The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh man....just too cool!

Thanks Anthony, it'd definitely a labor of love with this one. Every time I turn around, I find more differences, additions, and deletions from the standard Lanc.  And there's no "tweaks list" to  go by and I'm no research hero either... but, I expect she'll look nice when finished.

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Very different than the usual black on brown camouflage.:thumbsup2:

Speaking of our research guru......

• Like 6

• Administrators

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!

is that a NACA vent above the stabilizer?!?!? And there’s something below the stabilizer as well. Good grief, there are very, very few good pics of FM104 in her final livery, other than the 5 or 6 famous ones.

It’s not on the other side, just that triangular spot that looks like a black backwards NACA vent.  I think if it is, at this stage it may be represented by a decal or paint. 

The surprises never cease.

A19A54C8-5F2F-4F18-9948-F1721A6D0CB6.jpeg

• Like 1

These might or might not help. One or two clearly show a black triangle (not a NACA vent), but one or two seem to hint at a small air scoop or possibly vent pipe. I’d say go with the black triangle...

70BB9922-E24D-4CCE-ABD8-6D928424D6BD.jpeg

010C3C9F-D686-4BFF-85D0-57E797FFC774.png

F92FE952-D3C3-4E87-B617-17C255CD893F.png

3349405C-D075-42A2-BEC7-A2D4F9F1BD98.png

64A5D78B-25A5-4A28-83E3-65577C1ACE55.png

CA039A6E-12C1-404D-8797-5D22C62B81CC.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The price we pay for continual research.  You just keep finding things!

Lancaster2.jpg

Avro-Lancaster-FM212-Canadian-Historical

NEP4791773.jpg

1636534-large.jpg

Lancaster-FM-104-in-19611.jpg

Avro-lancaster--RCAF--Serial-No--FM104--

Avro-Lancaster-FM159-Alaska.jpg

Seems to be a common modification to the rescue Lancs.  Doesn't show up on the armed birds, and it's missed by the the aviation artists, too:

2076_rd.jpg

Bummer!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know this might be my "jet" brain kicking in but.... apu exhaust? Did the modify the postwar lancs with an apu to be more self sufficient away from home?  Didn't B-29s have a crude form of an apu as well?

• Like 5

• Administrators
4 hours ago, TJTX said:

I know this might be my "jet" brain kicking in but.... apu exhaust? Did the modify the postwar lancs with an apu to be more self sufficient away from home?  Didn't B-29s have a crude form of an apu as well?

Tony, you might have something. Although most old aircraft I've been around used batteries or flywheels to start, augmented by a plug for a start cart if needed.

Of course, yes, it could be an ad hoc cooling vent for the FADEC.

• Like 3

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Could it be a long line antenna exit? WHere they are reeled in and out, the US SAR aircraft had some that reeled out, like on the Kingfisher.

THIS is what I thought, too. But wouldn't the long line deploy from the belly?  I could see this whipping around and smacking the tail perspex.

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

could it be a wire connected to this antenna behind the cockpit?

1 Capture.JPG

This thing is literally bristling with antannas and masts. FM104 was mostly used as a Patrol Bomber, so I'd expect there'd be plenty of listening equipment and ASW capability.

That mast is common to both sides, and connects to the dipole antenna that's strung to the fins.

• Like 2

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Jeff said:

what are you using for the Day Glo, Ernie? Can you mask over it without pulling it off??

It’s MM with an FS number and yes, I sure hope so, using a small edge of detacked Tamiya tape on paper

• Like 2