The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Trumpy BAC Lightning F.Mk.6

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

My new project : The Englisch Electric Lightning F.Mk.6. One of my all time favourite Jet fighter aircraft of the Cold War period. Also i have a weakness for British Cold War fighter jet's. Kit is the 1/32 Trumpeter kit, with Aires cockpit set and Quickboost ejection seat. Also i needed the Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear. Also, allot of reference.

QTpV3xdl.jpg

My favorite color scheme would be a dark sea grey aircraft, but i couldn't find the right decals for it, they seem's out of print so i will chose for the overall dark green color scheme from the box.

Cool project. I will be following along.

if I may, the one AM you DO NOT need is the SAC gear. It will be as wrong as the kit’s one, being copied on it ( the MLG legs of the kit are too long by a few mm, making the stance of the aircraft wrong), and less durable in the long run. This is a kit where I’d really be worried to use the #% »/!& soft SAC stuff, made of the worst grade of crapium ...

Hubert

• Like 5

Guest DannyVM
2 hours ago, HubertB said:

Cool project. I will be following along.

if I may, the one AM you DO NOT need is the SAC gear. It will be as wrong as the kit’s one, being copied on it ( the MLG legs of the kit are too long by a few mm, making the stance of the aircraft wrong), and less durable in the long run. This is a kit where I’d really be worried to use the #% »/!& soft SAC stuff, made of the worst grade of crapium ...

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

the SAC gear is indeed a copy of the kit's gear, but it's way shorter, so it's a better choice to use. I know that there are pro's and con's, but at the end, i have no worries using it, so in my opinion, thank's for the warning but i find it a necessary AM item to use with the kit.

Regards

Danny

One of the coolest looking jets, brute power and it doesn't let you forget that, by viewing it, will follow definitely. The SAC stuff is casted out of very soft white metal for a heavy kit, just as Hubert said, you might get a natural suspension, but in a unwanted way ;).

Cheers Rob

As a kid I remember these being based at our nearest RAF base at Leuchars where my uncle worked. As Phil said they made one hell of a noise but they did go into the sky like a scalded cat. Biggest drawback was the lack of armament but if the sole purpose of an interceptor is to get to the target height as quick as possible it certainly fitted the bill.

Guest DannyVM
14 hours ago, DocRob said:

One of the coolest looking jets, brute power and it doesn't let you forget that, by viewing it, will follow definitely. The SAC stuff is casted out of very soft white metal for a heavy kit, just as Hubert said, you might get a natural suspension, but in a unwanted way ;).

Cheers Rob

Same go's for me Rob, i always had a weakness for British cold war jet's, especially the Lightning. Regarding the SAC gear, i know about it's weak point's, but like i said before, there isn't much other choice to use. The kit's LG legs are simply to long and it's a hell of a job to shorten them without getting them weaker as they all ready are. I'm gonna take the plunge and see.:construction: Again, like i said to Hubert, thank's for the warning, it's much appreciated.:thumbsup2:

12 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Remember seeing a pair scramble at RAF Coltishall in 1968, man they were loud, after the F4J May consider a Coltishall Lighting....

At the moment i'm a little bit with my back against the wall regarding color choice and markings. My first choice is an F.6 in medium sea grey or in a dark grey upper surface. I know Xtra decal made some very interesting scheme's, but i can't find them anywhere. Second choice would be the kit provided marking in dark green, but that's an F.2A

r2FYoogl.jpg

I still have time to search, so will see.

10 hours ago, GusMac said:

As a kid I remember these being based at our nearest RAF base at Leuchars where my uncle worked. As Phil said they made one hell of a noise but they did go into the sky like a scalded cat. Biggest drawback was the lack of armament but if the sole purpose of an interceptor is to get to the target height as quick as possible it certainly fitted the bill.

I think the Lightning fitted the bill very well, if you see the time period within they where used. They where designed to perform into a concept that was very common in those day's, intercept high flying Russian bombers, for that purpose you needed raw power and two missiles where more then enough to shoot one down.

7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice project Danny! I've got the pretty much the same bunch of AM for mine.

