The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I got the lower hull assembly started.

IMG_20190601_222241-L.jpg

It comes flat pack and there's the option for working suspension. I'm skipping that bit and keeping it simple. 

The underside is fully detailed as well.

IMG_20190601_223802-L.jpg

Here's a size comparison with my Dingo. 

IMG_20190601_233702-L.jpg

Last bit for tonight, I've started on the cleanup of the road wheels. 

IMG_20190601_233911-L.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Last bit for tonight, I've started on the cleanup of the road wheels. 

Great start Carl...

This is my biggest surprise of these Armour builds, the amount of sprue gates and cleanup required beyond what I'm used to in Aircraft kits.

S

• Like 5

Great choice, to build a ride for your Dingo :D. I thought about a Jagdpanther myself for that GB, but have only a G2, hardly fitting the timeframe and got skipped among others. I will enjoy your build though.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Wumm said:

Great start Carl...

This is my biggest surprise of these Armour builds, the amount of sprue gates and cleanup required beyond what I'm used to in Aircraft kits.

S

Thanks! This kit isn't that bad. There's only two sprue attachment points per wheel and the mould seam is fairly faint too. 

9 hours ago, Jackster said:

The Dingo, sitting in the chassis really emphasizes the size difference. 

Very nice start Carl

Cheers

Kev

Thanks Kev! It really is impressive the size difference. Here's one with it in front of a Sherman which I need to finish. 

IMG_20190602_121428-L.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great choice, to build a ride for your Dingo :D. I thought about a Jagdpanther myself for that GB, but have only a G2, hardly fitting the timeframe and got skipped among others. I will enjoy your build though.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! I wasn't sure about the G1 initially but once I confirmed that they were around in Normandy, that made it an easy choice. 

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Great choice Carl, I build armour but haven’t ever built Meng, looking for to the build.........better get started on my Tiger.....

This is my first Meng kit so it'll be interesting to see how it goes together. Ok, first Meng kit beside their cute Lanc 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

You can get the G1 kit on ebay for as low as $36 from China. Sunlightmodelstore is the vendor I used.

I got mine for about the same from Aurora models in China as well. 

29 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

That's WITH shipping, btw, to the U.S.

Same to Canada. My LHS just can't compete on anything coming out of China. Kits from Japan and Europe are closer in price, especially after you factor in shipping. 

• Like 3

You will have to contend with zimmerit on those Jagdpanthers, I do believe. Meng doesn't pre-mold it on their kits AFAIK but they sell the decal type as I have it for my Panther.

Also pretty sure you can't use the Hinterhalt-Tarnüng ambush pattern, either; too early.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I got mine for about the same from Aurora models in China as well. 

Same to Canada. My LHS just can't compete on anything coming out of China. Kits from Japan and Europe are closer in price, especially after you factor in shipping. 

I know shipping overseas can get pricey but I have never been able to figure out the deal with postage up there in the Great White North. Can't blame on your current politicians (which would be easy) as this has been a thing for a long time. Does your government just not like mail?

• Like 4

You will have to contend with zimmerit on those Jagdpanthers, I do believe. Meng doesn't pre-mold it on their kits AFAIK but they sell the decal type as I have it for my Panther.

Also pretty sure you can't use the Hinterhalt-Tarnüng ambush pattern, either; too early.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked some photos of the actual tank and there's definitely zimmerit. It's the square pattern one but I haven't seen Meng's decal zimmerit for this kit. Might have to make it from scratch. Which I hope is easier than the last time I tried doing zimmerit. 

IMG_20181005_232429-L.jpg

As for the camo scheme, does that mean the kit version is wrong?  Should it just be in a dark yellow only? 

I know shipping overseas can get pricey but I have never been able to figure out the deal with postage up there in the Great White North. Can't blame on your current politicians (which would be easy) as this has been a thing for a long time. Does your government just not like mail?

Can't really say either. Canada Post is getting by on delivering packages these days as letter mail had been on the decline. I know they wanted to get rid of door to door service a few years ago but that sort of got back burnered. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Can't really say either. Canada Post is getting by on delivering packages these days as letter mail had been on the decline. I know they wanted to get rid of door to door service a few years ago but that sort of got back burnered. 

Remember when they actually got out of the truck and walked up to your porch with the mail? Now you have to have a USPS-approved mailbox out on the street or share a cluster box with a bunch of neighbors on your block. Or go pick it up at the P.O. Oh well, I'd love to talk more on this but I have to check my porch and see if the milkman has made his rounds yet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Remember when they actually got out of the truck and walked up to your porch with the mail? Now you have to have a USPS-approved mailbox out on the street or share a cluster box with a bunch of neighbors on your block. Or go pick it up at the P.O. Oh well, I'd love to talk more on this but I have to check my porch and see if the milkman has made his rounds yet.

They still do. For the moment anyways. No milkman unfortunately, just guys selling duct cleaning services. Who get confused when I say we have rad heating.

• Like 2

Mail guys coming to the door, the milk man coming to the door, ...................AND I am old enough to remember the Fuller Brush Man.................. he was COOL !.............ah, the GOOD old days........................now we keep the doors locked due to all the predators out there........................ times have changed................... I guess   :unsure:

• Like 3

Some more progress from last night. I got the rest of the wheels cleaned up and ready for paintwork

IMG_20190602_232829-L.jpg

I've already assembled one each of the sprocket and idler wheels. The inner wheels are done too.  

Our cat decided to check in on the newest feline in the house. 

IMG_20190603_165447-L.jpg

I wonder if she approves. 

• Like 5

Ok, time to fling some paint. I painted all the road wheels with Tamiya Rubber black 

IMG_20190603_220110-L.jpg

IMG_20190603_220114-L.jpg

Once they're dry, I'll mask them using a cardboard circle template to paint the inner section.

Here's my first try at the zimmerit the Jagdpanther had.

IMG_20190603_205449-L.jpg

Turns out it's the wrong pattern so I scrubbed it off and tried again. 

IMG_20190603_220515-L.jpg

I think this is closer but I'll still work on it a bit.

Carl

• Like 7