The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What to do, what to do...HELP!

Hey all 

I need your guys input. I'm trying to choose between a 1/24 Airfix Mosquito for $175.00 US (these are selling fo close to $400.00 US on Ebay) or a 1/24 Airfix Typhoon 1b (bubble top) for $169.00 US. I'm kinda leaning towards the Mosquito, because it's been out of production for 9 to 10 years and they are getting scarce. The Typhoon on the other hand is also out of production although not for as long. I really like the Typhoon, looks so cool in full D day dress.

I want to get both but can't afford to do both right away. So it has to be one or the other right now. I'll be able to get the other one in a year or so, but I'm having a hell of a damn time trying to figure out which one. So everyone chirp in and let me know what you think.

Ron G 

• Like 4

Sacrifice a few beers and a Friday dinner out, and get both................. that's what I do, Friday night burgers and beer is usually around 100 bucks for Cathy and I, so One dinner out and it could work..........................

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I wish they'd scale them down to 1/32.

Try these in metal (there are some more sets available)  http://www.profimodeller.com/detail/p32173-uk-us-hvar-rocket/

or these in resin http://www.aires.cz/en/product/r-a-f-3-inch-60lb-rockets/3-703/

I have both sets, the first for my PBJ-1 and the second for a Tamiya Mossie, both look decent and well made.

2 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

I'm more interested in the Yahu instrument panel for the Mossie

Go for it, Yahu panels are worth it. The ones I have are printed much sharper and with a more correct color appearance than Eduard PE.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all 

I need your guys input. I'm trying to choose between a 1/24 Airfix Mosquito for $175.00 US

Ron, here might be a solution to your dilemma. This company has 1/24 Mossie for £99.00 .........

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/airfix-kit-a25001a-de-havilland-mosquito-fb-vi-1-24-scale-aircraft-model/

• Like 2

On 6/30/2019 at 9:19 AM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Ok, now I just have to figure out how to talk the other half into letting me get the Typhoon...lol

You say it's discontinued and if you don't grab it now, it'll cost twice as much or more in the future.

There's enough truth in it....:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

I'll try that on her, but I will hold on to the family jewels will I do...lol:D:rolleyes:

It worked for me. I missed out on the original release of the Fine Molds 1/72 Millenium Falcon so when did they their first re-issue, I was able to grab one without a fuss. 

It was a bit harder to pull off when Bandai then put out their definitive version a few years later. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I stopped in to the local HS to pick up some paint, and there on the shelf was the 1/24 Airfix Typhoon 1b (bubble top). I looked at the wife and she said go ahead and get it. $139.95 US what a steel! She's the absolute best!!!

Ron G 

• Like 6