Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Fokker E.V / D.VIII Parasol Mikro Mir 1/32

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Slowly but surely, the midget Fokker is closing in on the finish line. I added a Flory clay wash, where I removed the residues very careful and matte varnished fuselage and wings. I added the cross bracing on the undercarriage using Uschis elastic rigging thread. The 08/15 MG's from Gaspatch were added and I tried to add round counters made from tin foil, but lost one of the decals and left them away, as I couldn't find an adequate substitute. The Ammo feeds are made from PE. I added a small windscreen, after cutting the supplied Acetate one to fit. The prop was also painted in desert yellow and got an oil colour treatment and will be varnished next.

Next step is to mount the wings and the supplied PE aileron rigging, and I hope it will work again with the little one :D.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8453.thumb.JPG.7b2ec5b5c3aa49d3dcf9b031c9d443de.JPG

IMG_8454.thumb.JPG.17200696249feb8fe30f7ba22c360c27.JPG

What a crisp detail taking into account the size of it.

Looking at the foto I would never believe that this is 1/72! Beautiful build! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

What a crisp detail taking into account the size of it.

Looking at the foto I would never believe that this is 1/72! Beautiful build! 

Thanks Kai, 1/72 will never be my go to scale, but the Fokker is pure fun. I couldn't let this kit pass, when I became aware of it's existence. Beside some issues with the attachment points of the kit, which seemingly never really fit, it's a great kit with smart engineering and with the additions of PE and great decals, including the lozenge camo, there is no real need for any aftermarket stuff. I added the Gaspatch 08/15's because I had them. The kit ones don't look so bad with the PE cooling jackets, but the Gaspatch are on a different level, simply the best.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Nice work, Rob!  Glad to see you've got the struts sorted out.

Thanks Gaz, steady hands, an optivisor and a sharp blade did the job. I didn't dare to grind with power tools :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Gaz, steady hands, an optivisor and a sharp blade did the job. I didn't dare to grind with power tools :D.

Cheers Rob

I've been getting a lot of practice with the toothbrush.  I use it for most situations, now.  Even on fragile stuff.

• Like 4

Finally the 1/72 Fokker D.VIII is done. The assembly of the wing was a little nightmare, fitting ten points on the different struts at the same time in the right angle and make it durable. The angle of the wing is a bit off as a result, but I decided against to break the parts away and try another time with the same possibility of misalignment. I added the wheels and the prop, which was sprayed desert yellow, received an oil colour treatment and then some clear orange from AK brushed on.
When you see the pics, be gracious, as this thing is as big as a grasshopper and the macro lens unveils all the tiny blemishes.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8459.thumb.JPG.1cebe77aae4f9e47805202b49b81e639.JPG

IMG_8461.thumb.JPG.07a3366861e84cf7f9c1c1bb86edbf56.JPG

IMG_8462.thumb.JPG.423b05d95534e87cea860cf11bdcbf00.JPG

IMG_8463.thumb.JPG.3580e07fd21c1f3cdb8c422c5316a7e1.JPG

IMG_8464.thumb.JPG.15ac035b1f48d0f27d9f9cd34009b342.JPG

IMG_8466.thumb.JPG.8437c24dbece5f5d0bd3188687af8dd2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

Finally the 1/72 Fokker D.VIII is done. The assembly of the wing was a little nightmare, fitting ten points on the different struts at the same time in the right angle and make it durable. The angle of the wing is a bit off as a result, but I decided against to break the parts away and try another time with the same possibility of misalignment. I added the wheels and the prop, which was sprayed desert yellow, received an oil colour treatment and then some clear orange from AK brushed on.
When you see the pics, be gracious, as this thing is as big as a grasshopper and the macro lens unveils all the tiny blemishes.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8459.thumb.JPG.1cebe77aae4f9e47805202b49b81e639.JPG

IMG_8461.thumb.JPG.07a3366861e84cf7f9c1c1bb86edbf56.JPG

IMG_8462.thumb.JPG.423b05d95534e87cea860cf11bdcbf00.JPG

IMG_8463.thumb.JPG.3580e07fd21c1f3cdb8c422c5316a7e1.JPG

IMG_8464.thumb.JPG.15ac035b1f48d0f27d9f9cd34009b342.JPG

IMG_8466.thumb.JPG.8437c24dbece5f5d0bd3188687af8dd2.JPG

Stunning little bird Rob. It’s so colorful!

