The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

F-16I IAF Sufa

F-16I IAF Sufa

The Sufa is on the bench and under way. Being my first kit in years, finding, replacing modeling supplies and tools has been a nightmare, time consuming and very expensive. As my use of my hands slowly improve (bad setback this pastweek: chemo session and a Petscan) – I’m still plugging away and spending more time hand repainting details, which is the best therapy for me, as I’m determine to keep improving. I’ve been able to build and prime using the air brush – something I haven’t been able to do just a few weeks ago. Finally, my modeling supplies have been arriving the past few days and now I can continue to make progress on the sub-assemblies I’ve started so far.

Initial Impressions

I would rate the kit fair at best at this point and I do love Sofa’s. What Academy did for the most part, was use their F-16C/CG kit, added additional frets with the parts needed for the Sufa, with a lot of unused single seat Viper parts left unused on the frets. Unfortunately, they also eliminated some parts that should be used on the Sufa but aren’t – the gatling gun as an example– parts are in the kit, not in the instructions as the rear cockpit tub ran right through this area.

Hit list number One.

Part fit of the NSI intake, suffers from the same terrible fit of their single seat Vipers have been noted for. One word of caution, don’t build the Tamiya kit first which I did I had already built, as you will be plain old spoiled as to how the part fit should be.it.  

My initial plan was to build the kit OOB all the way but after spending many aggravating hours dealing with the NSI intake for the P&W F100 engine, watching videos I could find, nothing solved the problem – a badly designed assembly. I broke my golden rule for this initial build and bought the Zacto NSI intake. Some tweaking was needed as for all resin but for the most part, a boatload of issues was solved with just thew casting alone.

Hit list number two:

The Electric spine and conformal Fuel Tanks – close but no cigar in placement and fit. Getting them to fit as per my major reference: F-16I Sufa in IAF service by Ra’anan Weiss – this has to be the definitive reference for me and I bought it when the book was first released. Yes, it’s only accurate as per the printing, that’s more then enough. Need to know about IAF camo and the color change, it’s all in the book with FS numbers – BTW, the book is full color.   With more test fitting and tweaking, the electronic spine and conformal fuel tanks were installed as to my reference photos but there were gaps that needed to be dealt with. I used Milliput which added strength and filled the gap at the same time. Some final filler will be needed but that's to be expected. 

The Front Office  

No real issues here – just worked my way slowly through all the hand painting with some masking and air brushing for the side consoles – yes, a bit of artistic license was used. For the first time, I used the kit seats, added a few bits and pieces and they looked pretty good. What looks terrible are the seat belts and harnesses – way too thin but a good painting exercise just the same.  

Loadouts

I decided to decide on my load outs from the start and to make sure all the holes were drilled out in the lower wing panel - the outer pylon locating holes were not there! Most Sufa’s do not use the 600 gallon wing tanks due to the excessive weight they place on the wings and I opted for the 370 gallon tanks and photos seem to confirm this (300 gallon tanks are also commonly used). Load outs were chosen as per the cover photo from the book, so I was OK – more latter in the build. 

Paints: MRP .

Hand painting: Model Air and Tamiya

I’ve finally figured out how to post photos and I keep all my build photos on Image Shack – just my way of doing it, so here we go. 

Peter

Please checkout how tight the NSI intake sits to the underside of the fuselage after some tweaking.

Jt2fqS.jpg

8ZKggu.jpg

Electric Spine and Conformal Fuel tanks - lots of work getting them to fit and then the Milliput. some filler and a bit more clean up is needed

2BROfo.jpg

smdrli.jpg

Rear intake ducting, the kit NSI intake and the main gearbay waiting for a few more parts and painting gloss white

BvgbRN.jpg

The Front Office - loads of work but awesome therapy for me

mt3rtF.jpg

• Like 10

Peter, great to see you back at the bench. I'm glad to hear that the build isn't just giving you some enjoyment but also some therapy for your hands. Hope those improvements continue for you. 

I built the AFV release of the kit years ago so I can relate to some of the challenges you're facing with regards to the fit. That being said, I may get another as it's the only 2 seater option around. 

Carl

• Like 5

Hello Peter, nice subject, looks spot on, those iaf birds really look good in their camouflage colors, I started myself a while back with a hasegawa F16, and ordered some aftermarket from isradecal, ( they made conversion sets for the Barak version) unfortunately no longer available , is still waiting for me on the shelf of doom to finish, will be following your build with interest, so far it looks stunning,

Greetz,

Frank

• Like 5

Carl

A challenge for sure but still great to be back at the bench. Of course, comparing the Sufa to your Model Hiro Factory kit, it's not in the same ballpark.Would love to see you tackle another Sufa or even the F16D version.

I have been finding just using my hands for modeling has improved both the feel and ability to work with small parts. Three weeks ago, I still couldn't write, not even my name, so along with treatment, modeling is helping as I am also able to write.

