The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

After a lengthy error strewn build I finally finished (nearly) my PCM Spitfire IX, it just needs the IFF wires and exhaust staining but I've put it in the cabinet so I cannot make any more mistakes while handling it.

It is a great kit and all the problems were of my own making.

pp9bWM.jpg

pyCrUY.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Still working on my Israeli M51 Tamiya 1/35...........

Today 'been working on painting the road wheels... Did twelve today.

First, they were painted with a Tamiya Lacquer spray can....overall In Nato black (TS-63).

This paint holds up well when masking...much better than Tamiya's acrylic. Next, I used

my DSPIAE circle cutter to cut 24 holes in a sheet of adhesive-backed vinyl . then cut

around these holes to make masks. Applying them to the road wheels.... Well, that was

a little tricky at first, but then I got the hang of it. It seems to have worked well. The wheels turned out nice. Well, twelve more to go. I'll do this tonight..when I return home

from my visit to my Mom's. The circle cutter worked well.....but I did mess up my table...

..lots of little circles scribed on it now. I have a sheet of glass that I normally use...but

somehow, I forgot to use it.....Duh!

DSCN0943.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

Still working on my Israeli M51 Tamiya 1/35...........

Today 'been working on painting the road wheels... Did twelve today.

First, they were painted with a Tamiya Lacquer spray can....overall In Nato black (TS-63).

This paint holds up well when masking...much better than Tamiya's acrylic. Next, I used

my DSPIAE circle cutter to cut 24 holes in a sheet of adhesive-backed vinyl . then cut

around these holes to make masks. Applying them to the road wheels.... Well, that was

a little tricky at first, but then I got the hang of it. It seems to have worked well. The wheels turned out nice. Well, twelve more to go. I'll do this tonight..when I return home

from my visit to my Mom's. The circle cutter worked well.....but I did mess up my table...

..lots of little circles scribed on it now. I have a sheet of glass that I normally use...but

somehow, I forgot to use it.....Duh!

DSCN0943.JPG

Ok, the DSPIAE circle cutter is now something I can’t live without.  Never seen this before. You just cost me $60. 

I’ll thank you later after I use it for the first time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Ok, the DSPIAE circle cutter is now something I can’t live without.  Never seen this before. You just cost me $60. 

Well, I hope your experiences with the cutter are good...In my case...with these wheels. Mine proved very useful .The best thing is to watch the YouTube videos how to use it.

Basically, you measure the circle you want to cut...and set the cutter to half

that size..then when you cut your circle it will be the right size.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Scott, if you do get one, make sure to get the locator too. This way you can cut concentric circles and have them centred. Perfect for roundels.

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/jg4hhevbn79lkrjrdjzp.html

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Spitfire said:

After a lengthy error strewn build I finally finished (nearly) my PCM Spitfire IX, it just needs the IFF wires and exhaust staining but I've put it in the cabinet so I cannot make any more mistakes while handling it.

It is a great kit and all the problems were of my own making.

pp9bWM.jpg

pyCrUY.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis

Absolutely stellar work on your Spit IX - gorgeous work and finish

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Scott 

Bought one a few months a ago and all I've managed to do so far is watch a few videos on how to use it. Quality doesn't cone close and I'm hoping to finally get it into action over the winter months building sessions.

Looks like my next purchase will be the Locartor. - should have bought both together. 

• Like 3

If there is anybody interested , you can have it, or landfill. So done with birdcage, I though I would give it a go again and finish it after 6 years or so , but no, there is nothing, literally I have 0 desire to work on it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, Spitfire said:

It is a great kit and all the problems were of my own 

Very very nice Dennis, only ever done the 24th 1A, I was very young. So the question is going to be, in 32nd Kotare, Tamiya or PCM?……

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

If there is anybody interested , you can have it, or landfill. So done with birdcage, I though I would give it a go again and finish it after 6 years or so , but no, there is nothing, literally I have 0 desire to work on it.  

Mines been on the SOD as well for too long but I’ve never binned a kit…..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Very very nice Dennis, only ever done the 24th 1A, I was very young. So the question is going to be, in 32nd Kotare, Tamiya or PCM?……

I don't think that the PCM is in the same class as the other two, though it was the first IM Spitfire Mk.IX, hence I snapped one up as soon as they were released way back when and it deserved to be built, but if the Tamiya kit had been around in those days I would have bought one in a flash.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Oh, I know that feeling Martin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Interesting question. The PCM and Tamiya are both later variants, either VIII, IX or XVI so that's one thing to consider. The Kotare at the moment is an unknown quantity as it's not out yet but will most certainly be the most accurate early model Spitfire. 

The PCM isn't bad but at this point, if you're looking for a late model Spitfire then it's the Tamiya kit. 

• Like 5

OK, new day, new idea. I ordered a new decal sheet for the Birdcage.

Yesterday, after applying number of layers Ive realized that my insignia is of the wrong size and position. This particular plane had the hybrid marking with bars on the fuselage and early stars on the wings. I overpainted the wing, realizing that there's a visible demarkation in places where the insignia once was. I would have to sand it smooth yet sacrifice the paint job in the process. Might as well start with a new camouflage, this time , number.3 LOL

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

OK, new day, new idea. I ordered a new decal sheet for the Birdcage.

Yesterday, after applying number of layers Ive realized that my insignia is of the wrong size and position. This particular plane had the hybrid marking with bars on the fuselage and early stars on the wings. I overpainted the wing, realizing that there's a visible demarkation in places where the insignia once was. I would have to sand it smooth yet sacrifice the paint job in the process. Might as well start with a new camouflage, this time , number.3 LOL

Glad to hear you're not giving up!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Anyone considering the new Airfix 1/24 Spit? Too big for me and I'm waiting for the Kotare Spit.

I've thought about it. One shop here  has it on pre-order for the same price as the Tamiya Spitfire IX. 

The stopper for me is that I have so many Tamiya Spitfires already it wouldn't fit in. 

• Like 3