The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

MiniArt U.S. Bulldozer

Back in February I put a hold on my M4A3 Sherman in an effort to finish a model for the local NJIPMS contest in the beginning of April.  Figuring I would not be able to finish the Sherman in time.  I already had the MiniArt US Bulldozer (civilian version) at home and thought why not, thinking I could finish it in time.  Well, the contest was moved to August but I would not have been able to finish it on time.  I under estimated the amount of time required to clean up the numerous and thick sprue gates on each part, even the thin cabling and levers.  Reading some other reviews I decided to replace the kits track with fruilmodel tracks which I think look great and were easy to assemble.  The only other thing added was some wiring. 

Let me show you some of the progress to date.

• Like 2

The kit starts with the engine.  Replace the molded on plate, not sure what it is called, with plastic sheet and punched out bold.  The seam went in between and was not easy to clean up.  Well worth it as this is highly visible once the floor plates are put in. 

Progress on with most of the engine.

Start of engine.jpg

Engine 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this point I have the engine together and put it on it frame.  Took me a while to figure out how to run the fuel injection wiring.  During the building I was trying to determine the best time to put an initial coat of paint down as some of it will be hard to get at if you go any further.

I had also put the together the track assemblies and placed the from on top of it.  Starting to look closer to a bulldozer.

At this point I assembled the fruilmodel tracks and checked the fit.  They fit perfectly.  You can see the seat assembly in the back ground along with the track rollers.

Tractor close up.jpg

tractor .jpg

track assembly.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Started to add the base layer that will be seen after chipping.  Used a combination of red brown and black mix as well as straight red brown.  You can see it on the track assembly and engine plate cover (bottom of the bulldozer).  Once sprayed, I put a coat of AK interactive worn affects.

base painted track assembly.jpg

base plate.jpg

• Like 4

Now it was time for some yellow paint. and getting it into the small areas of the engine.  Then started the chipping.  The engine cover from underneath the bulldozer is chipped and worn figuring that would have the greatest wear.  Also weathered the support bar/suspension.  Not as chipped as I felt it would be protected some what by the engine plate. 

yellow track assembly.jpg

main engine assembly.jpg

yellow engine plate.jpg

cross support.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Most of the engine painted.  Did a little chipping, especially the fan, but did not want it heavily chipped around the engine but will build up dirt and grime.  The only section I have heavily worn is the tow connection at the back with most to the yellow paint worn off.  Basically, only had a very light coast of yellow is spots and then slowly removed it. 

I have progress and will update with more.

subassembly yellow.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

HA ! You only broke TWO !!? wow, I have the original release of the "crawler" version, and the plastic is SO brittle, just looking at it the parts break............ it sat partly done in the pile for a LONG time, then every once it a while I get a wild hair and try to get it going again just to be frustrated with the shitty parts.......... so a little research, well actually a LOT of digging, and I found that the first issue of the Dozers, the military ones, and crawlers, had plastic that was sourced from Russia, and was very brittle and most unforgiving to any sort of handling........ so................. bear in mind I have had this kit a VERY long time.................. a quick email to Miniart as suggested by a fellow on another forum, made contact with Customer service at M/A, and communication was FANTASTIC, and I offered to BUY a couple new issue sprues, as the 'new' plastic is now sourced from Belgium, and is much more modeller friendly,  and Ben from Customer Service, just wanted a pic of what I needed and of my kit, and he has sent me TWO replacement sprues FREE of charge and NO shipping costs !! Absolutely incredible customer service, and they have cemented me as a life time customer now for sure.... so the civilian D 7 is on my list as well as the fuel barrels and one or two other items..... Miniart, came through in SPADES !  I will follow this build with GREAT interest.............. so as you have only broken 2 pieces, I take it the plastic is very good, and it is a good time in the build?

Jeff

• Like 3

The plastic is not bad. Sanding is good but there is just so much of it due to the spruce gates. 

I did the chipping but I did not want it rusting, just used and worn  

Most of the painted parts have a clear coat.  I like using Alclad Aqua gloss clear.  If you put down thin layers it looks more like a satin or semi gloss look.  

