The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

Just doing a little scratch detailing on my Me262 build. I am hoping to show off the engine a little. I've opened out the holes in the combustion chamber housing and added some old cable flex to simulate the combustion chambers themselves. You'll not see much when fitted but i'll know it's there :)

Compress_20230108_193600_0598.thumb.jpg.7069546e854b065db27d75b761659559.jpgCompress_20230108_193600_0093.thumb.jpg.d2e8bd1af985bc163efba363620854bd.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Since I’m always getting accused of having such a tidy bench in all my pics, I’m posting this pic. But I always tell everyone that all my pics are post build after clean up. 
Here’s proof!  
32F024A0-C8F7-48DB-94BA-EB10D2B51323.jpeg

I have 3 sets of instructions here. The kit, photo etch, and lighting kit.  And of course all the parts except the kit sprues put away. 
Oh, and the paint booth….

image.jpg

Yes. I’m a slob. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gary,

One thing I found out is that high-quality, thick, kitchen foil, works better for compound curves. The thicker, the better, because it can thus stretch when burnished.

I also found that The Micro Foil Adhesive can be diluted with alcohol, and will keep its qualities. The interest is to make it more fluid, and lay a thinner, self-levelling layer. I lay the glue on the plastic with a brush, and apply the foil where it’s needed without fearing of the foil adhering to unwanted places, nor glue « ridges » because it’s too thick.

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Gary,

One thing I found out is that high-quality, thick, kitchen foil, works better for compound curves. The thicker, the better, because it can thus stretch when burnished.

I also found that The Micro Foil Adhesive can be diluted with alcohol, and will keep its qualities. The interest is to make it more fluid, and lay a thinner, self-levelling layer. I lay the glue on the plastic with a brush, and apply the foil where it’s needed without fearing of the foil adhering to unwanted places, nor glue « ridges » because it’s too thick.

Hubert

Never done that i have to try with the alcohol

Thanks for the tip

Mark

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

More foil.  Only four panels....

It took over 2 and ahalf hours...   and I had to cheat the leading edge panels.  So ashamed.

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

Gaz

Looks fantastic but 2.5 hours - nothing speedy about this technique but the results are well worth the work and time 👍 

18 hours ago, HubertB said:

Gary,

Hubert

Thanks for the tip, Hubert.  I’ll see if I can find some.  But unlike Reynolds Wrap in the US, nobody here in  Australia is trying to sell high quality aluminium foil.  And the stuff from China has names attesting to qualities it just doesn’t have.

l have some aluminium for roof flashing….  But it is far too thick for this job.

• Sad 1

Very nice Tojo, Gary.

If I may, your pics got me wondering, and I then checked period pics, but the angle of the MLG looks weird, unless the kit felt itself suddenly with weak knees in the warm Australian sun ;)

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, harv said:

Wow my friend ! Awesomsauce.....harv 🏆

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Right with Harv - terrific build and finish

54 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Very nice Tojo, Gary.

If I may, your pics got me wondering, and I then checked period pics, but the angle of the MLG looks weird, unless the kit felt itself suddenly with weak knees in the warm Australian sun ;)

Hubert

Thank you, fellas.  Hubert...   it's an old kit, and I didn't research it very much.  So, it may very well have issues.  I bought it at a time when I was looking for cheap kits to foil, and I got it for 8 bucks...   Australian bucks.  This was shortly after my return to the hobby...  after a 35 year hiatus.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Mark

Terrific choice and I'm all in for the journey. :popcorn:

14 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Definitely Mark, never seen a build of this…..

Thanks now on the hunt for good pics because the kh instructions are crap for color call outs.(iff there are any colors on)

Mark

• Like 6