The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

47 minutes ago, lancinflight said:

Yes, it looks to be the exhaust of the rear APU, also with a drain coming out the bottom

5OCiO9z.jpgShow Reply

Haha! Jet guy's crazy brain guessed correct for once.  That makes up for the infamous Felixstowe bleed air curfufel....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

So, drill a shallow hole and paint a black triangle. Simple dimple. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

No fairing? 

Not to be difficult!

• Like 1

• Administrators

So,... guess what happens when you get lazy?   So now, instead of spending the day I had slotted in for applying decals actually applying decals, I get to spend half of it fixing some poor prep work.   All I can think is that I was concentrating so much on the NMF areas, I missed a single area on the bottom.   The top stripes are flawless, and the NMF is perfect, so we just pull back the bottom, wipe it down better, reprime  and respray.  And yes, they’re the same size, just the camera distortion.

Otherwise, I’m feeling quite chuffed.

F0C5C526-401F-4C3B-BD20-6AC90A983206.jpeg

8D8225B8-7A47-477B-B345-FF13A038EBBD.jpeg

• Like 9

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, FME erk said:

All paint work chips on real aircraft so dont beat yourself up to much :D

I thought that too, but this might be a bit much. The grey area I might have just made it look like a field repair, but I need the orange to be straight and clean.

Out of desperation I used some CA and kicker to handle a stubborn bomb Bay Area. Afterwords I gave it a cursory wipedown and micro sanding on the outside.  I think I’m going to find kicker fluid residue under the grey paint

• Like 4

• Administrators

Ok folks, I decided to not attempt to patch in a high visability color like Day Glow Orange, so I stripped it all back, reprimed it in white and this time, shot the blue bands first. Next up is the Orange, then careful edge masking and touch up the Voodoo Grey on the belly. Anything I can do to minimize potential pitfalls by keeping tape off the orange is OK by me. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:15 AM, Bill_S said:

It's looking great, Ernie! I think you've used FS12197 International Orange. I had to pick up a bottle for my 1/72 USS Scorpion.

I believe so, Bill, yes. I'll verify it tonight, but I do know I wanted an FS color, as I was pretty certain they wouldn't have just grabbed any old paint can out of the paint locker to do the job. 

I found out something I didn't know, though. There is an FS color for High Visability orange, and there is another FS color for flourescent red orange, which is somewhat redder and is what I use on my early USN T-28s.  Who knew? Certainly not I, that's for sure. I, like many, I'm sure, seem to pay more attention to the mysteries of RAL and RLM tinting than we do the stuff in our own backyard.

There is a bit more head scratching going on here as well.  I know there is absolutely NO question as to the shade on the fuselage band, but the wing tips and elevators? That's another story. The shades seem to match in the period pics, but in others, the wingtips and stabilizers seem decidedly red.

The spinners are definitely red, as they certainly don't match anything else.  For such a well documented aircraft, there sure isn't many period detail pics out there. And that's half the fun, right?

I've also read where the areas around the nacelles were often painted light grey, not left in NMF. Apparently to facilitate clean up after long patrols, I expect. I've seen them both ways, but for visual interest, I think I'll add the grey to break up those massive surface areas of aluminum. 

And for the distinctive walkways, I'll be masking and painting those as well.   If I had the printer and software I needed, I'd even make masks for the big numbers on the bottom of the wing. I LOVE the look of painted numbers.  But, one of the goals of this build is to showcase the work of those many individual and companies that have developed new products specifically for this build, and to show what can be done relatively quickly with a decent basic kit and a bit of passion and vision.

We have so far:

1. A new RCAF decal package now available from Belcher Bits made specifically for guys like us that features not only a postwar bird, but also three notable Lanc Mk.X's that give us, with the HK kit, the freedom to create these icons of RCAF lore.

2. The possibility of the main bits needed for converting the Lanc X into a MR or SAR bird coming available in the future

3. The distinct possibility of some specially designed postwar block tread Lancaster wheels and tyres being developed and possibly released in the future.

4. Airscale's superlative cockpit set that's absolutely a required item for not just this, but ANY 1/32 Lanc build. It wasn't developed for my specific build, but you better believe I'll sing the panel's, Airscale's, and Peter Castle's praises to the High, Holy Heavens y'all.

I'm a bit premature here, but I just have to say that the support for this project has been overwhelming, and I just hope I can come through on time and do it justice.

• Like 1

Ernie, for your detailed questions about the markings and different colors etc, I can HIGHLY recommend the Books from Patrick Martin, here, I have all of them and yeah a little bit pricey, BUT they are the DEFINITIVE bible on Canadian aircraft markings, I am into them ALL the time, extremely well worth every penny invested, they will answer every question you can think of and backed up by photographic evidence.....

http://www.martinslides.com

Click on the 'book' icon..... seriously dude these are fabulous....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

KB700 Ruhr Express

The very first Mk.X, and pretty much identical to the Brit built machines, except for US and Canadian suppliers, fasteners, instruments, etc

And Packard's too ?  Hope that is of some use, maybe just some FYI and interesting pics, glad you like...

• Like 1