The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Mounted - Or Down and Dirty

GazzaS

Most planes look so much better flying than sitting on the ground.  Especially planes that are noted for speed.  So, I'm considering mounting my MiG on a base of some sort.

What do you guys prefer?

Any good examples?

Gaz

• Like 1

A MiG-25PDS in its natural (terrestrial) habitat...sitting on pre-fabricated PAG-14 concrete slabs.
Can be easily replicated with sheet styrene or some heavier grade cardboard.

There's an Aussie (?) supplier offering printed soviet airfield pavements. The company's name is currently escaping my mind, though...

BlQJTbA.jpg

Concrete slabs everywhere...
xMF0peQ.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Clunkmeister said:

An in flight display with a Sidewinder posed 1 millisecond outside the tailpipe would be cool.

And prototypical. :)

Haha...  funny!  I was more thinking in flight with one of it's missiles just dropped prior to ignition...  Or do they slide off the rail hot?

Gaz

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

The missiles come off hot.

Here you go: 
NOY'S MINIATURES 1/48 Airfield Tarmac Sheet: Soviet Large PAG-14 Hardstand

Printed.
For sissies...  Cool Wink emote

Thanks!  If I do put it on the ground, I'd have tried to make my own.   Though I have other temptations....

Gaz

• Like 2

agree with you some planes look better in flight, eg for me - F104, WW2 typhoon/tempest, EE lightning, XB70 etc. However, I also think some planes look good on the ground including the Mig 25. Mean and moody, hunkered down ready to pounce for me also includes phantom, A10, A6, etc.

If it was me, it would be wheels down.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, npb748r said:

agree with you some planes look better in flight, eg for me - F104, WW2 typhoon/tempest, EE lightning, XB70 etc. However, I also think some planes look good on the ground including the Mig 25. Mean and moody, hunkered down ready to pounce for me also includes phantom, A10, A6, etc.

If it was me, it would be wheels down.

For inflight, you forgot the F-111 and Su-24.

• Like 2

• Members

I like mine grounded.  I like to pose them as if a they were being photographed at ground level by a 1/32 photographer.  If I ever become a decent figure painter I'll start posing pilots and ground crew next to them too.

• Like 2

Thank you for your inputs, fellas! 

The sudden realization that I don't have a pilot to put in the cockpit means my MiG-25 will have to be down and dirty.   I had a cool idea for a flying-aircraft's base, but I'll have to save that for another Soviet aircraft.

Gaz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Gaz I have a resin figure of Warsaw part pilot if you're interested to spice it up a little?

plus-model-1-48-warsaw-pact-pilot-resin-.

That's very kind of you, Martin!  Honestly, I wanna be a diorama guy...  but most of the time my interest fades pretty fast once the kit is ready.  I have a bunch of figs for armor that I keep consistently putting off.  That was another reason I was thinking of making a base for an in-flight model.

If I do put this MiG on a base, it'll be pretty simple.

Thank you kindly for your offer,

Gaz

• Like 1