The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH B-36 Peacemaker A truly LARGE scale model.

• Administrators

I’ve been wrenching my remaining 74 brain cells, thinking of a companion build for my Lanc that would have real Texas connection. Sabre Dogs have been done ad nauseum, and so have Tex Hill’s and Jack Ilfrey’s Birds. 

Besides, I like building bombers and transports, not so much scouts, pursuits, and fighters.  So I stumped around, looking for the most Texas of iconic Texas aircraft, one that had to have a definite Texas connection well beyond flying for a Texas squadron or being flown by a Texan.

So, we decided on the only aircraft that is insanely more ostentatious than a big aluminum, white, and orange Lanc is the B-36 Magnesium Overcast, built right here in Fort Worth.

10 engines! Only in Texas would something this crazy be dreamed up and actually built!  6 turning and four burning, as they said.   Or, as they also said, Two turning, two burning, two choking, two smoking, and two unaccounted for.

A magnesium, white and shiny  aluminum RB-36.  Oh heck yeah, baby!  The ultimate stash queen, hiding as investment models worldwide. What better than to turn a $1000.00 stash queen into a worthless built model?  C’mon guys, this just gotta be done!  

The overlooked high flyer that was the only US strategic bomber that never once had to drop a bomb in anger. Right up till the day it was retired, it was for all intents and purposes, untouchable. Decent SAMs weren’t developed yet, and there wasn’t a fighter that could reach it.

The reworked "featherweights" routinely cruised at 55,000 ft+, sometimes pushing 60,000 ft., and crews stated it could go much higher. That’s U-2 territory!  And then there’s the real reason for that huge wing. It could carry the US’s heaviest nuclear bombs right to Russia and return to its base. Nonstop. Unrefueled. For shorter ranges, it could carry over 80,000 lbs of bombs. Long range she could manage 10-12,000 lbs. 

Yes, it was a maintenance nightmare, but the Russians were terrified of it and it was the perfect deterrent in the days before the ICBM, and was only knocked off its lofty perch by the new B-52. If the B-52 hadn't eventually successful, we might still have re-engined B-36s plying the skies. The B-36 only served for about 11 years, but such was the state of the race back then that the huge part time jet was eclipsed by a smaller 8 engined full timer.

7C6F424B-BF3D-441F-8CF5-79CBE609F70E.jpeg

0F237CF8-8263-4160-BC04-539DFC19C412.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Just watched "Strategic Air Command" so I'm ready. :popcorn::popcorn: are you going to do a B-47 to go with it :respect::unworthy:;)

Ron G 

I'm waiting for HPH to release it. Let me put it this way, there's room for one big Boeing jet bomber, and I'm NOT buying the B-52. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I’ve received several inquiries on how to open up molded over areas on HPH fiberglass kits, and it’s no different than styrene and good old resin; drill around, slightly inside the circumference, (I use a 1/16 bit in a Dremel), then join the holes and once the molded area is off, carefully sand to fit.

No different look Han a year other, but remember, fiberglass dust itches bare skin like CS gas residue, so wear long sleeves, and for God’s Sake, wear a respirator! 

• Like 3

• Administrators

It looks like I’m going to be busy. The pilots panel and the massive engineers board have round edges for, but no instrument detail inside the gauge edges.

So, Airscale to the rescue. I’m thinking two 1/48 WW2 cockpit sets, plus six 1/48 early jet sets. Then bezels and placards. This cockpit is highly visible through the big Jetsons style bubble.  

HGW belts are included for all work areas. Lower deck work areas are visible through the bomb aimer’s nose.  Much help needed although the basics are all there.  B-36 cockpits were very cluttered and busy areas.

Researching the photo lab now. It goes in the forward bomb bay. Of course the RB is a featherweight, so all gun positions except the tail must be eliminated. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 8/23/2019 at 2:20 PM, airscale said:

Ho Lee Sheet thats a big mother...

I thought I built big models - I would need a bigger house

One mammoth project thats for sure and thrilled I am gonna get to be along for the ride :)

Peter

Peter, although this is 1/48 and technically not Large Scale, it is a LARGE scale model, and I think many of your basic techniques along with modeling 101 should do the job. 

I’m absolutely thrilled to be able to build this kit and to be able to build it here amongst friends.  

• Like 6