The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32nd scale Roland D.VIa

Hi all,
I'm now starting on the 'Wingnut Wings' 1:32 scale model of the Roland D.VIa fighter.
This aircraft was unusual in that its fuselage was clad in overlapping plywood planks, known as ’lapstrake’, which was similar to that used on clinker built boats.
This proved to be as strong, but lighter than existing constructions methods provided, which was an important factor for a fighter aircraft.
Also the lower wings were located under, not into, the lower fuselage.

It's the Roland D.VIa, Serial No: 3615/18 during 1918 (Jasta unknown).

Mike

header.jpg

• Like 8

Hi all,
A few updates.
I'm working on the fuselage internals and the engine.
The fuselage halves were two-tone, as were the cockpit side frames.
The engine bearer frame was a single colour.
As I normally do, the slight weathering effect was done using the 'Flory Models' dark dirt clay wash.
The rudder, elevator and ailerons control lines were added using 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and blackened 0.4 mm diameter tubes.
Other detail, such as pipes, seat harness etc will be added after the cockpit assembly is built and before closing up the fuselage.

The next stage, after completing the engine is to assemble the fuselage,

Mike

pitprep1.jpg

pitprep2.jpg

pitprep3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
A few updates.
I'm working on the fuselage internals and the engine.
The fuselage halves were two-tone, as were the cockpit side frames.
The engine bearer frame was a single colour.
As I normally do, the slight weathering effect was done using the 'Flory Models' dark dirt clay wash.
The rudder, elevator and ailerons control lines were added using 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and blackened 0.4 mm diameter tubes.
Other detail, such as pipes, seat harness etc will be added after the cockpit assembly is built and before closing up the fuselage.

The next stage, after completing the engine is to assemble the fuselage,

Mike

pitprep1.jpg

pitprep2.jpg

pitprep3.jpg

Another lovely piece of art is growing!

• Like 4

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The cockpit structure is now complete and ready to be fitted into the closed up fuselage.
I had to sand the outer surface of the two cockpit side frames and cockpit frames quite a bit, as for some reason the fuselage wouldn't close up fully with the cockpit test fitted.
I know tolerances are tight, especially on WNW kits so I made sure there was no paint etc on any mating faces.
Even so the gap at the underside seam of the fuselage was large, indicating something wasn't fitted correctly.
Everything look correct so I'm not sure where the obstruction was - probably around the fuel tank area.

Anyway, it's sorted and ready to move onto closing up the fuselage,

Mike

pitprep4.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Really nice work on the cockpit and engine. 

Was there a particular reason they did the interior in two colours?

Carl

Hi Carl,

I'm not sure why Roland painted the engine bay area, but it does seem to be something that company did.

It was painted with the same as used on the external metalwork and struts,

Mike

museum1.jpg

museum2.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,
The fuselage is now closed up with the cockpit front decking panel fitted.
I'm replacing the kit supplied machine guns with resin equivalent weapons from 'GasPatch'.
These needed to be modified slightly so that would fit down and into the weapon slots in the front decking panel.
This required the removal of the front mounting and synchronizing cable from the underside of the breech blocks.
In addition the lower part of the cocking mechanism on the right side of the left weapon was removed.

Now it's onto preparing the fuselage for the application of the 'ProperPlane' wood effect decal set for this aircraft,

Mike

fus2.jpg

gun1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Perfection as ever Mike, at some point you must sleep rather than building.............

Hi Phil,

I go to sleep planning the next days modelling - I should get out more, but then Covid stops that :D

Mike

• Like 4

Hi all,
The wood effect decals with 'scarf' joint plywood joints (from 'ProperPlane') are now done.
These are probably the most difficult decals I've applied.
The 'scarf' joint strips and the fin, rudder and lower wing fairing were tricky, but the fuselage decals were something else.
They are four separate fuselage long single decals.
Not 'cookie' cut and with no marking or transparent areas for the fuselage raised details, such as access panels, pulleys and fittings.
Cutting these into sections was not really feasible as any slight overlap of the decal joins would show up as dark (double thickness of the decal.
Therefore when you lay down the decal, it rest on top of all the raised detail, like one pole holding up a tent.
This causes wrinkles and fold over of the decals.
I eventually worked around the problem but not without a few tears (patched) and wrinkles (fortunately on the underside), but these are certainly not for the less experienced modeler.

