The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

12 hours ago, AlanG said:

The mojo hadn't left me today so after coming in from the farm i had a few hours playing with it again.

Posts, gate and fence finished :)

Very nice and beautiful rendered. The wood looks the part and your work on plants and hedges is sublime.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been working on this little Tamiya panzer 38(t) shown here in primer.

The kit goes together well, fit being excellent. The tracks are link and length. I built

them while the fenders were off the tank divided in two lengths so that I could paint

them separately. I then glued the fenders in place. With a little effort I can add the tracks

with the fenders now in place ( I've tried it). The only misshap was that I broke off a small

antenna thing off the glacis plate while working on the tracks. I tried gluing this back

on after a lengthy search for it but I messed it up so much that I decided to leave it off. Update: I've since learned that what I thought was an antenna is

said to be the "driver's machine gun sight" although I can't see how this was

used given it's location.

DSCN0647_kindlephoto-28026873.jpg

DSCN0648_1_kindlephoto-27968893.jpg

DSCN0651_kindlephoto-29390783.jpg

DSCN0652_kindlephoto-32357460.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Yes it is, they added aluminium barrel and photo etched mesh, not bad for a kit that is almost 50 years old. but if you like the 222, get the Hobbyboss. 

Turned out nice. Coincidentally, I've been looking at the Hobby boss and Tamiya kits

Of this vehicle this week and downloading the instructions from Scalemates. The

Hobby Boss kits look pretty good with detailed engine and chassis. I decided on the Tamiya M3 Stuart this week which came today. 

• Like 3

On 6/19/2022 at 10:11 PM, AlanG said:

Been painting some squiggles on my 1:48 He111- H22 this afternoon. My eyes are shot to bits lol

IMG_2556.JPG

I liked it.  How did you get that opacity with the squiggles?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Thanks, that's correct, I was trying to see how it works with AK acrylics , it doesn't  LOL

I've only done it with Tamiya acrylics.  But at first i thought it wasn't working right.  Worked a lot better with multiple light coats.  When I tried first, with a nice covering coat, the chips came off huge and ugly after trying hard to get them off.  With multiple thin coats, the results were a lot easier to accept.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Thanks, that's correct, I was trying to see how it works with AK acrylics , it doesn't  LOL

I used the hairspray technique on some builds and it always worked fine with me. In case of the floats of my Hansa Brandenburg, I used it even multi layered, with a base coat of aluminum from AK's Extreme metal range, than hairspray, Tamiya semi gloss black, hairspray again and last Tamiya flat black for the tar like appearance.
The idea was to show deep scratches in metal and abrasion of the matte black color a bit shinier. I liked the result, which was achieved using different tools for abrasion, from brushes to cotton swabs sanding sponges and rubber erasers.

IMG_7591.thumb.JPG.a1482bfd956bf107de101fb778d7ee4f.JPG

Finally weathered up with salt and algae they looked like this.

P1150910.thumb.JPG.81a8511cd7279c0e86de855dad920ca3.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I used the hairspray technique on some builds and it always worked fine with me. In case of the floats of my Hansa Brandenburg, I used it even multi layered, with a base coat of aluminum from AK's Extreme metal range, than hairspray, Tamiya semi gloss black, hairspray again and last Tamiya flat black for the tar like appearance.
The idea was to show deep scratches in metal and abrasion of the matte black color a bit shinier. I liked the result, which was achieved using different tools for abrasion, from brushes to cotton swabs sanding sponges and rubber erasers.

IMG_7591.thumb.JPG.a1482bfd956bf107de101fb778d7ee4f.JPG

Finally weathered up with salt and algae they looked like this.

P1150910.thumb.JPG.81a8511cd7279c0e86de855dad920ca3.JPG

Cheers Rob

Those floats remind me of my Shelf of Doom queen. An Aichi Hansa (a HB W29, built under licence in Japan, with a Hispano engine), that I started in 2008, before WingNut Wings existed ;) . It’s still waiting for me to finish it …

Hubert

• Like 5