The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The Ultimate Squirrel

TJTX

I've finally been distracted by my ultimate squirrel build.  I'll be leaving modeling for a number of years as I embark on my number one bucket list item of building my own aircraft.   It's been my dream as long as I've been around airplanes (which is a very long time) to build my own airplane.   As I'm now closer to 40 than 30, and with my father creeping closer to 70 than 60 , I decided it's now or never.  So, I put a downpayment on the first half of a Fisher Horizon  2 and started prepping my garage for the upcoming project.   I have it planned out for 5 years based on other build times and my available schedule.   My parents will be spending 4 months a year near us in the metroplex so my dad can be apart of the build as well and my mom can see her grandchild a lot more.  I cant explain how absolutely over the moon I am about pursuing my lifes goal.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, smitty44 said:

WIP?

I can certainly share as I go along.  The wing kit is what's coming first.  I'll build those up so I can hang them in the garage then build up the fuselage. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jeff said:

The Ultimate scale model, way to go Tony !! Time spent with your dad will be a treasure you will always hold on to.... so cool.... hugs to 'Cubby' eh, Pal

Absolutely.   And this will be something to share with her and help her remember grandpa too.  I've even got a tail number picked out which is her birthday and initials. 

• Like 3

Wow, congratulations Tony. Great to fulfil a dream like this and involve your folks.

Just hope the quality of the kit parts is better than some manufacturers....  as one of the three masochists building the Italeri Mirage here at the moment, it couldn't be worse! :D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Wow, congratulations Tony. Great to fulfil a dream like this and involve your folks.

Just hope the quality of the kit parts is better than some manufacturers....  as one of the three masochists building the Italeri Mirage here at the moment, it couldn't be worse! :D

The major construction is wood, so it fits as well as I can measure and cut.  They do accomplish a large amount of the more difficult cuts and slotting to help you.  All I need major tools wise is a table top belt sander, band saw, drill press, and router, and compound miter saw.  I've picked up tho ones I didn't have already.   Next is building my 16' workbench.  The key is its straight, square, and strong. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Not quite in the same league but I've always wanted to build a cedar strip canoe. Got most of the tools now, built a garage big enough, just need to convince Sue....

Carl

Really it ain't that different.   The major stuff with mine is wood held together with T88 epoxy.   The only big difference is the added internal components.   You should go for it!

• Like 5

• Administrators

Tony, hmmmm.

This does look a bit, ummm, Bellanca-ish.  Or, hang on, it’s not Bellance anymore, Champion? Ish?  Heck, whoever makes the bloody Citabria, those guys!  
like the Citabria had a kid. 

AEBD93D2-1A49-4A46-BDC4-981C79D46DDD.jpeg

• Like 5

That's what I love about it.  Its absolutely my roots.  Its horsepower range and useful load are exactly the same as a Champ.  Its specifically designed to carry a larger pilot like myself too.  The owner of the company talked a good while with me on the phone about options and build choices that can further my comfort in it.  Of course mine wont be painted like that.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Now you’re gonna force me to finish that Deuce, and get that black hole up in Oklahoma back in the air.

You get a new plane, I get an empty wallet.  You just threw out the challenge flag.

Funny about low and slow, but I had looked into the Air Cam a while back.  Twin engines, a massive useful load, slow and fun.  I really, really like that thing, but it’s one high dollar homebuilt. 
twin 914s, twin reduction boxes, and twin props.  But no feathering?    But sitting g almost on a beam is too much for me. Even sliding the hood back on the T-6 freaks out my wife, so getting her into the Air Cam would be an exercise in futility.  

• Like 5

The air cam is cool as all get out but your 40k in just on the engines.   I should be able to have the Horizon all built up for 40k.  Gonna probably run a Continental C-85.  Great mix of weight and enough power for the aircraft.   Going Day/Night VFR so nothing fancy upfront.  Very basic instruments, since I spend my working time staring at complex avionics.   I've seen it built with both spring steel gear and bungee style.  If I can I'll go spring steal and then I've got a really cool paint scheme picked out.  Of course you'll have to come by and check it out once I get into it.!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Congrats on taking the ultimate step, you are only here once......I’m the wrong side of 60 to contemplate even a historic car build let alone a 1:1 scale plane.......

I hit that realization that if I'm going to accomplish it I just have to pull the trigger and make it happen.   I'm not going to have more time in 5 or 10 years.  And I dont want to lose the opportunity to share this with people very important to me.   I've lived most of my life afraid of "what if?". Its kept me from things that I regret now.  I dont want to live that way any more, and I dont want my Daughter to learn to live afraid. 

• Like 4

Tony

Congratulations on going for your dream. Please keep us posted as you progress through your homebuilt project.

When I was first married in 1971, I went to work and fulfilled dream number one and bought a Piper PA22 Colt. I loved that plane but family and work and one day, I sold the Colt. My secret passion was to build a homebuilt and that was a dream that remained nothing more then a dream.

I’ll be pulling for you and eagerly looking forward to updates.

Best of luck and blue skies

Keep ‘em comin

Peter 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Tony, I’ll be there. Gotta see this in person.  Yes, the Air Cam is actually 65K for both engines, gearboxes, accessories, and props. Now, the props don’t even feather, so who on earth would fly a real twin with non feathering props.  Seems like a quick way to the scene of the crash. 
That Air Cam is a 120K project.  I’m just as well to finish the Black Hole. 

• Like 4

Garage transformation is progressing nicely.  Got some new shelving units, hung some cabinets, and got my lumber for my build table.  A few more weeks and it should be ready to receive the wing kit.

• Like 6