The decals are similar to those from 'Aviattic' in transparecy, but are not as strong.
They were laid onto a base coat of 'Tamiya' Dark Yellow (XF59) to darken the effect.

Next up is creating the masks for painting the large yellow arrow marking along the sides of the fuselage, which of course will cover a lot of the decals,

Mike

fus13.jpg

fus12.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

There is some doubt now over the authenticity of this particular colour scheme.
It seems that it was based on what is apparently the only known photograph of Emil Schäpe seated in a Roland fighter.
The Windsock Data file states that he is seated in a Roland D.VI but doesn't state whether it is a D.VIa or the later D.VIb version.
The photograph shows what appears to be the top of a multi-headed arrow marking on the side of the fuselage.
The late Dan-San Abbott interpreted this as the yellow arrow and this seems to have been accepted by painters and illustrators, such as Bob Pearson's profile I'm basing this model on.

The doubts centre on three things - The aircraft in the photograph is a later Roland D.VIb (not a D.VIa), the arrow marking was a lightning bolt marking (not an arrow) and the fuselage was not varnished wood but in fact painted. 
I've looked again at the photograph and to me at least, the fuselage marking looks more like an arrow head that lightning bolts.
Also I believe wood grain can be seen on the fuselage planking, although it is very faint. That said this was plywood strips, which wouldn't have much wood grain as such.
As to whether this is a D.VIa or a D.VIb is difficult to tell as the main differences were the D.VIb had a different engine and radiator cowl under the nose of the aircraft, neither of which can be seen on the photograph.
One possible clue for it being a D.VIb is that the two machine guns have extended cocking handles, which from other photographs the D.VIa didn't (standard cocking handles).
Maybe one day someone will come up with photographic or documentary evidence to settle these doubts,

When I build a model I like to try where possible to apply colour schemes that are not often modeled, which is why I chose this particular scheme.
I also didn't want to cover the wood effect decals with too much paintwork.
However, given the uncertainty of this colour scheme I've decided to switch the scheme to the Roland D.VIa, Serial No. 3615/18, which had no personal or Jasta fuselage markings.

Mike

arrow.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,
The basic fuselage is now finished.
As I said in the previous posts, the original colour scheme I was planning to do is in doubt, as to its authenticity.
In addition, any masking or masking tape laid onto these decals, no-matter how gently, started to lift the decals.
Having spent time and effort applying the wood effect decals, I didn't want to risk destroying them with masking.
There I chose a an authentic scheme that has no personal or unit markings.

The metal fittings were brush painted with 'Tamiya' Grey Green (XF76).
Padding was 'Humbrol' Leather (62) with hightlights of 'Tamiya' Hull Red (XF9).
Other metal fittings were 'Mr. Colour' Stainless Steel (213) and 'Tamiya' Black (X18)
'Weathering applied with 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt clay wash.
Sealing coat is 'Alclad' Light Sheen (311).

Now onto preparing the wings, ailerons, tail plane, rudder and elevators for the lozenge decals,

Mike

fus16.jpg

fus17.jpg

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
The basic fuselage is now finished.
As I said in the previous posts, the original colour scheme I was planning to do is in doubt, as to its authenticity.
In addition, any masking or masking tape laid onto these decals, no-matter how gently, started to lift the decals.
Having spent time and effort applying the wood effect decals, I didn't want to risk destroying them with masking.
There I chose a an authentic scheme that has no personal or unit markings.

The metal fittings were brush painted with 'Tamiya' Grey Green (XF76).
Padding was 'Humbrol' Leather (62) with hightlights of 'Tamiya' Hull Red (XF9).
Other metal fittings were 'Mr. Colour' Stainless Steel (213) and 'Tamiya' Black (X18)
'Weathering applied with 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt clay wash.
Sealing coat is 'Alclad' Light Sheen (311).

Now onto preparing the wings, ailerons, tail plane, rudder and elevators for the lozenge decals,

Mike

fus16.jpg

fus17.jpg

Be honest, Mike: 

This is a photo of the real plane taken in a museum.

Beautifully done! I‘m speechless 

• Like 3

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The 'Aviattic' four colour faded decals have been applied along with the kit decals.
The lozenge decals were applied on a white, pre-shaded gloss base coat.
The next step it to seal the decals with a clear semi-matte before applying the weathering wash.
Then onto pre-rigging the wings,

Mike

decalsdone.jpg

• Like 6