Time for the washes and oil.  Going to use different shades of yellow oil paint to get a faded look.  We will see how it goes.  Some more updated photos.

D9C5001C-2168-451D-BB7F-27F0E211D880.jpeg

F89D90C1-E218-461C-A6AB-44BEDC4990D8.jpeg

15E17AB6-F2C9-4E84-9428-C6B6F9993F0A.jpeg

108A7D73-FBF8-461D-98BD-D837B04A1991.jpeg

8799DB8D-5E5D-4AC0-AF78-2906BA1FB870.jpeg

71F72B88-7B4C-4691-A058-28022C66CE6E.jpeg

73D5A62C-FDCC-48A4-81DA-A5B83FBBF716.jpeg

• Like 8

Love it, your progress looks great. These dozers and tractors have a very addictive appeal. I was urged to take out my started Doobi kit.
The yellow seems to be a bit - err - yellow - if it should be factory Caterpillar stuff.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

What paint and what yellow did you use..? And , Rob, back in the day, the yellow used on Cat's were actually quite 'yellow', I seem to recall that the 'Cat' yellow is rather somewhat 'new', by that I mean roughly the 1950's or so, BUT I could be VERY wrong, a fellow told me not long ago, some of the first Civvie Cats were in fact quite a bright yellow, as I said the same as you, I was certain the bright yellow was incorrect, but he said no it isn't, and I was pressed to find some pics, but all the pics out there  are of faded paint....... but appeared to have been quite 'yellow'.................. someone Please correct me..... I was going to go with a brighter yellow too.......

• Like 3

Really fantastic work on the dozer. 

48 minutes ago, Jeff said:

some of the first Civvie Cats were in fact quite a bright yellow

I wonder if they had chromium in the paint. Toronto police cars used to be a very bright yellow as they used chromium. Eventually they switched to white as the chromium turned out to be quite toxic. The old police workshops ended up being declared as contaminated and were forced to close. 

Carl

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Really fantastic work on the dozer. 

I wonder if they had chromium in the paint. Toronto police cars used to be a very bright yellow as they used chromium. Eventually they switched to white as the chromium turned out to be quite toxic. The old police workshops ended up being declared as contaminated and were forced to close. 

Carl

That could be, maybe using any and all old paint?  That's interesting , Carl... certainly I bet it would have been lead based eh??

• Like 2

I had started to use Cadmium-Barium yellow deep oil paint in some areas. It tones down the yellow a little bit. I used it on the back of the seat lip and the cap. Not sure if it is noticeable in the picture but you can see a difference in person. Plan on using different shades of yellow oil paint to give it a faded and worn  

the picture I basing my color on was this one which is a brighter yellow  but I do see others with a more orange look to the yellow. 

I love the discussion. Looking forward to more feed back. 
anyone know the best method to get a faded/worn black seat?  Thinking of dry brushing a lighter brown color. 

FD578632-A86A-4118-927E-3B20E9B704E5.jpeg

8D6313BB-4C1C-41A5-83D2-A4D6F5EA8AA5.jpeg

• Like 5

Yeah............... that's the 'bright' yellow I was referring to, not at all like Cat Yellow of today, and as far as I am aware, Cat Yellow is a specific special mix, I know the guys at work tried and couldn't come up with it, and used School bus yellow, in which case they may as well have used chartreuse !   That Cat in the pic, is what I'm thinking of doing mine like..... great pic, thanks !

• Like 2

It sure looks like it! I have the Heller TE-20 kit half built, and I keep eyeing other machinery kits, but I just can't allow myself to spread out too much. I can't afford to expand the hobby!!

I particularly love the rusty Cat photo above (note the brand new seat!). I love rusty farm equipment. I actually used to refurbish equipment as a job years ago, so I stripped and painted many a tractor and Caterpillar. I also spent a lot of hours driving tractors and lift trucks at various jobs before I joined the desk bound world. Old machines like that will always have a special place for me.

• Like 2