The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators

Alright, an old 109 airframe took the brunt of my test shots, and I was happy enough to give it a go on the Lanc. 

MMP aluminum with a light misting with MMP chrome after the fact. 

The aluminum over grey gives a nice High Speed Silber appearance, and the light mist of chrome gives the bare metal look.  Not too shiny, but not a painted look, either. After a dull oat and a bit of weathering, it’ll look the part. 

I purposely tried not to make it super smooth  the aircraft were pretty used in the 1960s, with all kinds of warts and bumps.

This is a MAJOR milestone for me. Now I’ll give it time to set, hit it with the coffee filter and maybe a dryer sheet to knock off any fuzz, then mask and paint the rest. I hope to have some decals on her by next weekend. Then on to the wings. Block tread wheels hopefully are coming, and then we be home free.

A48267CF-8C1E-415B-8869-F3D0989061DC.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2019 at 8:08 PM, Clunkmeister said:

It’s great to have you back, man. Seriously!  

Now build something and show us that magic, man!

Thanks Ern, It's great to be back! Not sure about any magic but I should be able to muster up some mediocrity ;)

• Like 5

• Administrators
Just now, sluggo said:

Thanks Ern, It's great to be back! Not sure about any magic but I should be able to muster up some mediocrity ;)

Same as the rest of us, my friend. I’m still grinnin’ from ear to ear that you’re back!  Hoorah!

• Like 4

Great progress Ernie. The silver looks good and glad to hear it passed the tape test. 

23 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The tape test was successful, so tomorrow, I dig into my special stash of these, and paint the fuselage underside

Mwahahaaaa!

I bought up every bottle I could find after MM discontinued the color

31E1D771-EAFB-408B-97AC-94FAEF8A8C34.jpeg

If you run out of the MM stuff, this might be another option for you.

IMG_20190624_231054-L.jpg

Carl

• Like 3

• Administrators

OK, a slight minor two minute last ditch modification.   (Translation into LSMish: a Contributor noticed something I missed.) 

The thingamadorfer on the portside bomb bay doubler had to go. FM104 didn’t have it, so, out with the magic #11, trim trim trim, and stuff the hole full of Apoxie.  Total collateral damage is a couple chips on the aluminum overspray that’ll be covered in Voodoo grey in a couple days.

Has anyone else had any issues with Apoxie Sculpt? It doesn’t seem to want to harden at all, even after a month.  I mean, good grief, I’ve already used almost all of it and it’s still soft.  Maybe I’ll have better luck with the second container of the stuff they give. I dunno, but it’s maddening.

26BC46EA-6045-44CF-85C8-1B815947FE98.jpeg

2EEBC677-2017-4844-B4CC-D3B6CDA39565.jpeg

• Like 5

Ernie,

Pardon me if I misunderstood what you wrote about Apoxie Sculpt.  If I understand what you've written, you've only used half of the two-part mixture?  One part will have hardener just like Bondo.

Gaz

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I haven't had this trouble with A-Sculpt Clunk, damn models...its little things like this that keep us on our toes. Is it super glue time?

Ryan

I’ve never used it either, Ryan. Decided to try it for a change.  

I used the stuff in the dark color container because it better matched my chosen grey. After several days, it’s as soft as it was when I put it on!  

Maybe I’ll have better luck with the other container they give, the white one, I dunno.  I’ll try the other container, the white one next.  

Maybe I missed something? I’m getting old, you know. And being in Texas an’all, sun baked bald head, wind whipped face, probably sustained damage over the years....

:D:lol:

• Like 1