The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

What a 11,391 model collection looks like

BlrwestSiR

I just got an email from West Coast Hobbys in BC. They're helping a client sell a collection of kits that belonged to her father. Going thru the included gallery was absolutely astounding. It's mostly smaller scale aircraft but there's a bunch of 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 armour. So much rare and OOP stuff. 

https://westcoasthobbys.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f6256c2d4c390986ae8c57b8&id=8e73b5ba60&e=ba8c3d20c7

It's being sold as a single lot. So, anyone want to open a hobby shop?

The sad thing is the realization that there is no way anyone could have built everything in that collection, not even if you worked at it 24/7. 

Carl

• Like 4

• Administrators

He’s got quite the stash.  And I thought I was insane, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what he has. Just piles of kits.

80% of mine is WW2 and earlier British, German, and some US.  Postwar mostly US,  British and Czechoslovakian. And I want to build it all. 

The only thing I saw that piqued my interest was the Revell-Lodella Beaufighter.  

• Like 4

I understand the hassle of selling the stash individually, but the lot option is just going to making this sale far more difficult, if not impossible.

Personally I have eyed the Echelon Lightning, in my express scan ...

And Ernie, if you want a Lodela Beaufighter, I may have something for you ;)

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators

Wow!! now that's a collection... And with some very good stuff...

Selling as a lot option only will be available to major hobby shop but I don`t think that will want them...

If they chance their mind I maybe grab one or two.. :)

• Like 2

Very sad.   I feel I'll be a failure if I leave even a few kits for my family to dispose of.  While some see a model or two they want, I see a sad epitaph.  11,000 models.  Some people have more money than sense.

Gaz

• Like 5

The Echelon Lightning and Lodela Beaufighters caught my eye as well.

The seller doesn't want the hassle of breaking it up hence the lot sale.

Supposedly this collection is not far from me so if it does end up getting broken up for sale, I'm going to take the trip down. 

Carl

• Like 3

Wonder how much they are asking and also wonder what the 'street value' is, today, and what it cost to build........................I know how much my paltry stash cost, I just can't imagine..... well I can............... but I'd be really curious , it's almost a time capsule.......... incredible:o

• Like 3

• Administrators

The sad thing about all that is that most of it is stuff that's pretty much small scale stuff that sells for a couple bucks on the bargain table in the LHS and at giveaway prices .  Not much has any real "street value", per se.  I'm not into collector kits as some are, I'm a builder, and as a result I like resin and anything that'll give me the most accurate version of an aircraft with the least amount of BS.

My stash is all decent stuff and despite rumors to the contrary, looks worse than it is because it's all large scale kits with large scale boxes. And my wife knows exactly what to do if I get hit by a bus.

• Like 4

Ernie, I'd give a "like' to that post but apparently I'm all out.................... yeah , but still there is a ton of stuff there, I'd love to have that new B24 liberator Hasegawa/Eduard Raiders of the Night kit, and it is really expensive, and this guy has 2 of them..... incredible collection. And I totally hear you on the accurate version and no Bovine Excrement needed, but for me , it is a storage issue after they are built......IF I didn't have to consider the CEO of the household here, my models would be all over the place, even the 'what not shelf', but....... well you know.....so I am mostly confined to smaller stuff, due to that ...................except for the Mossie and Spitfire, I have on the go.. :rolleyes:, and again I'm fairly lucky, we live rurally and not many buses, although I should be wary of the snowplows....... still some very cool stuff there...... wide variety of sorts....  and for the record, I still haven't got the balls for a resin kit............................I'm too timid ? LOL

• Like 2

How much for the lot?

Big problem for the family to get rid of this . A lot sale is the best or hordes of cheap -ass' show up , looking for deals , wheedling over 2-3 dollars for a kit or two. Lots of peeps are prepared to take advantage of other peeps lack of model knowledge.

Anyone who has sold kits at shows will know exactly what I mean.

Allow one or two 'friends' to cherry pick the lot and your left with a lot of $1-$2 models nobody wants

Get cheap , arguing over $3 dollar kits, and you'll be stuck with them!

I would break them down into separate  lots of the same kits and get rid of them on ebay , should only take a few years...

• Like 2

I live in B.C.

So I am interested , but wary , very wary.

The last guy in B.C. who bought a huge collection still has most of it because he refused to pass along the benefits of his windfall. I went and bought one kit at the cash price of $60 , about $20 off retail , for a used kit , Then the goof tried to "estimate the tax" !! On a cash sale! He wanted to add it on !

Relating this story to my IPMS crew , as a heads up warning , resulted in his keeping of the kits and sales dropped off quickly.

I would try to find an honest person , good luck there , to facilitate the sale.

• Like 1

If i knew who to contact, I would be a serious bidder. I used to sell about $10K a month on ebay about 15 years ago, so I know how. Plus I would make it a point to hit every swap meet and IPMS show within 500 miles of me. And I have a few friends that buy lots and sell stuff. If anyone knows the details, let me know, please PM me!

• Like 2

My understanding is the collection is in/near Burlington, Ontario which is 30-45 min from Toronto. Looking at some of the shop names on the price tags, that makes sense. Of course, most are long gone.

It's an estate sale as the owner recently passed away.

1to1scale, I've sent you a PM with what I received in the email.

Carl

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

My biggest concern is not the cost, but how do I get a truckload of 11,000 kits over the border? I have connections in the trucking industry, but what would I do about customs?  

Do you HAVE to take ALL 11,000?? You do have friends here in Canada, that like you.................................:rofl:

My wife's mother collected elephant sculptures.  Had thousands of them when she passed.  Everyone left in the family has a full-time job and no desire to dick around with the mess.  They're still sitting in boxes collecting dust and taking up space.

I got most of my stash second-hand.  Unless the reaper comes swiftly and catches me off-guard before I reach the point where my hands, eyes, and mind are not able to enjoy modelling, I'm gonna try to give what's left away, and the stuff nobody wants will go in the bin.

Nobody should have to deal with another person's personal monument to silliness.

Gaz

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

My biggest concern is not the cost, but how do I get a truckload of 11,000 kits over the border? I have connections in the trucking industry, but what would I do about customs?  

Smile and give them the smallest scale as a gift and drive on!

• Like 1