Peter

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Frank .. much appreciated. Completely agree, love those IAF cammo schemes.  I know what you mean about missing out on Isracal upgrade sets and now have started to make it a point to buy anything they release I have an interest in or it's too late. I ordered three resin pieces for the Mirage IIIC and while they have been shipped, still waiting. As we use to say in the old days .. money in the bank

Peter 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

F-16I IAF Sufa

The Sufa is on the bench and under way. Being my first kit in years, finding, replacing modeling supplies and tools has been a nightmare, time consuming and very expensive. As my use of my hands slowly improve (bad setback this pastweek: chemo session and a Petscan) – I’m still plugging away and spending more time hand repainting details, which is the best therapy for me, as I’m determine to keep improving. I’ve been able to build and prime using the air brush – something I haven’t been able to do just a few weeks ago. Finally, my modeling supplies have been arriving the past few days and now I can continue to make progress on the sub-assemblies I’ve started so far.

Initial Impressions

I would rate the kit fair at best at this point and I do love Sofa’s. What Academy did for the most part, was use their F-16C/CG kit, added additional frets with the parts needed for the Sufa, with a lot of unused single seat Viper parts left unused on the frets. Unfortunately, they also eliminated some parts that should be used on the Sufa but aren’t – the gatling gun as an example– parts are in the kit, not in the instructions as the rear cockpit tub ran right through this area.

Hit list number One.

Part fit of the NSI intake, suffers from the same terrible fit of their single seat Vipers have been noted for. One word of caution, don’t build the Tamiya kit first which I did I had already built, as you will be plain old spoiled as to how the part fit should be.it.  

My initial plan was to build the kit OOB all the way but after spending many aggravating hours dealing with the NSI intake for the P&W F100 engine, watching videos I could find, nothing solved the problem – a badly designed assembly. I broke my golden rule for this initial build and bought the Zacto NSI intake. Some tweaking was needed as for all resin but for the most part, a boatload of issues was solved with just thew casting alone.

Hit list number two:

The Electric spine and conformal Fuel Tanks – close but no cigar in placement and fit. Getting them to fit as per my major reference: F-16I Sufa in IAF service by Ra’anan Weiss – this has to be the definitive reference for me and I bought it when the book was first released. Yes, it’s only accurate as per the printing, that’s more then enough. Need to know about IAF camo and the color change, it’s all in the book with FS numbers – BTW, the book is full color.   With more test fitting and tweaking, the electronic spine and conformal fuel tanks were installed as to my reference photos but there were gaps that needed to be dealt with. I used Milliput which added strength and filled the gap at the same time. Some final filler will be needed but that's to be expected. 

The Front Office  

No real issues here – just worked my way slowly through all the hand painting with some masking and air brushing for the side consoles – yes, a bit of artistic license was used. For the first time, I used the kit seats, added a few bits and pieces and they looked pretty good. What looks terrible are the seat belts and harnesses – way too thin but a good painting exercise just the same.  

Loadouts

I decided to decide on my load outs from the start and to make sure all the holes were drilled out in the lower wing panel - the outer pylon locating holes were not there! Most Sufa’s do not use the 600 gallon wing tanks due to the excessive weight they place on the wings and I opted for the 370 gallon tanks and photos seem to confirm this (300 gallon tanks are also commonly used). Load outs were chosen as per the cover photo from the book, so I was OK – more latter in the build. 

Paints: MRP .

Hand painting: Model Air and Tamiya

I’ve finally figured out how to post photos and I keep all my build photos on Image Shack – just my way of doing it, so here we go. 

Peter

Please checkout how tight the NSI intake sits to the underside of the fuselage after some tweaking.

Jt2fqS.jpg

8ZKggu.jpg

Electric Spine and Conformal Fuel tanks - lots of work getting them to fit and then the Milliput. some filler and a bit more clean up is needed

2BROfo.jpg

smdrli.jpg

Rear intake ducting, the kit NSI intake and the main gearbay waiting for a few more parts and painting gloss white

BvgbRN.jpg

The Front Office - loads of work but awesome therapy for me

mt3rtF.jpg

Impressive start Peter! It seems to be a challenging project but you are so well prepared to solve all problems arising. 
The cockpit is simply stunning! 
Great work overall and I can‘t wait for your next update! It‘s sit back and enjoy!  :popcorn:

BTW: Can you tell me where I can get such a wooden support you use? I‘m quite interested in getting one.

Thanks in advance and cheers

Kai

• Like 4

Hi Kai

Much appreciated ... and just enjoying the journey.

I bought the stand pretty close to nearly 10 years ago and I'm sure they make much better ones then my trusty work horse.  All I call find written on the stand: JH Models #4801A - hope it helps

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Wolf

Thanks for checking in on the Sufa start. Hopefully, once the intake assembly is completed and done, the rest should be smoother sailing.

Looking forward to you starting a build thread for the WNW DR1 - no doubt, it's going to be a beauty

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• Like 3

Peter , it’s great see you back at the bench and producing your signature high quality modelling. Only have done one jet in 50 years you may just inspire me to have a go again........great to hear the Hans are starting to function again......

• Like 3

Thanks Phil

Feels good to be back and after a rough chemo.Petscan this past week, I'm going to need a few days off from working - as everything is very sore.

Give a jet a try mow and then -helps break up the pace and keep the juices flowing.

Peter

• Like 3