The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Straight out of the showroom, very tidy work……..

Yes, this will probably not have much in the way of weathering. I may add a little

dust on the lower chassis and tracks. The Cuban tanks did not see much use prior

to the revolution. This one was based in the town of Santa Clara . Because I display

my tanks on a shelve or on a coffee table I don't see heavy weathering as making too

much sense ....if displayed in the context of a diorama, well, that would be different.

I think of my models as sort of recognition models. Only to display to show a certain type.

• Like 4

Thinking of doing the Tamiya Marder III next.......

One of the options is winter camouflage over grey...My question is what's

the best way to tackle this? Can the white be simply over- sprayed with an airbrush

Over the gray in kind of a mottled finish? Is it hand brushed? What do you guys do?

I want to do something different with this....either winter or the German 3 tone

camouflage. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks;

Paul

IMG_20220826_152253_kindlephoto-64831994.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

One of the options is winter camouflage over grey...My question is what's

the best way to tackle this? Can the white be simply over- sprayed with an airbrush

I have to admit, I've never done a winter camo, but have lots of kits which I will paint in winter outfit. The method of application was different, either by brush or airbrush, but mostly after the rollout, I guess.
I would try hairspray / chipping technique. Finish the underlying camo, apply chipping fluid / hairspray, than different shades of white, dense mottled on with the airbrush and then remove some of the whit paint with different abrasive tools on the dampened surface.
Another option is the salt technique and there are washable colors available from AK for example. I have some of these, but never tried them.

BTW. Nice looking Stuart, Paul.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I have to admit, I've never done a winter camo, but have lots of kits which I will paint in winter outfit. The method of application was different, either by brush or airbrush, but mostly after the rollout, I guess.
I would try hairspray / chipping technique. Finish the underlying camo, apply chipping fluid / hairspray, than different shades of white, dense mottled on with the airbrush and then remove some of the whit paint with different abrasive tools on the dampened surface.
Another option is the salt technique and there are washable colors available from AK for example. I have some of these, but never tried them.

BTW. Nice looking Stuart, Paul.

Cheers Rob

Thanks

• Like 2

Paul, I'd go with Rob's suggestion. I did the same Marder kit you have in dunkelgelb using the approach he outlined. 

IMG_20200713_155209-600x450.jpg

Probably could have weathered/chipped it more but I was happy with the results. 

IMG_20200713_155226-600x450.jpg

I think you'll enjoy the kit very much. 

Carl

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Paul, I'd go with Rob's suggestion. I did the same Marder kit you have in dunkelgelb using the approach he outlined. 

IMG_20200713_155209-600x450.jpg

Probably could have weathered/chipped it more but I was happy with the results. 

IMG_20200713_155226-600x450.jpg

I think you'll enjoy the kit very much. 

Carl

Thanks Carl. I looked at your build last night. Well done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 7/16/2022 at 1:57 PM, Bomber_County said:

This was an epic build Ernie, when was 2017 / 2018 ? I going to have to practice a lot on these figures………..

It was a long, long time ago, closer to 2014?   Way back when we all hung out on TOS.   It was a fun build, and I’d like to do another

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

It's time to finally break in the new BBQ. 

PXL_20220901_124731768.thumb.jpg.1c1f32c087691bcb22bda64a57a40928.jpg

15 lb brisket for a family get together later today. 

It just fits...

PXL_20220901_125053319.thumb.jpg.fdf2e49ea2dad1fd30ec4d39dd3d5d2b.jpg

Later today?  Don’t you mean tomorrow?  I’ve been reading up on smoking a brisket since us South Carolina guys spend all our life smoking pork.  But my plan is to do one at 210-225 degrees until internal temps hit 203-205 then toss in an empty cooler and let it rest for 4 hours. I’ve been told to expect about 24 hours total time at those temps. Low and slow! 
What’s your tricks?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Later today?  Don’t you mean tomorrow?  I’ve been reading up on smoking a brisket since us South Carolina guys spend all our life smoking pork.  But my plan is to do one at 210-225 degrees until internal temps hit 203-205 then toss in an empty cooler and let it rest for 4 hours. I’ve been told to expect about 24 hours total time at those temps. Low and slow! 
What’s your tricks?

I started the Egg this morning at 830. It's been on since then. 

PXL_20220901_175437311_MP.thumb.jpg.2a3769d7ec6731c523a1eeb52a364980.jpg

A nice steady 225° like you said. Here's where I am after 5 1/2 hours. Another 4 to go so not quite 10 hours. 

PXL_20220901_175443875.thumb.jpg.9a03bff7780ac201df7dc899a57bce62.jpg

For brisket and most other big cuts of meat, I like to brine them for at least 24 and preferably 48 hours. That helps to keep it moist. 

Here's the brine recipe I use:

- 2 tablespoon brown sugar

- 3 tablespoon kosher salt 

- 2 tablespoon maple syrup 

- 2 tablespoon Chivas or other whiskey/bourbon 

- 2 cups water

If I'm really in a rush, I'll wrap it in foil for a couple hours first. That'll speed things up but you don't get as deep a smoke flavour or colour. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Finally I bought a ZM Rai Den kit. Been meaning to forever, but finally did. 
I managed to goober up the paint on my Hasegawa build, so rather than attempting to strip and repaint it, here I am…. Didn’t throw the Hasegawa away, though. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I started the Egg this morning at 830. It's been on since then. 

You'll love the egg Carl. Bought one last year and use it a lot for meat, fish and pizza and baking bread. Yes it's perfectly suited for pizza with dry heat, best I had home made. Today we will have some solomillo, that's beef fillet along with baked potatoes and home made sour cream and with the dying heat, I smoke some salmon, while adding chips of beech tree for the aroma. Sometimes, I add a little dried fig wood to enhance the taste of beef with it's aromatic smoke. Well, I'm getting hungry, I have to feed my egg, to feed me :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 2