You should make a photo with a coin beside it or a post a photo here with her bigger sister so that we get a feeling how tiny it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No blemishes at all, Rob, especially considering the true size. Which is also why the wire wheels probably look better in real life than on the macro pics. These wire wheels are the nemesis of aircrafts’ and cars’ kits in almost all but the biggest scales.

H7bert

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HubertB said:

No blemishes at all, Rob, especially considering the true size. Which is also why the wire wheels probably look better in real life than on the macro pics. These wire wheels are the nemesis of aircrafts’ and cars’ kits in almost all but the biggest scales.

Thanks Hubert, I actually was tempted by the chosen scheme, because of the spoked wheels. It made the D.VIII appear different. One problem with the kit is, some of the PE parts appear to be a little to big. I used a template to bend the cone and the rim was closed, but the spokes were still too large in diameter. The non bent inner spokes have the same issue.
With my unmacroed 55 year old eye, it looks ok, as the diameter of the wheel is less than 10 mm and if my eyesight betters, I will change them to covered wheels ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Truly macro photography for macro size work. Simply a stunner - gorgeous work
Keep ‘em comin

Thanks Peter, macro pics can be cruel, but it also shows the areas for improvement in future builds.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thankfully my boys keep taking my 1/72 kits from the stash and build them themselves. Saves my eyesight.:lol:

Thanks Carl, be grateful to your boys for lifting the burden.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Rob............. I think I may have an idea for your next bi-plane or parasol..... on another site a fellow is doing a 1/48 scale Camel.....to which , obviously needs to have the cabane struts attached correctly, and he came up with an ingenious idea that I am going to try and he show it works perfectly with no fuss.... he takes a clear flat piece of plastic, puts it on the bottom of the top wing, and marks where the struts are to be located, he then punches little holes for the struts to sit in for accurate alignment as they dry on the fuselage, and when dry he removes the clear jig and just sets the top wing on in perfect alignment..... I'm most definitely going to give this a go... also as you align the struts, you can see them perfectly through the clear plastic

struts.jpg

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Rob............. I think I may have an idea for your next bi-plane or parasol..... on another site a fellow is doing a 1/48 scale Camel.....to which , obviously needs to have the cabane struts attached correctly, and he came up with an ingenious idea that I am going to try and he show it works perfectly with no fuss.... he takes a clear flat piece of plastic, puts it on the bottom of the top wing, and marks where the struts are to be located, he then punches little holes for the struts to sit in for accurate alignment as they dry on the fuselage, and when dry he removes the clear jig and just sets the top wing on in perfect alignment..... I'm most definitely going to give this a go... also as you align the struts, you can see them perfectly through the clear plastic

Cunning, I never thought about that method, thanks for mentioning it Jeff. On the 1/72 Fokker it wouldn't have been an option though, because I think this only works with brass rods in the struts, no option for 1/72.
Anyway, it's a great method for pre aligning struts on biplanes and I will store it on my brain harddisk.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Cunning, I never thought about that method, thanks for mentioning it Jeff. On the 1/72 Fokker it wouldn't have been an option though, because I think this only works with brass rods in the struts, no option for 1/72.
Anyway, it's a great method for pre aligning struts on biplanes and I will store it on my brain harddisk.

Cheers Rob 

Glad to have been of some use, Rob, I thought it was  a rather smart way to align the struts, and there is no way I would have thought of it either..... for me my brain has no "hard disc', more of a 'floppy disc' for me :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2