Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

HB Models B-24 Hints, Tweaks, Tips

Clunkmeister

4 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

GIVEAWAY!!

On my channel at "Nigel's modelling bench" on Youtube. I'm giving away the Airscale 1/32 Liberator Instrument Panel set.

Closes 19:30 GMT on 8th March 2019

I think Clunk is going to need one soon!

• Like 3

Hey guys,

I was asked a question on my YouTube channel.. "How will you get the weight in the nose with so much visible detail in there"?

I can't ignore such questions, so I made a video..

Hope you like it..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nige, I agree with you, I later theorized that if I used sheet, I could have used enough without the false bulkhead. I may still get some and do some additional weight, perhaps remove the bulkhead.

Now you just need to solve the Turret problems, so, get on with it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Nige, I agree with you, I later theorized that if I used sheet, I could have used enough without the false bulkhead. I may still get some and do some additional weight, perhaps remove the bulkhead.

Now you just need to solve the Turret problems, so, get on with it!

I've solved the turret problems...

I haven't built them.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:29 AM, Bilgerat 727 said:

First off I would like to thank the admins for the add. Second, Has anyone started to address the issue of all radio and nav equipment missing from this kit?Excuse me if this has already been posted.

This is the first I've heard of that issue? Care to pass on some detail on what is actually missing from where?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

That’s easy, Resin2Detail makes a radio set.

51AF1C67-282C-45F3-AE61-89499391E850.jpeg

B10BFAF7-EC83-4DFA-9040-0D18D1696BE2.jpeg

0FB85FDD-1909-41F2-A56D-FBAC5D7BBD0A.jpeg

Thanks for this info Mr 1 to 1 scale. Very valuable.

I would like to ask.. you were having doubts about the mods you'd made to your bulkhead behind the cockpit. Is the bulkhead as pictured above now the final correct solution? If so, I think I'll copy you if you dont mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

Thanks for this info Mr 1 to 1 scale. Very valuable.

I would like to ask.. you were having doubts about the mods you'd made to your bulkhead behind the cockpit. Is the bulkhead as pictured above now the final correct solution? If so, I think I'll copy you if you dont mind.

Nige. 

Yes, I made a few changes before I settled on this one. Most of the photos have an open bulkhead with two supports at the doorway, then a piece of plywood behind the pilot's seat to mount the oxygen bottles on. On the radio operator's side, there were a couple supports added for the fold up table, and some switches. I have found that there are five different possible radio operator positions on the B-24, this one, and the late one over the bomb bay behind the wing were the two most common. I also believe the bulkhead that HB depicted was from a museum aircraft that was restored, and they added a couple sheets of plywood to make the bulkhead during restoration. 

I also cut the seats out, and I will mount them farther forward, and will add some channel to the floor for the seat tracks. I have the Airscale IP for the cockpit, Since my mods for the nose weight are in place, I am going to keep them. I will definitely use sheet on the next B-24D I build.

Super accuracy for a particular plane is not an issue as I am building a fictional plane named after my wife, from the Jolly Rogers in the Pacific. I have yet to decide if it will be OD or Bare metal. Progress had stalled because I was waiting on IP, gear legs, masks, and still hoping for some updated turrets, but if I don't hear anything, I will probably start engineering a solution myself.

B-24J (restored), I believe this is wrong and added during the restoration. 

DSC_0448 B-24J N224J Witchcraft interior naviator station l.jpg

This is the "late" J, over the bay station, I am not sure, but i think this was more common on late J's over Europe.

late J over wing.jpg

This is a D, but this open design carried through with the J's through mid production. 

open bulkhead j.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Nige and 1to1 

There is a gentleman on Ebay selling replacement turrets Emerson and Consolidated. They are resin bases with vacuum glass parts. He's selling them for around $15.00 US. They look ok they are 1 piece clear domes. They may not be perfect but for $15.00 they maybe good to scratch build into something that maybe just right. Here are some pictures of them.

20190318_111421.jpgConsolidated 

20190318_111446.jpg

Emerson 

• Like 3

hi,

if the 109ace vac turrets are usuable, then wonderful, but if not, there may another option...

not sure if this has been mentioned already, but there is an aftermarket company which has indicated it is looking at making replacement turrets in clear resin

nothing confirmed or pics to show as yet, but it's someone I know and trust - once there is something to show you will see it

cheers

Nick

• Like 2

I started working on my turrets a few days ago. I have started by making a simple Vac buck. I am going to try and pull a few with different thicknesses of plastic as one whole piece, and see if I need to break it down to a few pieces or not.

14528BC5-8F0E-42B6-B970-5BA0C5A74793.jpeg

C2B90E40-5E81-44D1-A763-2D740DD235D2.jpeg

6B0950ED-0145-4CF2-BF32-B499FC59365A.jpeg

• Like 6

On 3/19/2019 at 5:24 AM, [CAT]CplSlade said:

It's 109ace from LSP who is making these.

Not anymore he's not...

IMG_20190328_175042.thumb.jpg.2f864db59669050de73a798160f3f223.jpg

Well, not from LSP anymore at least. Atmosphere a little toxic over there lately, I'm sure things weren't helped by The Koala chiming in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

Not anymore he's not...

Well, not from LSP anymore at least. Atmosphere a little toxic over there lately, I'm sure things weren't helped by The Koala chiming in.

That forum has been toxic for a looong time. Much friendlier over here.

Just my 2p...

• Like 3

22 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Well said Nige

You can get his turrets off of Ebay.

Ron G 

Ron,

I will not comment on the Ebay turrets but I will say there are resin replacements on the way. I've been approached by someone out there who is currently working on corrected and seamless clear resin parts to replace the kit parts.

As we all know, the guns are too close together and the cheeks are all wrong on the nose turret, the framing on the top turret is incorrect and there are issues with the rear turret shape too I believe? This will all be corrected as far as I know?

Watch this space, my YT channel and keep your ear to the ground.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

Ron,

I will not comment on the Ebay turrets but I will say there are resin replacements on the way. I've been approached by someone out there who is currently working on corrected and seamless clear resin parts to replace the kit parts.

As we all know, the guns are too close together and the cheeks are all wrong on the nose turret, the framing on the top turret is incorrect and there are issues with the rear turret shape too I believe? This will all be corrected as far as I know?

Watch this space, my YT channel and keep your ear to the ground.....

I'm sure they will come out just as I finish mine. The turrets I am working on will retain the shape, but will have seams in all the right palces, and have internal framework, as well as re-worked interior. However, I may just make the Vac transparencies if there really is a nice set of resin turrets coming out.

So far I am the AM's best customer for the B-24. I bought the Resin wheels, radios, oxygen bottles, and guns. I also bought a few sets of DN masks, Airscale panel, and I probably bought every B-24 book published!

Nige, any hint of how long we are looking for them? 1 month, 6, a year? I am itching to give someone more money for a good turret. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 5:19 AM, Wumm said:

Not anymore he's not...

Tell me about it !!.......harv

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I'm sure they will come out just as I finish mine. The turrets I am working on will retain the shape, but will have seams in all the right palces, and have internal framework, as well as re-worked interior. However, I may just make the Vac transparencies if there really is a nice set of resin turrets coming out.

So far I am the AM's best customer for the B-24. I bought the Resin wheels, radios, oxygen bottles, and guns. I also bought a few sets of DN masks, Airscale panel, and I probably bought every B-24 book published!

Nige, any hint of how long we are looking for them? 1 month, 6, a year? I am itching to give someone more money for a good turret. 

I think we are talking weeks rather than months..

• Like 2