The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH B-36 Peacemaker A truly LARGE scale model.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

So I find myself prepping and fitting some crew area parts into the fuselage, and here we find what is probably the most popular xpensive kit sold by a mainstream manufacturer to be lacking such simple items as instrument decals.  Yes I’m still fuming over that. 

We’re given a beautiful PE panel and engineer area, but are left with big gaping holes for the instruments.  For a thousand dollar kit, that’s unforgivable. 

The good news is that everything really, really fits nicely so far.

• Like 4

• Administrators
14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'm wondering what it'll look like under the greenhouse, Ern.  Must be shitloads of instrumentation, not to mention the pizza oven and soda fountain.

The engineer's desk in miniature looks like the control room from a 1980's nuclear Power Plant, seriously.

There's plenty to see under the greenhouse, and I think the two man engineer's station will be much more visible than the traditional instrument panel. The instrument panel has a big glare shield over it as well, so there's plenty of detail possibilities here.

Then there's the soda counter with three milkshake makers, a fountain, and an attached laundromat and bandstand, all with La-Z-Boy recliners to sit down in.

• Like 7

Guess these links will only make the task more onerous, just looking at all those cockpit dials.. 
https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197636/convair-b-36j-peacemaker/fbclid/IwAR0fUQmAuApX1My4tjSTEomcKxUTjrD76q6RKubTqe2RJRAn_1NN7i-N-7I/
plus, there is the odd facebook group dedicated to this beast, with some posts of interior shots.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/345029672370518/

72758585_10215109944197529_7372029764053237760_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Clunkmeister said:

Yep.  It’s a chore, but if I’m going to do this, then I do it right.  I don’t expect two or three will ever get finished, so I may as well go whole hog

Just take a deep breath...then attack! Go full bore on it cupcake. You do great work, and like you said, this may be only one of a very few that fo get built !........FT

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well, Sprue Brothers just got 200.00 of my hard earned $$$ for 6 WW2 USAAF cockpit sets, 6 Allied early jet sets, and a 1/48 placards.

I still say that for what these things sell for, the B-36 should have come with the instrument decals in the kit.

• Like 5

• Administrators

So, according to Sprue Brothers, my envelope will be here Friday. So, I lay out a panel and build it. I’m looking forward to this. Once the panels are done, that’s the only real impediment in the way.

So awaaaay we go!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Well, they look nice. I didn’t need to buy six sets of USAAF, because in 1/48, they come as two complete sets

Don’t you move to 1/48 scale just « because you have to use these instruments decals sets » :rtfm: !

Hubert

• Like 7

• Administrators

So I took a bit of time last night and cleaned both decks of the front end resin parts. 

as resin kits go, this appears to be a fairly simple build, at least as far as HPH goes. One piece fuselage and wings that all mate up perfectly are all good things.  But all the parts are truly massive. The fuselage alone is 3 ft long. 
I’ve been trimming the flight deck hole to mate to the big greenhouse and so far, it looks great. I expect no major issues other than handling issues. 

71FD6DD8-64C0-4A65-A1E2-2DB9F81CB278.jpeg

64CFAE13-3E33-4403-B9FE-84F5421E7E7D.jpeg

• Like 4