The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators

Tried a light coat of Alclad, and found that I need more prep in a few spots. 

I think, after getting sanctioned by the War Department, I’m going to switch to Mission Models metallics as well. 

The lower fuselage is a color known as ADF Grey, or more commonly known as “Canadian Voodoo Grey”. Luckily I stashed away a bunch of it after Testors eliminated the color.  Yes, I’m responsible for the Nationwide shortage a few years back. 

• Like 5

Not sure what to say in order not to repeat what was already said before. This is simply the most exciting Lancaster build out there. Front looks amazing , straight rivet lines, smooth surface. This meticulous policy will pay off once you coat it in NMF.  Joy to follow. :)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Not sure what to say in order not to repeat what was already said before. This is simply the most exciting Lancaster build out there. Front looks amazing , straight rivet lines, smooth surface. This meticulous policy will pay off once you coat it in NMF.  Joy to follow. :)

DITTO big guy !!.........harv

• Like 3

Hi Ernie,

Just discovered your 1/32 Lanc build. I'm impressed! I did a similar conversion in 48 scale using Leading Edge decals and the end result certainly looks a lot better than the common dark green, dark earth, night scheme. You might have mentioned it in one of the previous pages, but what are you going to use for decals??? The following is a shot of my 48th Lanc and pictures of the Lindholme  gear normally carried by RCAF SAR Lancs. The Lanc typically carried two sets of Lyndholme gear each consisting of five canisters (two small, one large and two small) linked together by a rope. The idea being the Lanc crew would drop a string of canisters and hopefully straddle those in need of rescue. I have a video of a training drop done in the Bay of Quinte near Trenton.

chCg3Qv.jpg

BA7J0oq.png

K17i8pY.png

oZWjCtD.jpg

• Like 6

Ernie,

I just discovered your build. I'm impressed! I undertook a similar build in 1/48 scale but had the advantage of having the Leading Edge decals. Might I ask what decals you will be using?

The following are shots of my Tamiya conversion plus some pictures of Lindholme gear normally carried on SAR Lancs and some interior MR schematics you might find useful.

chCg3Qv.jpg

oZWjCtD.jpg

BA7J0oq.png

K17i8pY.png

PxAIIDV.jpg

AlcB2rV.jpg

MDw1UN1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Exgonzo, thanks for those pics. I love it!  I had absolutely ZERO idea on the rescue gear. Thanks!   I am going in a slightly different configuration for the bomb bay, but still very similar to yours.  As you know, FM104 was quite involved in patrolling the blockade during the Cuban Missile Crisis, so I’ve taken a bit of a leap, and after much discussion, figured that the aircraft needed long loiter time. So, the front half of the bay will be taken up by a long range fuel tank.  I haven’t decided on what to put in the back half yet, however.

I think I’ve seen your build online, and was quite suitably impressed.  

Now, decals. I had talked to Mike Belcher and he went and redid his Mk.X set into 1/32.  I had originally just hoped for masks, but he went the whole mile. The set is currently available on his website.

I haven’t gone crazy on the interior, I know some will, but if you can’t see it, then why?  LOL. Just the cockpit mods and whatever is easily seen.

I’m currently deep into re riveting the port side behind the wing. I got a bit primer happy and lost some detail crispness. Rookie booboo and probably wouldn’t be noticed, but I know it was there, so I fix it. 

I’m a real Lanc fanatic and will hopefully be doing a couple more conversions.  The HK kit is a real nice, basic canvas for creativity.   TCA civil wartime courier Lancastrian, anyone? Stay tuned! And one or two other mystery versions down the line.

• Like 6

I wasn't aware of the Belcher's Bits Lanc sheet. A question - I don't have any reference photos of the decal's subject, but is the "RESCUE" sized as shown in the profile? If doing FM104, I suspect the "RESCUE" would be noticeably undersized. As for the long range bomb bay tank, I did have a schematic but it would appear to have been lost from my files. The interior schematics provided above are for the MR variant. Regarding the rear turret, as far as I know, only the guns were removed leaving the mounts and seat in place. The gun trough was of course 'skinned over'.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Well, I have the sheet and at first blush it's bloody brilliant!  It contains markings for several aircraft, including some wartime Mk.X's as well. The sheet is brand new and it was produced based upon the need shown by myself and I expect several others as well.   Mynarski's Lanc is there, as is Ruhr Express, and Xterminator.  I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who is interested in any specialty 1/32 items being released to buy the set, maybe even two sets.  

I can also tell you that there is the possibility of many exciting new AM accessories coming to create new and unique Lancs, many, but not all, being Mk.X's.  I personally have a list of at least four more I'd LIKE to build, along with an example of the WNW kit built box stock. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Grizly said:

I wasn't aware of the Belcher's Bits Lanc sheet. A question - I don't have any reference photos of the decal's subject, but is the "RESCUE" sized as shown in the profile? If doing FM104, I suspect the "RESCUE" would be noticeably undersized. As for the long range bomb bay tank, I did have a schematic but it would appear to have been lost from my files. The interior schematics provided above are for the MR variant. Regarding the rear turret, as far as I know, only the guns were removed leaving the mounts and seat in place. The gun trough was of course 'skinned over'.

Remember though that FM104 was an MR variant.   Matter of fact, FM104 spent the majority of it's career in the MR role, and transferred back and forth between MR and Rescue on occasion. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Well OK, first attempt with Mission Models.   Tried the primer....

Bloody‘ell the stuff is brilliant! And no odor!  Boscombe Down can now communicate with Whitehall in relative peace and not expect reprisal. 

EE3AE901-8417-458F-8722-8DF26887FABF.jpeg

1D3EED12-5796-4056-817D-D7677004C1B7.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, TJTX said:

I need to check out those paints.

Mail order only right now, Tony. They’re odorless.  I just wanted to try something different for my NM?f. Something a bit less “finicky”.  Dave Crosby convinced me to try them, so we’re off and we’ll see...

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 minute ago, GazzaS said:

Shame...  I was getting attached to the gloss black finish.

Mission goes on over grey primer. NO undercoat. 

Im glad I fixed the little errors. It looks 50x better now. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I'll have to try it again. My first attempt did not get me happy results. 

Well, I just laid down the aluminum.  I’ll let it dry overnight then mist it with chrome as recommended. Right now it looks like RAF high speed silver.

• Like 7