Carl

Thank's Carl, one AM i ordered is still on it's way to me:piliot:can't wait to get it in my hands.:)

Guest DannyVM

Ok Guy's, i started and like always, we gonna tackle the cockpit. First i wanted to show you guy's the difference in height of one of the SAC LG leg's compared with the kit's leg.

l9xVdqtl.jpg

Ok, it's cockpit time.:construction: For this kit i'm gonna use the Aires cockpit set. One of the thing's i always do before starting an Aires cockpit is dry-fit them into the two fuselage half's. Aires has a nasty way of habit regarding fit issues into the kit's fuselage for which they where designed. On this account everything went very smooth. I don't even have to sand the side walls prior to let the tub fall into the fuselage. It falls by itself right in place. I think i even have to glue some styreen to make contact against the fuselage side walls, will see, how that will go.

D2iU7MCl.jpg

g5rTjb7l.jpg

2TsngPLl.jpg

The only thing i need to do is removing the casting block underneath the cockpit tub because this will get in the way for the front landing gear bay.

Like all the Aires stuff, details are begging to be painted. I decided to use another ejection seat, still from the Aires stable, the Quickboost seat has the seat-belt's casted in resin.

8pqlofRl.jpg

KbvvI6ol.jpg

Isn't that a beauty

wkFKcsKl.jpg

I hope i can do some painting today.

Regards

Danny

One other word of warning. Unfortunately, there are many issues with the Trumeter kit, like the too short fuselage, the too wide windscreen and canopy, which also implies a too wide dorsal spine, the too wide ventral tank, the too pinched rear fuselage at the level of the exhausts. You can decide to live with most of these, but one you will stumble on, and cannot avoid adressing, is the 5 mm gap between the intake ring and the intake pipes under the cockpit. 

The good news is that, if you move forward the whole pipes to avoid the gap with the front ring, you will also correct the wrong position of the nose ger compartment, which is too far back on the kit. You will just need to check the fit with the cockpit tub above ...

Hubert

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Google gave me this, have never heard of the shop before, good luck mate

http://www.flashie.nl/T/DC/DC227628.HTM

Cheers Rob

I know the shop Rob, today i ordered my data stencil sheet with them. The decals i need are not in stock. Thank's for the help mate.:thumbsup2:

4 hours ago, HubertB said:

One other word of warning. Unfortunately, there are many issues with the Trumeter kit, like the too short fuselage, the too wide windscreen and canopy, which also implies a too wide dorsal spine, the too wide ventral tank, the too pinched rear fuselage at the level of the exhausts. You can decide to live with most of these, but one you will stumble on, and cannot avoid adressing, is the 5 mm gap between the intake ring and the intake pipes under the cockpit. 

The good news is that, if you move forward the whole pipes to avoid the gap with the front ring, you will also correct the wrong position of the nose ger compartment, which is too far back on the kit. You will just need to check the fit with the cockpit tub above ...

Hubert

Thank's Hubert for the warning, i will keep notice.:thumbsup2:

Guest DannyVM
1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Danny

Nice start and what a bonus: the Aires pit fits and the Quickboost seat; wow! Thanks for the photo of the SAC gear as compaired to the kit’s gear - they did shorten it to what seems the correct length.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Indeed peter. The Aires pit fit's well, no problems at all. Regarding the SAC gear, i will give it a try. It's the correct length, so will see.

Today my last AM item was brought by the postman.:wtf:

9DJwgkal.jpg

Regards

Danny

Guest DannyVM
On 11/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, Peterpools said:

Danny

:omg: :Perfect

Peter

Yeah, that's what i said to when i new that i was the highest bidder.:wtf:

On 11/27/2018 at 2:57 PM, DocRob said:

Nah, it's off scale :D. Nice haul Danny, will you display the Lightning with the helmet?

Cheers Rob

Oh noooooo........:D:omg:........................Normally yes Rob. This helmet is a Mk.4, it was used from the early eighty's until now, so It could be that they where used on the Lightning. The Q-type oxygen mask i doubt, this was a later variant, the P-type was most common used, but okay, i can live with that.

19 hours ago, GusMac said:

Nice Danny. Do you have any spaces left in your cabinet for it? 

To be honest mate, nooooooooooooooooooo:wallbash:...........Space is something i dream of latest time.:sofa: