The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

Yesterday, I tried to earn some experiences, working with white metal. I took the exhaust parts, which will be finished in a chrome look from my Model Factory Hiro kit of the 1/9 scale Crocker and first got rid off the the parting lines with sanding sticks and drilled out the connecting holes..

The parts looked like this, then;

P1011384.thumb.JPG.0ed834d7a94b2a73cb25df3d1e7d19a0.JPG

Then I used a rotary tumbler to refine the surfaces and clean the parts. In the hexagonal plexiglass cylinder are steel balls of 1 mm diameter, some drops of detergent and water.

P1011387.thumb.JPG.12bad1e5b1331dcd946ba9eb888ffe48.JPG

After about half an hour the parts looked like this.
The good, the parts are clean, shiny and evenly refined The treatment ´hardens´ the surface a bit.
The bad, you can see spots, where the balls couldn´t reach the surface in crevices or narrow angles and around details. Very fine details like heads of screws got rounded a bit.
I guess that´s the reason, many cast metal builder use magnetic polishing tumblers, where tiny steel pins rotate in the water bath cleaning the parts. I hope, I can lay my hand on one of these soon.

P1011389.thumb.JPG.9e24f2a99cd38310bedda997db574ab6.JPG

Finally, I wanted to try some polish on the parts, using the famous (at least in Germany) Autosol polish on the exhausts. I didn´t want to go all the way to a mirror sheen finish, as this will need some better preparation, I just wanted to get a feeling.

P1011393.thumb.JPG.5f6b14dba1094b3947fa9f2b161afae2.JPG

P1011397.thumb.JPG.e1e0ead061c7bdd8da612978ae6c93a7.JPG

Verdict, it seems possible to polish white metal parts to look like chrome. The rotating tumbler should only be used with not too detailed parts. My guess is, a magnetic tumbler polisher is best to prepare the white metal parts for painting or polishing.

Cheers Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Yesterday, I tried to earn some experiences, working with white metal. I took the exhaust parts, which will be finished in a chrome look from my Model Factory Hiro kit of the 1/9 scale Crocker and first got rid off the the parting lines with sanding sticks and drilled out the connecting holes..

Then I used a rotary tumbler to refine the surfaces and clean the parts. In the hexagonal plexiglass cylinder are steel balls of 1 mm diameter, some drops of detergent and water.

The good, the parts are clean, shiny and evenly refined The treatment ´hardens´ the surface a bit.
The bad, you can see spots, where the balls couldn´t reach the surface in crevices or narrow angles and around details. Very fine details like heads of screws got rounded a bit.
I guess that´s the reason, many cast metal builder use magnetic polishing tumblers, where tiny steel pins rotate in the water bath cleaning the parts. I hope, I can lay my hand on one of these soon.

Finally, I wanted to try some polish on the parts, using the famous (at least in Germany) Autosol polish on the exhausts. I didn´t want to go all the way to a mirror sheen finish, as this will need some better preparation, I just wanted to get a feeling.

Verdict, it seems possible to polish white metal parts to look like chrome. The rotating tumbler should only be used with not too detailed parts. My guess is, a magnetic tumbler polisher is best to prepare the white metal parts for painting or polishing.

Cheers Rob

Looking good Rob, I use AutoSol all the time especially when cleaning airbrush needles. It cleans and polishes very well indeed…..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Rob

Quite the experiment and learning experience. The exhaust headers do look really good. Surely seems that when getting into kits with a lot of white metal and cast parts the magnetic tumbler polisher is the way to go. Just out of curiosity with shipping, it is an expensive piece of equipment.? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Mark , that looks like a million dollars. 

I picked this 1/35 V-1 yesterday, super fast build for fun. 

IMG_3406.jpeg

Martin

Looking mighty good and nothing like a quick build to keep the juices going.

:construction:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Just out of curiosity with shipping, it is an expensive piece of equipment.? 

You can get them for about 150 Euro with free shipping, but it depends where you live. I found a vendor, who ships it for 30 Euros to my place. Others claimed they do, but then refused. Fingers crossed with the actual one, it´s not on it´s way now.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

yVFtpH2.jpg

F-111A Cockpit from Reskit in the works. Just dry fitting. This is sitting at the bench in Winnipeg whilst I'm enjoying a damp afternoon in Lafayette, LA... Short notice sim training, but headed back home tomorrow.

CHeers!

• Like 9

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing on the bench.  

IMG_1757.thumb.jpeg.626e28a1e7c583c7e4cf7d8f6aa07787.jpeg

Just finished cleaning up after the He 111.  Now it’s decision time.  
Stuka?

Cutlass?

Me 262?

A surprise from the stash??  Been itching to do that A-7D Corsair with the Zacto correction. Or the Crusader….hmmmmm…

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing on the bench.  

IMG_1757.thumb.jpeg.626e28a1e7c583c7e4cf7d8f6aa07787.jpeg

Just finished cleaning up after the He 111.  Now it’s decision time.  
Stuka?

Cutlass?

Me 262?

A surprise from the stash??  Been itching to do that A-7D Corsair with the Zacto correction. Or the Crusader….hmmmmm…

My vote is for Vought !

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Scott, WWAYYYY too clean!!!

I'm embarrassed to say this is MY current mess.

PXL_20240501_004710563_PANO.thumb.jpg.cd551991bec0c5a127942d8f4db28c0a.jpg

Chris

Yikes, close to a record for sure.:hsmack:

Seems to be two types of builders on the forum:

Those with neat clean benches throughout a build

Those with just the opposite.

We should have a forum pole as to who falls into which group.

:rofl:

• Like 3