long distances on a bike till my butt is hollering for me to stop and I love 1950s cars.  I wish I had the inseam for certain modern BMW motorcycles, but alas, they’re just too tall, so I stick with American  

life goes on. Until it doesn’t. Then I’m called home  

• Like 6

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I'm actually short 1 cylinder. The Beat is a 660cc 3 cylinder. Which means my entire engine has less displacement then a single cylinder in any of the pony cars here. 

Ernie, you're absolutely right in that there's nothing that sounds like a good ol' V8. One of the dads at my sons' school drives his kid there in a '70s  Beaumont. Love hearing that car rumble up.

Carl

Dang! We don’t get the Beat here, Carl. The smallest Honda available is a  Civic, I think. 

Now I drive 14 Focus I bought new. 155,000 MILES already without a hitch. Great, if unexciting car. Thinking of a Subaru for my next. Might spring for a WRX or, God forbid, I hear the Siren call of the GTi.

One way or another, the time is rapidly approaching

• Like 4

Fantastic discussion guys, thanks for the input . Yeah cars are fun as a hobby. For practical reasons our secondary vehicle is a minivan. As a matter of fact that is the most practical automobile I have ever owned. My wife is thinking about Challenger, it has the specifics of a family car , 5 seats, 4 body trunk,,, :),  but who's gonna build the new garage? I might have to sell one of the Mustangs then....the dog too. Any takers? :)

IMG_1461.thumb.JPG.227522f4f1312e3a9c9780df965a62ce.JPG

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

more like this, with the exception of the automatic tranny.

636657866570657398-DG019-005CLa2saelfs4c

There was one of these in black just up the street from us. My wife loved it and wanted one. When I asked  her what about the boys, her response was they're old enough to put on their own seatbelts so we wouldn't have to climb  in and do it.

Here was the proof of concept:

i-S2v2VZS-L.jpg

I love my wife. 

Carl

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Fantastic discussion guys, thanks for the input . Yeah cars are fun as a hobby. For practical reasons our secondary vehicle is a minivan. As a matter of fact that is the most practical automobile I have ever owned. My wife is thinking about Challenger, it has the specifics of a family car , 5 seats, 4 body trunk,,, :),  but who's gonna build the new garage? I might have to sell one of the Mustangs then....the dog too. Any takers? :)

IMG_1461.thumb.JPG.227522f4f1312e3a9c9780df965a62ce.JPG

If the dog comes with the Fox body, I could be interested. :p

• Like 2